71 chevelle wiring issuse - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 2:07 PM Thread Starter
Dave

71 chevelle wiring issuse

Hello, New to the site. I recently purchased a 71 chevelle. about 3 weeks back my horns started going off all on there own,I was in the house. no one in or near the car. Now when I open the door the dome light is dim,pull the head light switch it goes more dim. no headlights,power to anything at all. Will not crank,etc. previous owner attempted 1 wire alt set up and was done incorrectly.I have removed the engine harness to check all wires. It is in really good condition, not chopped up. Ign switch maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 3:10 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: 71 chevelle wiring issuse

Battery fully charged?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 3:15 PM Thread Starter
Dave

yes, fully charged. when I connect the charger 2 lights on the dash light up. car will not jump start.It started when I purchased it. after the horn issue is when it would not do anything.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 3:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

I would go out and buy what they call a multimeter. A multimeter can do things like checking voltages, and can do other things like checking resistances (ohms). You want a meter that can check DC voltages from anywhere from 0-20 volts and then resistances from 0 ohms to infinity. Some meters are flexible too to where they can also check higher voltages and also AC as well as amperage draw.

Without a meter trying to figure out electrical will be hard to do. If you wanted to know how much a bolt or nut is torqued, you would buy the tool to check that kind of thing.

While you can get a test light also, a test light will not be as flexible or give as much information as what a meter can give.

It sounds like now with a dim dome light and no headlights you may have a battery power issue so you may want to put the battery on a battery charger to charge it up and see what happens. A battery charger may have different settings so check to see where they need to be set at. Maybe too, disconnect the battery cables off of the battery and charge the battery itself. If you are having a drain on the battery then power off of the charger will not be all going to the battery but instead into the battery and then trying to supply the power drain in the car itself.

Jim
71350SS and onemorechevelle like this.

Always working on something:

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 3:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Check the connectors at the horn relay buss bar for power and make sure they are clean. Clean your batt terminals and their attachment points. Ther's a red wire that goes from the batt to the bussbar and supplies power through the bussbar connector to another wire that runs into the cab for ignition, lights and just about everything in the cab. These wires are protected by fusible links, so if you lose power in the run to the cab, your fusible link is toast.

You need a test light or ohm/voltage meter to help you find your issue. I sort of suspect the horn issue is another issue unless a power wire is shorting to the horn wire. The horn circuit receives power from the bussbar at the horn relay, there's a wire that runs to the steering wheel that once shorted activates the switch in the horn relay which powers the horn function.

What voltage are you showing at the battery?
onemorechevelle likes this.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 3:36 PM Thread Starter
Dave

Thanks Jim, I have tried as you have suggested. My charger has a start feature also bt nothing happens. Multi meter is on the list. Previous owner was shooting for a 1 wire alt setup and was not done correctly. had a wire going directly from battery to the alt.also 1 wire to terminal block on firewall and running to horn relay and back to alt. nothing at 2 pin connector at alt. so there were 2 wire going to alt, Dave
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 3:40 PM Thread Starter
Dave

Battery is fairly new, has full charge. charger has jump start option,still nothing I have checked all grnd wires under the hood.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 3:57 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorechevelle View Post
Battery is fairly new, has full charge. charger has jump start option,still nothing I have checked all grnd wires under the hood.
Is it a gel battery? How do you know it has a full charge? The level of charge should be confirmed with a mutimeter.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 4:53 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Full charge is established with a load test for the delivery of amps, not a multimeter. A multimeter only indicates the voltage which is merely half of the equation for power. Remember - volts x amps = watts = power, the ability to do useful work.

It doesn't matter if the battery indicates 12, 13, 14 or whatever volts. If it can't deliver sufficient amps, its dead. We need volts AND a whole lotta' amps to spin a starter motor. The load test is usually a free service at any auto parts store.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 4:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I don't know why you wouldn't have power to anything but I always ask this question first. By any chance did you mess around with the steering column. There is a collar right behind the steering wheel that has to be turned all the way counterclockwise. Try that and see if it starts.
onemorechevelle likes this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 5:14 PM Thread Starter
Dave

My charger has a voltage test feature, out of the car it takes and holds a charge.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 5:16 PM Thread Starter
Dave

Have not messed with the column but will check
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 5:28 PM Thread Starter
Dave

The main issue seems to be what,where and why is causing the problem. fresh charge on battery,installed in car, dome light is dim. I pulled headlight switch to on an the dome light gets so dim you can hardly see it. i disconnected the H L switch and the dome still goes dim. turn the key to start. absolutely nothing. no clicks etc. I have pulled the harness out and plan to go through it. previous owner tried to do a 1 wire alt hookup and was incorrectly wired.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 5:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Did you get a volt meter? Without it we can't help you.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 5:41 PM Thread Starter
Dave

also, the car was starting and running before the issue with the horns going off by themselves. coincidence maybe? I don't know. I appreciate all the response to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
71 chevelle , wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in