reading schematic of fuse panel - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
phil

reading schematic of fuse panel

Hi,

Working on a 66 chevelle convertible...

I've got a dead short that immediately blows the second from the bottom fuse(yellow arrow) in the photo. No taillights, brake lights, instrument cluster/interior lights. The lamps and bat fused(circled in yellow) also have no power with that fuse out.

A photo of the wiring diagram is also attached for the fuse block.
But how do I know which fuse belongs to which color wire on the diagram? There are 6 fuses but that diagram shows 17 squares with circles inside? Please help me understand how the diagram corresponds to the actual fuses.

Lastly, the 3rd photo shows what I think is the cable going to the rear taillights. I disconnect the connector there and still problem exists so I can rule out the wiring back in the trunk, correct?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_220920.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	600310   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_221305.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	600312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_221135.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	600314  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 11:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Re: reading schematic of fuse panel

That fuse protects a hot battery feed to several circuits. Check for shorts in courtesy lamp sockets, cigarette lighter, light switch, dimmer switch, parking lights and headlights. Does the fuse blow with the red wires on the bat fused terminal disconnected?

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
phil

Thanks
cigarette lighter, high beams
and headlights work. Parking lights don't but front turn signals both do.
Disconnected bat fused 2 red wires and still blows fuse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 11:57 PM
Tech Team

Use a meter...they are magical....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 12:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcguru View Post
Thanks
cigarette lighter, high beams
and headlights work. Parking lights don't but front turn signals both do.
Disconnected bat fused 2 red wires and still blows fuse.
Sounds like you have a short in your forward light harness. One common place to get a short is at the back of the light housing where the wires connect. If not there follow your wire harness up to the back of the fuse box.
pnugene likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 1:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

There is a wire that runs from the fuse box taillights fuse up to the headlight switch. I think it is orange on a 66. This provides fused power to the taillights and parking lights. The parking lights and tail lights should come on when you pull the headlight switch out 1 position. When you pull to the second position, the headlights come on, but the parking lights turn off. This parking light scheme is for pre 68 only. The wire from the headlight switch to the parking lights is purple. It gets power from the orange wire from the fuse box. The taillights are fed from the same orange wire, but through the switch, they connect to the taillights via a separate brown wire. After the switch the parking lights and tailights are split into separate circuits fed from the same orange wire.

The power for the headlights comes from a red wire running from the 4 way connector or horn relay buss bar (depending on year). There is no fuse in that line and no fuse in the fusebox for headlights. The headlight switch actually has a circuit breaker in the switch to protect the headlight circuit.

Earlier I spoke too soon by saying your issue is in the forward light harness, it may also be located in the tail light harness or at the taillights themselves. I'm not sure that unplugging that connector will disconnect the tailights from the switch, so you can make that determination.

I blew this out quick from memory, hope it's 100% correct. Follow your wiring diagram and you should be able to make heads or tails from my post.

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Aug 12th, 19 at 1:57 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 2:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Almost forgot. That orange wire that feeds the headlight switch for the taillights and parking lights also feeds the rheostat power which feeds the green wire from the headlight switch to the fuse box fuse marked instr lts. From there it goes to a gray wire that feeds the dash/gauge lights. So a short in the green wire will also take out the taillights fuse.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 1:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Phil,

From what I have seen in your first post with the picture of the front of your fuse block and then the colored diagram picture, things are not matching up. I have a feeling the color diagram you have is incorrect and incomplete in the area of the accessory circuits.

On the top fuse in the picture of the actual fuse block, this is for the radio but on the color diagram is shows no connection. The second fuse down from the top is for the wipers and on the color diagram, here it shows a connection.

Another issue I see is on the battery circuit labeled "C" and "D" in my below picture is your fuse block shows three "D" terminals but the color diagram shows only 2 ?.

Anyway, below is how I think things are related between the fuse block and the color diagram:

Also on your fuse block, on the face on the right upper area there is a stenciled on white number. Could you take a clear picture of that and post it ?. I'm just wondering what you have is what I have on a donor harness. In my above picture the lettering is: CHEV.4282-J and this is what I'm wondering might be on yours.

Jim
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Always working on something:

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 9:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
phil

Thanks guys!
If there's no rain tomorrow I'll dig in deeper then...
Seems I should focus on the orange and green wires.

Jim, looks like you're right about the fuse box... mine has 4282 in the upper right corner as well so I guess not the same exactly as the diagram I posted. I guess that also explains why I couldn't understand it.
For reference, I'm using a wiring diagram I purchased from here:
https://www.classiccarwiring.com/196...iring-diagram/

Anyway, I'll dig deeper looking for a short but please let me know if any advice on how to best quickly(or even slowly) find it as I'm a noob to short finding.

Thanks again,
Phil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190812_210225.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	600410  

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 9:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
That fuse protects a hot battery feed to several circuits. Check for shorts in courtesy lamp sockets, cigarette lighter, light switch, dimmer switch, parking lights and headlights. Does the fuse blow with the red wires on the bat fused terminal disconnected?
Yes, if red wires on bat fused terminal are disconnected I have the same issue.
Thanks,
Phil

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 9:48 PM
Tech Team

Have you looked at the back side?

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 9:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewee0413 View Post
Have you looked at the back side?

No, I have not but seems like I should. Thanks

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 10:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Here are the factory manual schematics and the colorized one.

Thanks, photosuckit. They couldn't put their damn logo at the top or bottom of the page, they have to put it SMACK in the middle.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...mps-fuses.html
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 10:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
Here are the factory manual schematics and the colorized one.

Thanks, photosuckit. They couldn't put their damn logo at the top or bottom of the page, they have to put it SMACK in the middle.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...mps-fuses.html
The trick there is to click on the picture, it takes you to photo bucket and you down load it. Then you can enlarge it and be a happy camper.

I wish I had a picture of the full page so I didn't have to flip between pages a hundred times to figure out where the wires lead......hint hint.
davewho1 likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
phil

Yep, that's the colorized one I'm using. Here it is as a single page.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190812_064540.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	600418  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in