67 Chevelle Step by Step Alternator upgrade - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bert

67 Chevelle Step by Step Alternator upgrade

Is there a post for a 67 Chevelle up grading , from stock to high amp output regulator? don't need to know how it works, Just what someone that did and it works great! I've heard you could remove existing regulator near radiator and some wires? I added Fitech FI, electric fuel pump, AirRide air compressor, Stereo and amps, HID head lights, dual electric fans, trans electric fan. what's the best one wire regulator and what's the highest amperage should I shoot for? thanks for reading and any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 1:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 67 Chevelle Step by Step Alternator upgrade

I would do a google search for what they call the "Big Three Upgrade" and it shows upgrading the connections between a new higher output alternator, the battery, and then the grounds.

For example:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...39.vUBxsewJKgw

Your wiring sizing will depend on the amount of amperage that needs to pass. If for example you have a 100A alternator, the wire size needs to be so large. Bump up the alternator to something like a 200A, then the wire gauge needs to be increased. Put in some something even larger and then the wire gauge needs to go up again in gauge.

Keep in mind too on an upgrade with you adding things such as the fuel injection, electric fuel pumps, air ride compressors, stereo amplifiers, and such is normally these get grounded to the body of the car so it is important to upgrade the ground side of things.

As far as what is the highest amperage you should shoot for is an unknown. Different electric fuel pumps draw different amounts of power, dual electrics fans, the same as these can vary from brand to brand, so you need to gather the amperage demands of what you are running and then size the alternator. Also keep in mind that the air compressor might not always be on when the fans are and then current demands are lower but when both are on, the demands are higher.

Depending on ones needs, multiple alternators can also be run. Some of the car audio people are running crazy numbers of alternators and batteries to keep up with their demands.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 9:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bert

Thanks Jim, helpful info on what to think about. will add up amp draw and add a little for the alternator I choose. what about by passing the original Relay ? any concerns with all those wires going in and out of it? thanks again !

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Keep in mind that if a device has a 30A fuse does not mean it will be pulling that power when it is operating. The device may have a 30A fuse on it's power wire and when started it may pull let's say 30A for a short time but then settle down to a continuous 20A draw or possibly 15A.

As far as bypassing the original relay, this relay serves two functions in that one the relay is for the horn circuit and without it the horn would not work unless a horn relay was added elsewhere. The second function of the horn relay is it acts as a buss or connection point in that there are two terminals on the bottom and on most cars have two wires going to this bar. One could have a wire under each screw or both wires under one screw with nothing under the other screw. Some cars will have additional wires on this buss and are for options like AC, underhood light, ammeter leg, and such.

You might have to refer to a wiring diagram but I believe off of the battery positive post you have a 14 gauge fusible link going to a junction block then off of that a 10 gauge wire that in the loom splits with one leg going to the original alternators output stud, another leg going to the horn relay buss, and the third leg to a small fusible link to one of the 4 connections on the original alternators external voltage regulator. Off of the horn buss is a 16 gauge fusible link connected to a 12 gauge wire that then goes to and through the firewall bulkhead connector. SO, if you do some rewiring and changes, keep in mind how the fusible links are in place and on what gauge wires to protect things.

Jim

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 4:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

There used to be a step by step post on this site to get you where you need to go. Do a search and it should pop up. Used it on mine years ago with no issues. I have electric fans, EFI, Vintage Air, Etc. The only issue was I used a lifetime guarantee alternator from AutoZone and have had to replace it 3 times due to failure. The current one has been good for the past 4 years.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 9:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bert

Thanks Bros, I went with the Powermaster 57297-104, 150 amp, tear drop, black with serpentine 6 groove pulley. Talked to John at Powermaster, was real knowledgeable and experienced on what I needed to know. Told to run from alternator straight to starter +, or Battery, and eliminate old regulator. Upgrading all wire size to 4 ga. The only thing I'm not sure of is the power to the horn relay. Will it still have power to it? will keep you updated on install thank you for all your input and support.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 5:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

While I do not have a 67 Chevelle wiring diagram, below is how I would modify a 67 Nova setup.

First, this is how things were from the factory with just the main feed from the battery going through fusible links and then to things like the factory alternator, external voltage regulator, horn relay buss, more fusible links, and then the feed to and through the firewall bulkhead connector and then the feeds to the fuse block, headlights, and ignition switch:

Same as above but just condensed some so one can see things better:

Now the original feed wire from the junction block by the battery going to the alternator output post, the original external voltage regulator, and the horn relay buss is removed:

Now a new 10 gauge wire needs to be run from the junction block by the battery to the horn relay buss. Notice too that I have kept in place the fusible link between the junction block by the battery and the one end of the new 10 gauge wire for protection as well as leaving the next fusible link off of the horn relay buss going to a smaller gauge wire that then goes to and through the bulkhead connector:

NOW, I then remove the original ground cable and wire from the battery negative post to the engine block and the back of the radiator support:

Next, one would put in new 4 gauge wire from the output post of the new alternator as well as adding a new 4 gauge from the alternator case and then these two cables would go to the respective battery posts. Also from the negative battery post a new 4 gauge wire would be run to the body of the car:

Now to add your added accessories such as an electric fuel, electric cooling fans, air ride compressors, audio amplifiers,and such these would then get main power from the battery and going through the proper wire protection device:

Hope this helps.

Jim

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 3:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bert

Jim! You da Man! this stuff is so good, it makes me say Bad words! This put my mind at ease and leaves no doubt in my mind. straight forward and to the point. with "must-do" upgrades. Thank you. and your Forum and Team. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in