Windshield Washer Pump Issue - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 9:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marco

Garage
Windshield Washer Pump Issue

Hi guys,

72 Skylark.

I replaced my windsheild washer pump with this unit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/opg-ch26136/

The unit now actuates but does not move much water. I hear the thing clicking and trying to move the fluid but almost nothing comes out.

I am using the original wiper motor.

It has probably been a long time since aasher fluid flowed.

I did blow out the lines to clear them.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 10:06 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
Re: Windshield Washer Pump Issue

Suggest blowing in the windshield washer tank while someone else pushes the button. This will pressurize the tank forcing fluid into the lines.
Or put the reservoir up higher than the pump so gravity helps in priming. Or there is a less optimum option, just suck on the hose like your trying to get gas out of your tank. But I would use plain water if your going to do this method at least until the lines are filled and its pumping like you want it too. There may not be enough vacuum from the pump to pull the fluid up to the pump. Once the lines are filled, you shouldn't have a problem.

Chris
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 1:49 PM

I had the same issue this year when replacing my Washer Pump on my 69 Chevelle. I returned the Pump for a replacement, and the replacement performed the same way. Clicking but not pumping. It looked like there was some issue with the teeth not engaging with the pawl. I decided to purchase another Pump from a second company. Sure enough it worked perfectly. The Pump looked nearly identical to the defective pumps, but there was enough of a difference to tell it was not from the same manufacturer. I let the first company know they probably have a bad batch of Pumps. You might want to try another supplier.

1969 Chevelle, badged SS396, Hugger Orange, 350, 700R4, 10 bolt, column shift with bench seat

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 2:56 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

Some of the fluid tanks had a filter on the suction tube that could become obstructed over time. If the filter is not restricted, suck fluid from the feed line at the pump to prime the pump. If it still pumps poorly, replace the pump.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marco

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCaffrey View Post
I had the same issue this year when replacing my Washer Pump on my 69 Chevelle. I returned the Pump for a replacement, and the replacement performed the same way. Clicking but not pumping. It looked like there was some issue with the teeth not engaging with the pawl. I decided to purchase another Pump from a second company. Sure enough it worked perfectly. The Pump looked nearly identical to the defective pumps, but there was enough of a difference to tell it was not from the same manufacturer. I let the first company know they probably have a bad batch of Pumps. You might want to try another supplier.
This sounds very similar in nature to what I am dealing with.

Do you remember where you purchased the pump from?

Thanks!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I was having a hard time with mine in my 69 el Camino then I thought about how many times I actually use it, I removed everything and put a flat plate over the wiper motor. It looks so much better without all those hoses and the goofy pump...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 2:20 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Check to make sure you dont have a hole in the line from the tank to the pump. you will suck air out of the tiniest of holes before pulling water up to the pump. i fought with mine for about 3 minutes before i just went to the parts store and bought a universal pump, drilled a hole in the tank and put the feed in it, and just did away with the pump on the wiper motor. Ran the wire for the old pump down to the new one, and the pump actually sits inside the fender, out of view if its kind of an originality thing for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I was having a hard time with mine in my 69 el Camino then I thought about how many times I actually use it, I removed everything and put a flat plate over the wiper motor. It looks so much better without all those hoses and the goofy pump...
I rarely use mine either, but for whatever reason the guy that used to do my PA inspections, really started going by the letter of the book. He actually wouldnt pass my Monte because of non functioning squirters, left turn signal DASH indicator, and high beam indicator. Previously he had told me i would need to get the turn signal cam fixed on my 95 Impala SS, since it wouldnt cancel in one direction. I no longer go to him. The new guy passed my Camaro with no squirters, and, i mean, there is no bottle, hoses, or anything left of it on the car. I'm cool with always making sure the car is safe, but, c'mon, indicator lights?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 2:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I don't think they're allowed to fail you for a non operational "convenience" option,only non-op safety items are reasons for failures .One thing NJ did right is they dropped the inspection procedures for 1995 and below cars.I think they decided there isn't enough of them on the road to worry about them.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 7:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marco

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
Check to make sure you dont have a hole in the line from the tank to the pump. you will suck air out of the tiniest of holes before pulling water up to the pump. i fought with mine for about 3 minutes before i just went to the parts store and bought a universal pump, drilled a hole in the tank and put the feed in it, and just did away with the pump on the wiper motor. Ran the wire for the old pump down to the new one, and the pump actually sits inside the fender, out of view if its kind of an originality thing for you.
I will definitely double check for a hole in the line. All I did was blow down the hole to see if there was a clog.

