Electricity - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 1:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Kev

Electricity

I've been in a few arguments about electricity here. I find that people have misconceptions, or baseless theories they present as fact, that they refuse to let go of, and refuse to fact check. I'm trying to present evidence based facts (or theories, since that's what they are).

If you're unwilling to fact check yourself, why bother even reading. You've defined yourself as ignorant and unwilling to learn.
In general, I suggest a search of Ohm's Law, the guiding principal of all things electrical. I'll treat it as fact since, well, we have lights in the house.
When we get to home A/C same story as above.

https://www.google.com/search?client...w=1006&bih=658

OH states that we have 3 bits to think about; E, I, and R, which are electromotive force, measured in Volts (think pressure), intensity, measured in Amperes (think flow), and resistance measured in Ohms (duh). This is math. It still applies across all electrical thought.

The equation is E=IR, or V=AR if you want to think in units. This is often presented as the (and I may not present it well) EIR triangle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=eir+...=firefox-b-1-e
Think of it like this is money, less money, less spending. Money is voltage, spending is current. More voltage, more current.

Or, resistance, you're voltage (pressure), the wife/GF says no way (resistance). Less resistance, more spending. Yay.

To start, electricity in the world is alternating current, and a guy named Tesla brought it to us.

Then we have the single phase vs. 2-phase argument. This is a household not commercial issue. The fact is 240 is single phase and 120 is split phase grounded at the center tap at the transformer at the pole. the difference is the confusion the split and 2 are the same and the electrical reference point. to be true you have to move the reference. 240 has only a safe/short ground. it isn't current carrying, thus not part of the conversarion.

https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAo&uact=5
A little sine wave BS is needed for this. A link to how stuff works.

https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAo&uact=5

The 2-phase argument says two voltages of 120V (or whatever) 180 degrees (360 total) out of phase add to make 240V, which is easily proven untrue. The premise is

Subtract 1-1=2 and you find the fallacy.
Clap your hands and you prove the 180 degree theory is a fallacy.
Think of wave theory. Does a wave trough meet a wave peak and make a double, wait peak or trough, who wins? The suggestion proves itself to be nonsense.

I'll be entertained by BS posted by folks who believe, but can't prove, and so believe that they can't fact check. Seriously, fact checking ourselves is easy, do we believe ourselves so correct that another opinion won't be thought to be a possiblity? The death of thoght, compromise, yada, yada, yada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 7:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: Electricity

Huh? Sorry, what was the point, or the question?
Tophog and B52bombardier1 like this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 8:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Shocking.
David Bates likes this.

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 9:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I read this post this morning, looked at the time it was posted, read it again, and said to myself "don't post on chevelles.com (or any website) when intoxicated."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Huh? Sorry, what was the point, or the question?
JWagner, davewho1 and wihaltom like this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 10:15 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Tell us one more time that there is no such thing as a voltage drop Ken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Shocking.
davewho1 likes this.

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 10:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Tell us one more time that there is no such thing as a voltage drop Ken.

I've seen:

dew drops

lemon drops
rain drops
milk drops

Never seen a voltage drop
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 10:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

What?? Who is he arguing with??

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide

Team Chevelle #5157
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I ass-u-me that he is also on some electrician forum and posted to the wrong one?

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 11:04 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

P=IE. Pie. Watts=amps X volts Helpful for determining generator sizing. Just thought i would put this here. this is going to turn out to be a weird thread.

This will be the only thing i bring to this thread, which, like others, i dont understand where this is coming from, or going.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 11:12 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
I ass-u-me that he is also on some electrician forum and posted to the wrong one?
No, he was trolling in another thread and just wanted to start an argument, forgetting
[ P = V x I ] P (watts) = V (volts) x I (amps) and getting the thread "off topic"

Give Ken credit though, he does know basic electrical theory.
davewho1 likes this.

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 12:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Pie? I like pumpkin best.

"Electricity is alternating current." Does that mean that direct current is not electricity?

What a weird post.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
Pie? I like pumpkin best.

Them's fightin words!!

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 12:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Is it true that Alphl betta panastan ranapana tin can sam is equal to the thoughts of a commercial fisherman. Yes, I need a correct answer.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 12:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

To the OP-

Who hurt you? Can you show us on the doll where the bad man touched you? Who are the ignorant people you've been fighting with? We just want to help, you're amongst friends here.
wihaltom, Tophog, Hotwire and 1 others like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 12:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

WATTS up with Kev ?

He sure seems charged up about something !
Philip and davewho1 like this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in