Bluetooth stereo in glovebox - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tonys451
  • 1 Post By Dkar26
  • 1 Post By SSuper Dave
  • 1 Post By Grock-co

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey - just wanted to share something that worked for me. I was able to install a modern Bluetooth stereo in the glove box by using a universal fit under dash stereo mounting bracket. The modern head unit is quite a bit shorter than stereos of the past, so by cutting the bracket to only fit the depth of the stereo, it slides right into the glovebox, and door closes nicely, almost like it was designed for it.

Cut a hole in the back of the glovebox for wiring and no other mods. I stuck on some 1/4‚€¬¬Ě weatherstripping on the bottom to keep it from moving around, and thats it. I can take it out very easily whenever I want, and stays put. Routed the usb cord down to the console in case I want to plug in/charge my phone.

The original stereo doesnt even work, but I like the original look.

Im sure there are other, better ways out there, but heres another option .

Hope everyone is staying inside and safe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101C6BA6-8951-4E4D-8343-6A215FAA3000_1585672666934.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	621312   Click image for larger version

Name:	84C928D9-8EF4-40FE-BD82-5EA572F0CCA8_1585672804768.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	621314  
LeoP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 3:10 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
Re: Bluetooth stereo in glovebox

I did the same thing, except I had a box built.
Much better radio reception now.
Donít use it too much anyway...the sound of the car is much more relaxing and interesting than whatís on the radio.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11298041-EC6C-467A-B640-CEBBB485632E.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	621338  
LeoP likes this.

Restomodded 1970 Chevelle SS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 2:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonys451 View Post
Hey - just wanted to share something that worked for me. I was able to install a modern Bluetooth stereo in the glove box by using a universal fit under dash stereo mounting bracket. The modern head unit is quite a bit shorter than stereos of the past, so by cutting the bracket to only fit the depth of the stereo, it slides right into the glovebox, and door closes nicely, almost like it was designed for it.

Cut a hole in the back of the glovebox for wiring and no other mods. I stuck on some 1/4‚Ĭ¬Ě weatherstripping on the bottom to keep it from moving around, and thats it. I can take it out very easily whenever I want, and stays put. Routed the usb cord down to the console in case I want to plug in/charge my phone.

You say it's "quite a bit shorter", so, I'm guessing it's a digital media receiver and does NOT have a CD player, correct? CD players are about the same depth as the stock radio, I believe. Will a CD player fit this way? A lot of folks have mentioned doing this but maybe they are not using the under dash housing/mount like you.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 9:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmchevelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonys451 View Post

Cut a hole in the back of the glovebox for wiring and no other mods. I stuck on some 1/4‚€¬¬¬Ě weatherstripping on the bottom to keep it from moving around, and thats it. I can take it out very easily whenever I want, and stays put. Routed the usb cord down to the console in case I want to plug in/charge my phone.

You say it's "quite a bit shorter", so, I'm guessing it's a digital media receiver and does NOT have a CD player, correct? CD players are about the same depth as the stock radio, I believe. Will a CD player fit this way? A lot of folks have mentioned doing this but maybe they are not using the under dash housing/mount like you.
Correct, it’s a digital media only, no CD player. I dont believe a CD player will fit in the glovebox with the stereo housing I’m using.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 10:19 PM
Team Member
Dave

I have used a cd player in a '71 glovebox, it was fastened to the top or 'oof' of the glovebox with a small hole for wiring, and the door closed.
Rmchevelle likes this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 12:14 AM
Tech Team
Greg

I just gutted the stock AM/FM stereo, installed the blue tooth receiver in it. You don’t need access to it with a remote.
Blown1932 likes this.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 1:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Here’s a better pic. The top edge of the stereo container sits flush against the bottom edge of the inner glove box lip. It fits snug inside but I can slide the box out at any time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D9CDA426-93ED-43BF-892E-295E383A2E5B_1586453247573.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	622394  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 3:59 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

I went with a retrosound BT in dash, looks good and sounds good. I can certainly understand someone wanting the original look with an additional BT radio though. However AC plastic glove boxes are like gold and wouldn't cut a hole in it knowing how hard they are to find..if you can find one
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 8:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Y'all know you can get an amp that has BT and completely ditch the head unit, right? Nothing in the glove box, but only a small amp under the passenger seat or trunk.

'69 Malibu
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 20, 8:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2Fast View Post
Y'all know you can get an amp that has BT and completely ditch the head unit, right? Nothing in the glove box, but only a small amp under the passenger seat or trunk.
did not know that. That’s great to know for future. In my case I did also want charging access for my phone and hands free calling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in