Need some advice - removing kill switch by PO - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 3:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Need some advice - removing kill switch by PO

Hello all,
Looking for a little advice/help here, I don't have much experience working on vehicles. ( looking to change that now that I have a classic )
I've got a 67 SS 396, and I want to remove the kill switch installed by previous owner. It's a pretty cheap little toggle switch that's connected direct to the battery, for total power kill.

It's got 2 wires from the switch. I removed the one wire that was connected to the + terminal, and the other was connected to a wire coming from junction box mounted on front frame. I took the wire coming direct from the junction box and connected it to the + terminal. ( which from what I can find, belongs there.)
Now the only thing is there seems to be constant power inside the car, as if the key is in ignition and turned to on... even though the key isn't in the ignition.

Am I missing a connection somewhere?

Any suggestions appreciated,
Thanks in advance.
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 9:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Re: Need some advice - removing kill switch by PO

Post a picture of the "junction box" you referred to.

Does the wiring otherwise look un molested or are there wires hanging down in places?

About where are you located?

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 9:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Hey Verle,
Thanks for the response.. I'm trying to figure out how to post/insert pictures, doesn't seem to let me though..
I used the term "Junction box/block" only cause I saw that on a diagram somewhere.. it really just looks like a ground almost, bolted to the frame right above the headlight wires on front engine compartment.

I started looking at wiring up under the dash, and it looks like some modifications have definitely been made, though it looks mostly for the stereo and some gauges previous owner installed. Again, I'll try to figure out how to attach pictures, but the 2 weird looking modifications I see is a connection with a 1 solid purple & 1 purple white stripe connection, and it has a makeshift "loop" wire connection on the other end. ( not sure if this was supposed to go to factory stereo )

And the second one that got my attention (because of color pink - ignition?) is a connection with a green and pink wire(s) going in one end of connection, and has the stereo red wire (marked ignition) spliced in with the pink wire, but the actual connection isn't otherwise plugged into anything. Again, maybe this pink and green wire connector was for original stereo..
Will be easier with pics I know.. I'll keep trying.

I'm up in Alberta, Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Junction box1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	613896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition tie in.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	613898   Click image for larger version

Name:	not sure loop.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	613900   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Fuse Box.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	613902  

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

well the 3rd one down,.they jumped the neutral safety switch so the car will start in drive or reverse.
JChilders and B67SS396 like this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:32 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The pink and green looks like the back up light switch plug from the neutral safety switch.

BTW, the fuse holder clips are getting pretty rusty.
B67SS396 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

the wire that was interrupted with the switch sounds like the main accessory wire which should be hooked to the battery like you now have. Now why is the car still on? ???
what is stating on? stereo could be just wired to the always hot on the fuse box and if the gauges are wired into the hot wire then it's going to be powered up. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech Team

I'm going to SUGGEST with capitol letters, is any time you are not working on the car from now on is to disconnect the battery until things are right and safe.

Who knows what was done and what might be revealed the further you dig into things.

You may want to find a decent electrical diagram to see what you have and how it was originally.

I know a lot of people shy away from electrical but it's pretty basic in the stock form.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

In the picture of the fuse block, the bottom wire plugged into a post marked battery. That is un switched, un fused wire. Trace that wire, what is it connected to?...doesn't look original.

Do you have a wiring diagram for your car. I think you need to start checking wires against the diagram, someone has "messed" things up.

You need to get the GM service manuals for your car. They will have lots pictures and explanations about things on your car.

Chassis service manual
Chassis overhaul manual
Assembly manual
Fisher body manual

Chevelle vendors might have them. There are some on Ebay.
B67SS396 likes this.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

`Is that a 4 speed car?

Purple wire with the loop in it is the starter circuit. The loop was added to bypass the neutral safety switch. If removed, the starter will not turn over when the key is turned to start.

That is a junction block on the radiator support. It is isolated from ground. A wire should lead from the batt + terminal to the junction box. This wire should be equipped with a fusible link to protect it and the run over to the horn relay and from there into the cab of the car to supply power to all electrical ...headlights, lamps, stereo. anything powered by the fuse panel.

Leave your key off and pull the red wire in your fuse box marked IGN FUSED. Check to see if there is power at either of the terminal there. Then check to see if there is power on the wire you pulled out. It could power all circuits on the ignition side with the key off if it is hot.

If that's not it, we'll have to dig deeper, because all items powered by the ignition switch should be off when the switch is off. Sort of suspecting the stereo wiring hook up is causing the issue at this point and some on installed the goofy switch to kill power to everything in the cab.

It's also possible that the ignition switch is bad and the contacts are not disconnecting properly, allowing power to stay on when the switch is in the off position. You can check this by pulling the IGN switch and testing the terminals.

What does that tag on the red wire say? The one leading to the plug with pink and green wire?
B67SS396 likes this.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Hey Thanks for all the advice everyone!
I'll start going through all the suggestions and see what more is happening.
One thing I just noticed, is that without putting the key in, the radio does not work... but the "Gen" light on dash is always on, even though key not inserted..
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the help... The radio doesn't work without putting the key in and turn, but the "Gen" light stays on constant without inserting the key...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gen Light.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	613904  
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

The red wire with the tag on it is your stereo power when the key is in the on position. The red wire to the fuse block battery terminal is probably the stereo memory wire. As others have said the 2 jumpered purple wires is your start circuit. You probably need to redo the wiring mods that the amateur hack performed previously.
What distributor are you running?
B67SS396 likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verle View Post
In the picture of the fuse block, the bottom wire plugged into a post marked battery. That is un switched, un fused wire. Trace that wire, what is it connected to?...doesn't look original.
If they are using the terminal marked BAT.FUSED as an output into the terminal with the blue covering crimped onto the brownish wire and then connected to the red wire with the orange wire nut then I have to think this is fuse protected BUT if one has power coming in the other way it may not be protected by the fuse in the fuse block. It's hard to say what way the power may be flowing in the picture.

For reference, here is a fuse block I have out of a Chevelle from that era:

Looking at the above photo how the red wire is on the backside of the fuse block is if it broke off on the backside and then someone spliced it back in on the frontside of the fuse block and now this is how the OP's fuse block looks now ?.

Jim
427L88 and B67SS396 like this.

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B67SS396 View Post
the "Gen" light stays on constant without inserting the key...
With this issue, disconnect the battery when not working on the car.

You have some issues and I don't think it's going to be just one thing.

Jim
427L88 and B67SS396 like this.

post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Just ran down and traced the wires from the Fuse Box..
The Bottom right one to the BAT. Fused spot goes to the Temp & Oil Gauges that were installed by previous owner.
Above that in the IGN. Fused spot, it goes to the stereo he installed.

The other two on the left side look to be for aftermarket electric fan in front engine compartment.

It is a 396 / 4 Speed.. so thanks for advising on the Purple ones bypassing a neutral safety switch.. I was wondering where that even was..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuse Box.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	613906   Click image for larger version

Name:	67SS396.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	613908  
427L88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in