Team Chevelle banner

Electricity

4K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  mymalibubu72 
#1 ·
I've been in a few arguments about electricity here. I find that people have misconceptions, or baseless theories they present as fact, that they refuse to let go of, and refuse to fact check. I'm trying to present evidence based facts (or theories, since that's what they are).

If you're unwilling to fact check yourself, why bother even reading. You've defined yourself as ignorant and unwilling to learn.
In general, I suggest a search of Ohm's Law, the guiding principal of all things electrical. I'll treat it as fact since, well, we have lights in the house.
When we get to home A/C same story as above.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...BhoTkAhUSSK0KHentAOoQBQguKAA&biw=1006&bih=658

OH states that we have 3 bits to think about; E, I, and R, which are electromotive force, measured in Volts (think pressure), intensity, measured in Amperes (think flow), and resistance measured in Ohms (duh). This is math. It still applies across all electrical thought.

The equation is E=IR, or V=AR if you want to think in units. This is often presented as the (and I may not present it well) EIR triangle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=eir+triangle&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-e
Think of it like this is money, less money, less spending. Money is voltage, spending is current. More voltage, more current.

Or, resistance, you're voltage (pressure), the wife/GF says no way (resistance). Less resistance, more spending. Yay.

To start, electricity in the world is alternating current, and a guy named Tesla brought it to us.

Then we have the single phase vs. 2-phase argument. This is a household not commercial issue. The fact is 240 is single phase and 120 is split phase grounded at the center tap at the transformer at the pole. the difference is the confusion the split and 2 are the same and the electrical reference point. to be true you have to move the reference. 240 has only a safe/short ground. it isn't current carrying, thus not part of the conversarion.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...hUKEwjC1p_EhoTkAhUD-6wKHZFmA98Q4dUDCAo&uact=5
A little sine wave BS is needed for this. A link to how stuff works.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...hUKEwj04Z3QjITkAhVCJKwKHZd-Ap4Q4dUDCAo&uact=5

The 2-phase argument says two voltages of 120V (or whatever) 180 degrees (360 total) out of phase add to make 240V, which is easily proven untrue. The premise is

Subtract 1-1=2 and you find the fallacy.
Clap your hands and you prove the 180 degree theory is a fallacy.
Think of wave theory. Does a wave trough meet a wave peak and make a double, wait peak or trough, who wins? The suggestion proves itself to be nonsense.

I'll be entertained by BS posted by folks who believe, but can't prove, and so believe that they can't fact check. Seriously, fact checking ourselves is easy, do we believe ourselves so correct that another opinion won't be thought to be a possiblity? The death of thoght, compromise, yada, yada, yada.

See less See more
#3 ·
Shocking.:nerd:

Reactions: David Bates
#9 ·
P=IE. Pie. Watts=amps X volts Helpful for determining generator sizing. Just thought i would put this here. this is going to turn out to be a weird thread.

This will be the only thing i bring to this thread, which, like others, i dont understand where this is coming from, or going.

#11 ·
Pie? I like pumpkin best.

"Electricity is alternating current." Does that mean that direct current is not electricity?

What a weird post.

#13 ·
Is it true that Alphl betta panastan ranapana tin can sam is equal to the thoughts of a commercial fisherman. Yes, I need a correct answer.
Bob

#14 ·
To the OP-

Who hurt you? Can you show us on the doll where the bad man touched you? Who are the ignorant people you've been fighting with? We just want to help, you're amongst friends here.

#22 ·
That's some excellent dad humor coming from a lady. My 13 year old daughter would have been mortified had I said that in her presence. I like your style.

#21 ·
Didn't work out well for this guy.

Don't forget to wet the sponge.

#24 ·
Agreed, but we're throwing fisticuffs over pie, not beer. I wouldn't fight over beer.

Actually, I wouldn't fight over pie either. This is like a cow's opinion- it's just "moo".

#28 · (Edited)
Fact one, old cars do not use A/C for power outside of the alternator.
Fact two, knowing a bunch of electronic theory is hardly required either.
Fact three, a meter and a test light is generally all that's needed.
Fact four, blueberry pie is the best...
Fact five, all electrical/electronic parts are manufactured with different quanities of smoke, when the smoke is let out, it won't work anymore.

Reactions: wihaltom
#29 ·
Fact one, old cars do not use A/C for power outside of the alternator.
Fact two, knowing a bunch of electronic theory is hardly required either.
Fact three, a meter and a test light is generally all that's needed.
Fact four, blueberry pie is the best...
Fact four=wrong, French Silk is the best pie. :yes:

#35 ·

#36 ·
The OP put a lot of thought and effort into a well written and poignant post about electrical theory to help broaden all of our understanding and you jackwagons hijack the post and turn it into a debate about pie and innuendo?

Shame on you all!

#37 ·
Yeah, and as a result of his tutelage I was able to build the entire electrical system from scratch for my 58 Impala and saved a few hundred bucks.

#38 ·
There's no malicious intent worthy of shame IMO. The OP posted some random info in the electrical section of a Chevelle board that seemed like it was somewhat disjointed from some mysterious topic of discussion that gave the sense everyone must have missed. Partly, because it was unrelated to the subject matter of this particular forum beyond Ohm's law. It is good info, no doubt, and folks can learn from it, but it would have probably garnered more topic specific conversation in bench racing as an off topic subject. His points are valid and correct, and no one is trying to piss in his corn flakes. I appreciated it. Things just kinda flow from one out of place to another, just like any conversation.

#39 ·
Sorry, I should've made clear in my post that I was being ironic. I was the one that initially brought pie into the conversation and absolutely contributed to the derailment. So I could probably be considered the lead jackwagon.

He never came back to explain himself or have real, relevant dialogue so in my opinion the hijack is completely appropriate.

Carry on with the jackwagonry!

#41 ·
I'll just say that after almost forty years of working on everything from 6 volt DC on old Ford Tractors to 480 volt three phase in commercial buildings, and regardless of the system, my experience is that people over complicate things and assume too many things. Common sense and a four dollar Harbor Freight multimeter will find 95% of all electrical issues, regardless of the voltage.

Reactions: ZZ69chevelle
#42 ·
You're absolutely correct and I agree fully but do you have anything relevant to say about tasty treats? This is a thread about dessert. Let's try to stay on topic here.

Reactions: 70montee
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.