Has anyone installed Digi-Tails taillights on a '67 Chevelle? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 20, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage
Has anyone installed Digi-Tails taillights on a '67 Chevelle?

Looking over the instructions, it says to "remove the taillight housing assembly from the car, then remove the 4 speed nuts that hold chrome bezel and lens onto the housing". I spoke with a local classic restoration shop and they said to remove the rear bumper first, to allow removal of the taillight housing assembly without damaging the paint.

I thought it was a simple as removing the 4 speed nuts on the backside of the housing.

If anyone has done this installation, I'd appreciate your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 20, 1:49 AM
Tech Team
John

I haven’t installed these but it makes sense to me that to remove the red taillight lens to install, you have to remove the 4 speed nuts that hold the chrome pot metal bezel onto the taillight housing. To get to those 4 speednuts you have to remove the taillight housing and I suspect that can’t be done with the bumper on. There might be a chance that you could loosen the bolts that hold the bumper brackets to the frame enough that you could slide the bumper rearward enough and tilt the top of the bumper away from the car enough to get the taillight buckets out but honestly I don’t think that saves you much work. Taking the bumper off is very easy. Either way it’s good to be careful not to scratch the paint and perhaps have a helper.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 20, 4:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage
Re: Has anyone installed Digi-Tails taillights on a '67 Chevelle?

Thanks John C.
Looking inside the trunk I can see the four threaded bolts with the speed nuts so it appears that when the nuts are removed the taillight bezel and lens comes right off. Apparently not. With my lack of experience and tools I think I'll leave it to my local restoration shop who has experience installing these lights in a '67.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust, Digi-Tails tail lights and front marker lights, 17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 20, 4:38 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky View Post
Thanks John C.
Looking inside the trunk I can see the four threaded bolts with the speed nuts so it appears that when the nuts are removed the taillight bezel and lens comes right off. Apparently not. With my lack of experience and tools I think I'll leave it to my local restoration shop who has experience installing these lights in a '67.
I am sure it is the same as my 68 and the housing goes under the bumper. Some people use a silicone type adhesive or other stuff to seal against water. Normally there is just a gasket and it comes off fairly easy after the 4 nuts are removed or it is just stuck. However better safe then sorry if you think this maybe more then you want to take on. Paying someone a hundred is better then painting your car again.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 20, 8:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Don't do it without taking the bumper off first. The taillight extension has a rolled lip on the bottom, you can't get them out with out the bumper moved. Maybe you could take it loose and slide back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 16th, 20, 1:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Don't do it without taking the bumper off first. The taillight extension has a rolled lip on the bottom, you can't get them out with out the bumper moved. Maybe you could take it loose and slide back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks to all for your replies. I'm definitely going to have it done at the restoration shop. They've installed DigiTails on a '67 before.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

I had my Digi-Tails taillights and front marker/turn signal lights installed today by my "private" mechanic who has done a bunch of work on my '67 Chevelle. They look great and I like the sequential flashing pattern. Nice bright brake lights should increase safety. I have a short video of them flashing but I couldn't get it to upload it by dragging it to this post.

Here's a YouTube video of them on another '67 Chevelle.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust, Digi-Tails tail lights and front marker lights, 17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have a set to install as soon as it gets out of paint.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Since I'm not able to post video of my new Digi-Tails tail lights directly, here's a YouTube link:

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 9:22 AM
Tech Team
Dan

WHy do they both shut off going to the left after letting off the brake pedal?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 4:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Oops, I edited my YouTube video and it broke the link above. Here's the new link:

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 4:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbo View Post
WHy do they both shut off going to the left after letting off the brake pedal?
I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. I don't know why they work that way. The other video I posted with the same Digi-Tails installed in a 67 Chevelle by Metalworks do the same except they shut off going to the right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in