68-72 el camino battery relocation - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 8:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

68-72 el camino battery relocation

68-72 el camino battery relocation. Would there be any interest in this if I were to create a photo log? Im doing this relocation as we speak. Making room for a turbo or procharger

Let me know.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 8:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Re: 68-72 el camino battery relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ss454Elco View Post
68-72 el camino battery relocation. Would there be any interest in this if I were to create a photo log? Im doing this relocation as we speak. Making room for a turbo or procharger

Let me know.

What's your plan for placement? Behind passenger rear wheel tub, smuggler's box, other?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 9:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

The best place to balance weight would be the passenger side firewall, passenger side interior behind the seat or passenger side in the smugglers box.. Or just make a box and mount it in the bed on the front passenger side..
Ideally you want to keep all heavy parts between the wheels..

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 1:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

I would document as much as you can to where if another wants to do it some pictures may help. Just put it somewhere to where later the pictures are not blurred out like what some storage sites are doing.

Maybe too, take some voltage measurements at different points before you move the battery and then later.

However you do it make it safe such as protecting the cabling with things such as proper routing and installation as well as properly placed fuses or circuit breakers. If the battery is in an enclosed space have it vented to the exterior of the vehicle.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 2:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown1932 View Post
What's your plan for placement? Behind passenger rear wheel tub, smuggler's box, other?
Bed, directly above the axle and to the passenger side.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 2:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
The best place to balance weight would be the passenger side firewall, passenger side interior behind the seat or passenger side in the smugglers box.. Or just make a box and mount it in the bed on the front passenger side..
Ideally you want to keep all heavy parts between the wheels..
I was going to mount it just aft of the firewall passenger side but decided against it.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 3:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
I would document as much as you can to where if another wants to do it some pictures may help. Just put it somewhere to where later the pictures are not blurred out like what some storage sites are doing.

Maybe too, take some voltage measurements at different points before you move the battery and then later.

However you do it make it safe such as protecting the cabling with things such as proper routing and installation as well as properly placed fuses or circuit breakers. If the battery is in an enclosed space have it vented to the exterior of the vehicle.

Jim
yes sir. This is why it is taking longer.....Im doing it right at least thats what Im trying to convince myself of. LOL

1.) correct sized positive
2.) correct and multiple grounds from body to frame and frame to starter
3.) correct terminations
4.) correct high quality disconnect in the negative side. I'm not racing this so Im only isolating the batt circuit at this point so I can safely work on the car when needed and also as act as a theft deterrent.
5.) correct and safely mounted battery.
6.) protective batt cable sheathing

Im running it through the inner bed wall into the cab, exiting below the rear kick panel, along the floor under the carpet to the front firewall. Then using an MOROSO batt cable insulator pass through the front firewall. Then along the inner frame rail to the starter lug. Ill be using heat protective covering since the headers are right there.

Next step is an aeromotive OEM style tank kit with a 400 LPH pump and Ill be using 1/2 in teflon fuel line run in factory location using the 3/8 factory fuel line as the return.

After that comes FI. Either eddy proflow 4 or fitech, maybe sniper but not sure as Im researching what kit works best for 800-900 forced induction HP at the crank which is my goal.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 8:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ss454Elco View Post
yes sir. This is why it is taking longer.....Im doing it right at least thats what Im trying to convince myself of. LOL

1.) correct sized positive
2.) correct and multiple grounds from body to frame and frame to starter
3.) correct terminations
4.) correct high quality disconnect in the negative side. I'm not racing this so Im only isolating the batt circuit at this point so I can safely work on the car when needed and also as act as a theft deterrent.
5.) correct and safely mounted battery.
6.) protective batt cable sheathing

Im running it through the inner bed wall into the cab, exiting below the rear kick panel, along the floor under the carpet to the front firewall. Then using an MOROSO batt cable insulator pass through the front firewall. Then along the inner frame rail to the starter lug. Ill be using heat protective covering since the headers are right there.

Next step is an aeromotive OEM style tank kit with a 400 LPH pump and Ill be using 1/2 in teflon fuel line run in factory location using the 3/8 factory fuel line as the return.

After that comes FI. Either eddy proflow 4 or fitech, maybe sniper but not sure as Im researching what kit works best for 800-900 forced induction HP at the crank which is my goal.
I should say the GOAL after many more mods is 800-900 at the crank.

Right now the motor is about 450 HP and 500+ TQ. I figure about a 40-45% increase on about 5-7lbs boost so that puts me at 650 HP and hopefully the same on TQ with no changes to the "290" heads and using OEM valve train. Bottom end is GM forged with ARP rod bolts. Clutch is rated to 800HP but the trans is a TKO600. I had some mods done to the trans but I doubt it will survive a 1000HP. Im still learning so I may be way out of line on my projected increase expectations for boost.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 1:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batt relocate1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	608664   Click image for larger version

Name:	batt relocate2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	608666  

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 2:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Have you ever seen how much room is actually IN the smugglers hatch ? the SH area would swallow that battery up and ask for 10 more just like it

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 2:18 PM
Tech Team
Bob

Garage

I notice the UMI brace between the rear coil towers. On the UMI website they say that brace will not work for El Caminos. did you have to modify it any to get it to fit. I have been eyeing that brace up for some time.

55 Chevy Resto Mod - Sold
99 Corvette - Sold
68 El Camino - L79 Tribute
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 9:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinPA View Post
I notice the UMI brace between the rear coil towers. On the UMI website they say that brace will not work for El Caminos. did you have to modify it any to get it to fit. I have been eyeing that brace up for some time.
Also interested....
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 2:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Yes they told me the same thing but couldn't tell me why it wouldn't fit. So I took a chance and googled that UMI part number on Amazon and found a black one for 20.00 cheaper shipped to my door than i could get one shipped to my door from UMI them selves so I bought it, painted it red and added that decal.

That said,

It would not fit out of the box because of the bed "pinch" support(thats not what it is but thats what I call it) that runs from front to back near each side of the shock/coil spring support. I had to cut it back and remove just enough for the UMI bar to clear. Then because its so tight up there already with the OEM bolts I had to drill holes and fit with snap in plugs.(note photo with battery) because the bolts are even longer and there is no way to get them started from the top. This way I could feed the new longer bolts from the bed side sandwiching the UMI bar. Some will not want to drill the bed and I get that. For me Im building this car to autcross/drift and going to be installing Viking coil overs anyway and would have had to drill those holes anyway. People say it gives the car a sense of "track ready" when they see the battery, cut off switch and those plugs.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 6:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

another view of UMI bar and another for good measure. That fugly fuel filter deal is gone. Im converting to edelbrock PF4 in another thread and Im in the process of complete replacement of the fuel delivery and fuel return system using a tanks inc OEM looking tank and 400lph pump. Goal is 1000 HP with forced induction(turbo or vortech or procharger) at the flywheel which will be fun drifting this bad boy at good guys events.

Yes I know its not a 12bolt. You can thank 660lb ft, grippy clutch and 6500 rpm launches. Im building a Dana 60, faceplated the TKO and ordering a QA1 drive shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batt relocate4.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	608944   Click image for larger version

Name:	batt relocate3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	608946  

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10

Last edited by 1971ss454Elco; Nov 22nd, 19 at 7:14 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 8:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

How long has that been out? Looks nice!

Many yrs ago when the body was off welded (ugly flux welds)some square tubing tying the rear of the pockets and frame together took 100% of the twist out of the frame.

Hope they never break....hung 2 4x4 plates in case an elec pump and filter get hung there one day.

Yours looks so much better.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in