1964 Chevelle Wiring issue - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 9:17 AM Thread Starter
Ron

1964 Chevelle Wiring issue

I have a 64 Chevelle that I have restored. I replaced every wiring harness in the car with the exception of the copper flat ribbon cable that connects the rear to the fuse box. I also replaced the turn signal switch. When I completed the job a couple of years back all was well with all lights and blinkers. The car sat in my garage for a couple of years and now I have some strange stuff happening. They are as follows;

1. With the lights off, when I depress the brake pedal not only do the brake lights come on but so does the dash lights as well as the tag lights.
2. With the lights on when I turn on the left blinker the right blinker as well as the tag lights flash.
3. As a side note I lost the function of my horn.

I was thinking the turn signal switch. I have read about grounding problems but not sure where to start. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 9:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Re: 1964 Chevelle Wiring issue

After doing a complete harness in my 64 (original wiring was so hacked up I gave up on patching it) I still had some weird lighting issues, not exactly what you are describing but close. After spending a few hours verifying that I hadn't messed up any of the wiring I tried a new headlight switch and presto, no more issues.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Ron

The head light switch had crossed my mind. I think I have an extra one.

Thanks,

Ron

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 9:43 AM Thread Starter
Ron

Headlight switch did not fix the problem.I did have a extra brand new switch. Any other help would be appreciated. Can anyone explain how the wiring is grounded. The first symptom is when I depress the brake the instrument panel light as well as some aftermarket gauges light up without the light switch being on.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

The headlight switch has nothing to do with your issue. You have a grounding problem with one of your left side lights. Its back feeding and picking up a ground though the lamps in your regular lighting circuit. The horn is a separate issue between the horn contact in the column and the horn relay or the horn relay to the horns themselves. The horn relay is powered all the time through the stud/s at the bottom looking for a ground from the horn contact. Once engaged it supplies 12v to the horns which are grounded through the chassis.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Ron

The horn is working. How do you suggest I start to find the problem? Thanks for any help.

Thanks,

Ron
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 10:46 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Ron, check the ground on your lights, as Eric said. You should find one "open" and not grounding. Dont even need a multitester , a circuit checker is all.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Ron

Check it from the bulb housing to the car body?

Ron
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 11:45 AM

Thereís a rubber gasket between the tail light housing and the body. This means the circuit is depending on the mounting screws to complete the circuit. 55-year old mounting screws may not be up for that task. At least try using new mounting screws.

Hereís another suggestion. I just re-wired my entire í65 El Camino with an American Autowire kit. In spite of that, I still drilled a hole in the back of the rear tail light housings for a screw, and ran a wire from that screw to a frame mounted ground bar. Okay, so maybe thatís a bit of overkill. But Iím not worried about grounds at the rear of a 54-year old Elco. I also used the ground bar for the gas gauge circuit and the gas tank.

Hope this helps. Below is what I found behind the driver's side tail light. You might consider checking there too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Harness 3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	603000  
wihaltom likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 1:36 PM Thread Starter
Ron

I will give it a try! So you think its definitely in the trunk area where the problem exists? It all started with the left rear blinker not working and has progressed to this. Keep in mind I replaced all wiring harness with the exception of the flat black cable that you show in the picture. Ill keep you posted and thanks.

Ron
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 4:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison1212 View Post
I will give it a try! So you think its definitely in the trunk area where the problem exists? It all started with the left rear blinker not working and has progressed to this. Keep in mind I replaced all wiring harness with the exception of the flat black cable that you show in the picture. Ill keep you posted and thanks.

Ron
You have to start the process looking some where...

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 7:32 AM Thread Starter
Ron

That is where I have focused, but still no resolution.

Thanks
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 7:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Could be possible you have a filament jumping the brake/turn circuit to the parking light circuit.

You said the left blinker is causing problems. Pull the front left blinker bulb, test. Pull the left rear blinker bulb, test. I'm hoping it's one of those bulbs.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 3:16 PM Thread Starter
Ron

What is the best method to check the ground? I have a meter and a circuit tester light. I'm more interested in what points I should use to check it? How would you go about adding a ground?

Thanks,

Ron
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 3:37 PM

"Hotwire" makes an interesting point. Remove the bulbs from the parking light and tail light housings. Use your test meter to check for continuity between the barrel of the light bulbs and each of the two contacts on the bottom of the bulb. These should individually show continuity. Next, check for continuity between the two contacts on the bottom of each bulb. In this case, continuity is a bad thing and means the filaments are shorted. Look at the filaments to see. Either way, I'd replace the bulbs. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 - Parking Light Bulb.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	603348  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in