I tried a universal pump at first, because I felt from the start that it wasn't worth paying $70 for that garbage.

The switch on my Buick is different from what I have seen on the Chevelles. My switch has a push button then a rocker switch, where from videos I have seen Chevelles just have a rocker switch where one side washes the other side operates the wipers.

That push button acts kind of strange, it is more like a on/off kind of thing. Where I press the button then the pump goes at it for a second or two and try to spray fluid. I'm actually trying to sign up to a Buick forum as well to get a more detailed understanding if that is the way the button is supposed to work or if there is something wrong.

So when I press the button to activate the universal pump it will only turn for less than a second, where the mechanical crap seems to run longer.

Does anyone know if these bumps have a reverse polarity issue, like if you put the plug in upside down?

Other wise I will trouble shoot these issues. If nothing comes of it I will assume the pump is defective.

Thanks again guys, all feedback is welcome!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mromaus View Post
This sounds very similar in nature to what I am dealing with.

Do you remember where you purchased the pump from?

Thanks!
The first two defective pumps were from Ground Up. I alerted them to this fact to hopefully prevent others from experiencing the same issue. The third pump, which worked perfectly, was from YearOne.

1969 Chevelle, badged SS396, Hugger Orange, 350, 700R4, 10 bolt, column shift with bench seat
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 8:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post

I rarely use mine either, but for whatever reason the guy that used to do my PA inspections, really started going by the letter of the book. He actually wouldnt pass my Monte because of non functioning squirters, left turn signal DASH indicator, and high beam indicator. Previously he had told me i would need to get the turn signal cam fixed on my 95 Impala SS, since it wouldnt cancel in one direction. I no longer go to him. The new guy passed my Camaro with no squirters, and, i mean, there is no bottle, hoses, or anything left of it on the car. I'm cool with always making sure the car is safe, but, c'mon, indicator lights?
Dan, you should consider getting Antique plates. There the best! No inspection, full coverage insurance for a couple hundred bucks, no yearly tags.. I go to a place called AAA to get my titles transformed into antique, they have it done in an hour or so..
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 11:34 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
Dan, you should consider getting Antique plates. There the best! No inspection, full coverage insurance for a couple hundred bucks, no yearly tags.. I go to a place called AAA to get my titles transformed into antique, they have it done in an hour or so..
You are not the first one to tell me to do that. I get that there really arent any "antique tag" police, but i would break every rule set forth in the antique tag definition. I really dont mind having to get my cars inspected. it puts another set of eyes on it for me, and only ever costs me $35. It just irritated me that my last guy just got picky about the dumbest things, that werent really "safety related" like brakes, ball joints, etc. My insurance isnt really anything to get up tight about either, since im single, insure 3 cars, a golf cart, and 2 quads....you know, you can only drive so many things at once.....
hydro462 likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Your right about the inspection. People with Antique tags forget "they" are responsible for keeping that car in safe running condition.

Sounds like you had Barney Fife inspect your car...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 11:34 AM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:

Antique plates here mean limited use, the vehicle can only be used to and from parades and shows. I for one want to use my car for other things

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 9:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marco

Garage

OK guys,

I looked for holes in the lines to no luck. There is no pressurizing this tank, the lid has a pin hole in it (by design)

I tried to push some water through the lines to get the system started, ran it for a while and it ran like total garbage.

I tried replacing the star with the original pump and that did not work either.

Driving in Georgia I will need to clean my windshield because insects feel that the best way to survive is by hanging out in the middle of busy roads.

I think I want to try and take a shot at replacing it with an electric motor. I tried a cheap universal one and it didn't cut it, any suggestions?

I was also thinking how nice it would be if the feed from the washer tank came out of the bottom of the tank instead of the top. Any suggestions there?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in