70 Turn signal blues - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 2 Post By LevonH
  • 2 Post By Prong

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 6:40 AM Thread Starter

70 Turn signal blues

I recently acquired a 70 and am fixing the little nits on it. Neither right signal works,the right brake light doesn't either (that I could tell) but the park and tail light do. Nor does the right side works on the 4 ways. Everything on the left side is working fine. I've replaced the bulbs, and put in a new turn signal switch. I get the solid green indicator on the dash--no flashing. I did notice the rear bulb socket contacts are a little loosey goosey and that will be replaced later today. Could that be the cause? Or is there something else at work here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 7:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: 70 Turn signal blues

Open circuit on the right rear turn/stop. It could be the rear socket contacts to bulb or ground to the socket.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Got a new socket--will install later today and report back.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 1:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Clean all the grounds as well.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 7:52 PM Thread Starter

Got the rear socket put in and I gained RH brake lights (Yeahh!!), but still no turn signal. Have correct power to socket, so I moved to the front and discovered there's power in the wire to the front socket terminal, but not at the contact. So, I've decided it's a bad socket. Now, I tried to find just a replacement socket, but no joy. It looks like I have to buy the whole park lamp assembly?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 9:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prong View Post
Got the rear socket put in and I gained RH brake lights (Yeahh!!), but still no turn signal. Have correct power to socket, so I moved to the front and discovered there's power in the wire to the front socket terminal, but not at the contact. So, I've decided it's a bad socket. Now, I tried to find just a replacement socket, but no joy. It looks like I have to buy the whole park lamp assembly?

Go to the auto parts store and see if you can find a pigtail for 1157 bulb. You might have to do some modifying....Sort of like this....just pull the pigtail out and discard the base.

I think doorman sells them in the HELP section.
LeoP likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 1:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I went on my Amazon and the Dorman pigtail popped up in my suggestions.

If I remember right, there is a plug near the light you can disconnect it and pull the light. Pull the wires through a bit and shorten them and resolder the terminals back on. The wire is probably broken inside the insulation. Mine did that on the 70, I was able to use one of these pigtails to get it repaired.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 6:18 PM Thread Starter

Update:
Got the new RH park light unit in. Turn signals are solid on RH side--no blinking. Running lights are fine. Could it be a bad flasher? The LH side works as it should. New turn signal switch as well.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 7:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

There are 2 flasher units in the car. The one on the fuse box is for the 4 way flashers. Do your 4way flashers work?

The flasher for the turn signals is mounted in a bracket just above the steering column. I suspect that one is getting weak. Switch the 2 around and see if you have success. If so replace the one pulled from the bracket.

If it's not blinking check to see if both the right and left lights are working. The flasher needs the resistance of the 2 bulbs to heat the element in the flasher to induce blinking.

Another thing that is possible, sort of a stretch, is the 2 wires of the lamp you just replaced are reversed. The turn signal is hooked to the parking light. This may pull inadequate resistance to cause flashing as the parking element pull less amperage.
71350SS likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 8:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Here's a picture of the flasher for the turn signal flasher on the brace above the steering column. It's held in by a "u" shaped spring clamp and should slide out without removing the screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 turn flasher location..jpg
Views:	3
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	601002  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 9:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

The flasher supplies the same signal to the left as it does the right, its the turnsignal switch that determines where the pulsed signal goes. So if it works fine on the left its good. Also if the park and brake lights work, the grounds are also good.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 10:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
The flasher supplies the same signal to the left as it does the right, its the turnsignal switch that determines where the pulsed signal goes. So if it works fine on the left its good. Also if the park and brake lights work, the grounds are also good.
True, his turn signal switch circuit seems fine. At the switch, the circuit connects to either the right or left branch of the circuit. He said both lights on the right work fine but just won't blink Both brake lights work too. That means he's not pulling enough current through the flasher to heat the bimetal strip to cause it to break contact when hooked to the right side circuit. The only thing I can think of is that the wires are crossed at the new parking light which would cause less current draw. He can probably confirm this by looking at the brightness of the 2 front parking lights. If the right side is considerably brighter, his connections were made in reverse at the right front parking light which he recently replaced.

I'm not 100% sure that his 4 way flasher will work in the turn signal position because they are usually rated for more bulbs which slows the flash cycle. But it's worth a try. First thing he should probably do is turn on the 4 way flashers and check the brightness of all 4 bulbs. One that is dimmer than the rest could suggest a potential issue.
If it does function and the turn signal is dim and the parking light is bright, again it's due to an improper connection at the rt front turn signal.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 10:41 PM
Levon

A mixture of bulbs (1034/1157) or a shorted filament could also cause grief in this problem.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 10:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
A mixture of bulbs (1034/1157) or a shorted filament could also cause grief in this problem.
He should be running 1157 in both locations. For an SS with clear lens he should be running an amber 1157A bulb.

He also replaced the rear sockets, so look at those lights and both brake lights should be equal brightness. They should also be brighter than the taillights. A discrepancy in brightness indicates an improper reversed connection at the socket or improper bulb selection. They should be 1157.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 19, 4:31 AM Thread Starter

Update 3:
I went for the hail mary and put in a new flasher--AND IT WORKS NOW. I thought that since the left side worked, the flasher was OK, but that wasn't the case. Anyway, thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in