Preferred Complete Wiring Kit Question(s) - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

13Likes
  • 4 Post By blm
  • 1 Post By SSJohn
  • 2 Post By blm
  • 1 Post By blm
  • 1 Post By Slick87gn
  • 2 Post By JChilders
  • 1 Post By Molly's 70
  • 1 Post By Philip

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 1:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Question Preferred Complete Wiring Kit Question(s)

Brand/Kit you used on your 64-72 re-wire upgrade?

Wiring & Dashes are my least favorite/least-experienced items to get involved in, but need your feedback how user-friendly your kit was, before making this major purchase.

Best case basis, how many approx. hours are to be expected for 2 well-seasoned car guys to install dash, fuse box at inner firewall & other cabin runs?

Engine compartment? Trunk?

Advice you wish you'd had? ~ TIA!

In case the 2 geezers get interrupted by a medical team, & it must be farmed-out, what is a best guess for a reasonable cost of an install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 11:19 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: Preferred Complete Wiring Kit Question(s)

Well it kind of makes a little bit of difference what year you are doing as some differences between years especially in the instrument wiring.
I used and very much liked the American Auto Wire Classic Update Kit. It is of high quality and as easy to follow as any other. They also have great tech support. One thing i did and recommend is I bought the Tool Aid brand crimpers which were cheaper and much more versatile than the AAW crimpers.
Another thing I did was as the interior pretty much needs dismantled to install the kit correctly I took the opportunity to treat the floorpan and install sound deadener. Also installed a new headliner and treated roof as one cannot rewire the dome light without removing the headliner.
Hard to say how much time i had into the rewire as I did other projects along the way. But i would guesstimate that two guys doing it for first time would have 25-35 hours in it.
Two tips i will give no matter what kit you use would be to get yourself a couple rolls of "harness" tape which is not electrical tape. Also get some dialectric grease and use it on the connections to prevent corrosion and to make then easier to connect nd disconnect.
It will be expensive to have someone else do the install and you can do just as good or better than someone else.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 12:12 PM
Tech Team
John

Aaw classic update here too for my 70, dash, fuse box and interior should not take more than 5 hrs with two of you. If no experience with wiring, maybe 10. As for the rest of the wiring, youíre looking at 10-20 more hours. This is based off my experience, Iím very good with wiring, and made several mods to fit my needs. YMMV.
Have a buddy with a 69 442, factory harness install cost him 800 plus the kit, which I thought was a little steep, but they did a good job.
Tarheel Chevelle likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 2:03 PM
Travis

I also purchased the AAW classic update kit for my 1970. I haven't started the install yet, which crimpers do y'all recommend? $150 for the AAW crimpers seems steep.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 2:36 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftster View Post
which crimpers do y'all recommend?
This set Tool Aid #18920. You want a set with changeable jaws. This will do everything the AAW crimpers will and much more.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 3:04 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Another recommendation I will make. One should consider upgrading their instrument bulbs to LED bulbs during a rewire. I did the upgrade and highly recommend it. I am not a huge poroponet of the LED bulbs for other lights such as tail lights etc but they make a huge difference in the dash. Did not change the turn signal indicators as that requires a different flasher and the high beam indicator as I found several that said that was too bright but I highly recommend the others as well as the under dash/ footwell lighting, dome light, console light. Superbright leds offer everything one needs and are good quality.
I went with the Amber (warm) bulbs which is as close to the tone of incadescent as one will get.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...etrofit-car/3/
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 3:20 PM
Tech Team

Garage

American autowire hands down.
busterwivell likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 4:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

I have used American auto wire and M&H. Both companies have a fantastic product. I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 4:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Definitely American Autowire.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 4:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

I used M&H for my 70. It was perfect. Not a single issue. Plug & play.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 4:47 PM
Tech Team
Garret

I am in the process of doing a Painless kit.... but I got the car with no wring at all. Seems like the kit is well thought out and the instruction book doesn’t just show where things go, but explains why you do certain things. So it teaches you as you go. Been pretty happy with it, though mine is a custom install.

Cheers!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 5:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

I got my factory exact replacement kit from Lectric Limited for my 67. The only modified part is provision for HEI distributor. Haven't installed it yet, but appears to be completely plug and play, no crimpers required.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 9:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shawn

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I only saw 1 or 2 responses mention Painless. Other than the obvious price difference, what is so great about Painless over AAW? I know every wire has the circuit labeled on the wire casing, are they plug n play, no ends to crimp? My plan is to change to modern mechanical gauges, other than that the harness shouldn't have to be any different than the stock requirements. Thanks guys!

Shawn

Mel0Yel068
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech Team

Another vote for M andH. No way to screw it up, plugs can only go in 1 place. I know nothing about electronics, cut nothing literally plugged into place.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 1:59 PM
Administrator

Garage

AAW and their crimpers if doing a Classic Update harness. I have the tool with multiple crimping jaws and never use it. The AAW crimpers and the other Delco/Packard crimpers are used all the time. I will be starting the install of the 11th AAW kit in a few weeks.
Leo Paugh likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in