Reverse lights adjustments - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robinls5

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 15th, 20, 5:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Reverse lights adjustments

1971 El Camino 454, M22 w/ all reverse factory hardware connected w/ factory tilt wheel 4 spd column. In trying to clear bugs on fresh restoration I started w/ reverse lights on only while in reverse. Now I am getting reverse lights on while in forward gears . I,ve tried adjusting rod from reverse on trans to column by turning column by hand until lights come on. then lock down nut on bottom of rod. Now it will not start because I moved column lever too far. so I released nut on bottom push column back up until I have start mode and it locks shifter in reverse and able to remove keys. problem still is getting reverse lights to work while shifter in reverse gear. I noticed the electrical switch on the bottom of column inside has slots for adjustment . when i first put everything together I had all this working properly w/o much effort now after a couple of shakedown rides its all screwy. what am I doing wrong?
thanks Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 15th, 20, 7:03 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Reverse lights adjustments

If your linkage is moving the column properly, as it sounds, and the neutral safety switch and column lock is working then I would play with the adjustment of the actual reverse light switch at the bottom of the column.

jim
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 15th, 20, 7:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I also have a 1970/ 454/M-22 El Camino. I would try..... Get everything working .......... THEN adjust the back/up light SWITCH, I think its like you said ,,The switch has slots, It will be a Tinker & play with it!...... " IF "....... You have a lot of parts that are not snug and or high mileage,,,, Adjusting may give you a headache.
Bob
LeoP likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 15th, 20, 8:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

thanks guys, will give it the old college try-(whatever that means-I went to school of hard knocks) tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks again , Tony
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 5:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Update : After hours of playing around w/ reserve rod to column and trying to adjust switch on column under dash I have come to one conclusion its the reverse light switch. Nothing else makes sense. when reverse is engaged and reverse rod put lever up to top of travel under hood I get lock out-column locked, keys able to come out and will only start in this position BUT NO REVERSE LIGHTS. when I move lever down until reverse lights come on I cannot lock ignition or get key out but reverse lights stay on in neutral and all forward gears and goes off in reverse. I am gonna remove switch and order new one from American auto wire.
I cannot think of anything else that would do this, can any of you come up w/ another reason? I'll be glad to hear it.
tony
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 8:11 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I'll let the Muncie experts chime in here, but I believe the reverse light switch should be on the transmission itself - i.e. triggered by the reverse rod. Was your car originally a floor shift automatic that was converted to a 4 speed?

jim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 12:56 AM
Levon

Try adjusting the switch at the base of the column. It can be rotated after looseining the 2 retainer screws.
Some pictures in here give you an idea. An ohm meter is your friend.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 6:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I tried adjusting the under dash reverse light switch w/ no luck. It actually had no effect on lights. I do believe I have an automatic switch on column because I have extra connection for neutral safety switch. The proper 4 spd switch only has reverse lights on it. This is a factory 4 spd set-up w/ correct 4 spd column. I had it built and restored but switch is wrong but should still work. I have reverse lights but only in forward gears. everything in this restoration is new.
I am gonna pull switch out to see if tab is broken. I just keep thinking switch is problem.
tony
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 8:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Ok everyone I found the problem. It was the switch under dash on lower column. The switch was for a 74-77 turbohydramatic trans. Thats why switch had neutral safety switch and resverse light switch all in one. When shifter is in reverse the column rotates under neutral safety part of switch. As you move shifter out of reverse and rotate column right the light switch is activated thus lights on in gear. I ordered two new switches. The first is a reverse light switch only that mounts to lower column and is activated when shifter is in reverse and column rotated all the way up or left. The neutral safety switch is separate and mounts to clutch lever under dash similar to brake light switch. These two new switches are for Factory 4 spds. Had I payed attention when rewiring dash I should have caught this but I did not. It was easy just taking the two plugs and connecting to one switch. My mistake! FYI the reverse light switch wires are pink & green and neutral safety switch are two purple. I purchased both switches from American Auto Wire for $50 each. Not cheap but better than buying taiwan pcs from local O'Riellys. I hope someone learns from my mistake . thanks to those who offered advice.
Have a great day.
tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in