Dakota Digital - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 7:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Re: Dakota Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveezy View Post
They both look great but I don't care for the huge clock for the RTX plus it only goes to 120mph 😂

Leaning towards the HDX as I want to change up the look...then would just need to decide on face color..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 7:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I like the HDX.

I chose the black face with white backlighting and I love it. I really wanted a gauge that would look great and be easy to read during night time driving.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 8:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
I like the HDX.

I chose the black face with white backlighting and I love it. I really wanted a gauge that would look great and be easy to read during night time driving.

Chris,

I think the option you have looks great! probably will be the way I go...I "think" the whiteface would look good.. I KNOW the blackface would
-SS454- and shovelrick like this.

post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 8:38 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
When I built my El Camino my initial plan was to go with AutoMeter gauges. But after pricing out everything I wanted the cost was the same as the HDX system. Plus the Ď68 has the ridiculous square gauge pods so Iíd have to be fabricating quite a bit to get everything I wanted to fit. I was actually reluctant to go with the DD stuff over the good old round analog gauges. But now that Iím there, Iím spoiled. For me, the best part is being able to set warning points for every sender and senders can be added very easily. I decided as an afterthought to add a transmission temperature gauge. Plug in the add-on module and itís done. I later switched to a GPS speedometer and it was an easy plug-in. I donít even need to have a particular gauge displayed to get a warning. I can have no sub-gauges displayed but if I get an overheat condition I get a red glow and even an audible alarm if I want.

To each, his own. Iíd love to have a set of AutoMeter gauges in this car. But the shape of the dash just makes it too difficult.
How is that GPS speedo? I'm close to putting my car together and this is something I have to install. I also got the ambient air temp sensor and compass ( I believe ) that's part of the GPS bim.

Being as I'm going LS engine and running a GM computer, I don't have to add any sensors just plug into the OBDII port. I get tach, oil, water, and volt. Transmission gear location for automatic. And TPMS if you want.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

66 CHEVELLE
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

if you change tires often (street tires to drag tires or whatever) then I definitely recommend going with the GPS speedo bim. I will likely do that upgrade at some point.
senna likes this.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 1:40 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Quote:
I like the HDX.

Good choice -- same here with my HDX. My mechanic and I chose the whitee backlighting with red needles when he first finished the install. I still haven't played with some of the other color combinations.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust, Digi-Tails tail lights and front marker lights, 17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 2:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I only have the VHX gauges as I wanted to stay somewhat original looking. It's crazy how much of a difference in makes in the driving experience at night when the gauges are crystal clear. I love the fact you toggle all sorts of info into the digital read outs.

I would say it has been by far my most satisfying upgrade.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 6:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
I only have the VHX gauges as I wanted to stay somewhat original looking. It's crazy how much of a difference in makes in the driving experience at night when the gauges are crystal clear. I love the fact you toggle all sorts of info into the digital read outs.

I would say it has been by far my most satisfying upgrade.

The VHX would probably be all I need, I am not a techy or much of a tinkerer with all the features stuff has. I am having a hard time justifying the extra 400-500 bucks just for more bells and whistles that I would probably never use.
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 6:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

One thing about the HDX is that the buttons are integrated into the dash. With the VHX, you have to install the two buttons somewhere else.

Not a big deal, but just one more little nicety of the HDX.

Another thing about the HDX is I believe the text/notification display is a little more comprehensive and customizable than the VHX version.

If you have a sweep dash, the HDX and VHX versions have the tach and speedo locations swapped. The temp and volts gauge locations are also swapped. The HDX gauge sweeps are slightly larger than the VHX gauge sweeps.

I have the VHX version sweep version (HDX wasn't a choice when I bought mine - not sure I would have bought HDX either though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats70ss View Post
The VHX would probably be all I need, I am not a techy or much of a tinkerer with all the features stuff has. I am having a hard time justifying the extra 400-500 bucks just for more bells and whistles that I would probably never use.
-SS454- likes this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 8:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

I hate decisions! Lol
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats70ss View Post
I hate decisions! Lol
I know Iíve already chimed in. Iíve got the HDX in my Ď68. Their new series (canít remember what they call it) that more closely resembles the stock gauges looks to have only one information ďwindowĒ where the HDX has two. I personally like to have quite a bit of information displayed. Unless Iím just not seeing it right the HDX seems to be able to give you the most information.
-SS454- and B52bombardier1 like this.
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 2:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

in the end I will probably pony up the extra and get the black face HDX. Better to have features I wont need to not have something.

as I said I will make it worth someone's while to come and spend a weekend this winter and help me install this

Just hope the world is back in a more normal place by then...
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 20, 4:47 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Wow, what a timely thread I just stumbled across! I have in my possession the black face Dakota Digital HDX series gauges for my '66. I also ordered the GPS-50-2 for GPS speed, compass, altimeter and clock, and the cheap add-on SEN-15-1 for air temperature.

Just got the dash all blown apart. I was pretty anxious about this, but in the end if was very straightforward. Took me about 2 hours, and I was being slow and bagging and labeling all the bolts, screws etc. and taking pictures. (I've since removed the heater control cables to get it out of the way).

I've cleaned out tons of old wiring from radios, old gauges, etc. Now I'm ready to start putting it back together; bought some sound/heat suppressor mat for the firewall and underside of the dash. New dash pad, all new dash chrome, etc. The install of the HDX seems *very* easy. Just a wire for battery power, accessory power, ground and that's about it. Then connections for each gauge.

I specifically came across this thread while searching out where to mount the control boxes. I saw the one photo for mounting the control box above the glove box. Not sure if that's possible on the '66...

So that's what I'd like to know: Where did you guys with '66-'67 Chevelles mount the control boxes? From reading the instructions, it seems there may be times when you have to access the control box to push button(s) on them?

And what did you do with all the old wiring connections for the gauges, and the wiring for the dash lighting? Cap them off, remove them...? I was thinking of using one of the gray dash light wires to wire to the control box for indicating when the lights come on (they say to tap into the taillights, but this way seems the same).

I'm excited to get it back together and try it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_150005.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	623414  

1966 Chevelle SS, 355 V-8, TH-350.
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 20, 5:02 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Hello Tom,

Except for a short length of dome light wiring, every inch of other wiring in my El Camino got removed and discarded. In went an American Auto Wire "Classic Update" harness and my SS-style HDX gauges lashed up to that new wiring very nicely.

My main HDX control box is down and to the left of the AC/heater controls sort of above the radio. My transmission control "PRNODD21" module is to the drivers side of the glove box. It could go on top of the glove box but my LS engine powertrain control module occupies that spot. I'm not running the GPS speedometer or any of their other "BIM" devices.

Rick
Gunn317 likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 20, 1:19 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
Hello Tom,

In went an American Auto Wire "Classic Update" harness and my SS-style HDX gauges lashed up to that new wiring very nicely.
Wow, that American Auto Wire harness is really nice! But I will have to wait on that...maybe next time the dash is apart when I add air conditioning. Couldn't afford any more for now!

1966 Chevelle SS, 355 V-8, TH-350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in