Reproduction gauge quality - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By RealRed70
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By RealRed70

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 4:29 PM Thread Starter

Reproduction gauge quality

Hi,
I've got a 70 SS 396 with the round dummy light dash en route and one thing I want to do is to convert to gauges. I know I need a new dash and forward light harness and printed circuit along with the gauges. I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-Chevrole...sAAOSwcLxYF3oM

Is there really any difference as to where I buy the gauges from? I would assume there's probably only one or two companies that make these anyway. Also, is the cluster housing the same for gauges and dummy lights?

Thanks,
Duane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 5:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: Reproduction gauge quality

If I was you I would buy a kit like this in the link below. It is from seller from sonnie24 on ebay. This kit gives you the items needed for the conversion. You will not need a new forward lamp or dash harness. This kit gives you the wires to ad to your existing harnesses. The gauge cluster housing pieces are all the same for idiot light dashes and full gauge dashes. They also have kits for tachs with other redlines, such as a 6500 RPM redline tach for a LS6 car. I have bought a number of these kits with great results.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-LS5-CH...AAAOxy9eVRKjzo
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 5:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
If I was you I would buy a kit like this in the link below. It is from seller from sonnie24 on ebay. This kit gives you the items needed for the conversion. You will not need a new forward lamp or dash harness. This kit gives you the wires to ad to your existing harnesses. The gauge cluster housing pieces are all the same for idiot light dashes and full gauge dashes. They also have kits for tachs with other redlines, such as a 6500 RPM redline tach for a LS6 car. I have bought a number of these kits with great results.

Add a reproduction Quartz movement clock and you're good to go.
RealRed70 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 19, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I ordered the gauges and clock from Sonnie. From what I gather, the tach only needs a lead to the coil because the rest of it is powered by the printed circuit, correct? Anything special on the clock wiring?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 19, 10:20 PM
Levon

On a 70 the tach has it's own wire that goes from tach through the firewall to the - side of the coil.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 5:59 PM
Mike

I'm doing the same thing on my SS396. I looked at the gauge kits at Ecklers', NPD, Classic Muscle and decided to go with the ones sold by the Parts Place in Illinois. They claim they supply all the others.....maybe, not sure. I looked at the Dakota gauges but wanted to stick to the original gauges that GM used. I just got the gauges today, waiting on the dash wiring harness. It's not a cheap ordeal with all the stuff you need. I think I may still have to order the sending units for the oil pressure and water temp. Ebay is certainly an option but their tech help is non-existent if you have any issues or questions.

Mike
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 8:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb-Mike View Post
I'm doing the same thing on my SS396. I looked at the gauge kits at Ecklers', NPD, Classic Muscle and decided to go with the ones sold by the Parts Place in Illinois. They claim they supply all the others.....maybe, not sure. I looked at the Dakota gauges but wanted to stick to the original gauges that GM used. I just got the gauges today, waiting on the dash wiring harness. It's not a cheap ordeal with all the stuff you need. I think I may still have to order the sending units for the oil pressure and water temp. Ebay is certainly an option but their tech help is non-existent if you have any issues or questions.

Mike
You can get your tech help right here on Team Chevelle.
70SSTHUMPER likes this.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 8:37 PM
Mike

[QUOTE=RealRed70;11127946]You can get your tech help right here on Team Chevelle.[/QUOT

Yes, I know, and am very grateful for this forum. I've already benefitted from some very good advice, and being a newbie to the Chevelle, can sure use some.

I just received the gauges from UPS this afternoon, and they look very good. I have to wait for the dash harness to install these, and get some help in removing the existing dash assembly.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 10:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

You would not have needed any new harnesses if you would have bought the ebay kit that I recommended. This would have saved you a lot of money. Good luck with the installation. Feel free to ask any questions.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 8:38 PM
Mike

Quote:
You would not have needed any new harnesses if you would have bought the ebay kit that I recommended. This would have saved you a lot of money. Good luck with the installation. Feel free to ask any questions.
Iím not Iím doing the quotes correctly but bear with me. The kit on eBay is for the gauges and circuit board connector, not the dash harness, if I understand the listing correctly. The eBay item is no longer available and the seller is away until later this month so itís hard to be sure. Itís my belief you need the dash harness to have the connections to the gauges if you had just the idiot lights before like mine. Also one needs to run one wire to the distributor for the tach function. However Iím a newbie to Chevelles so I could be completely mistaken on this. I rely on suppliers to provide guidance at times and havenít been told wrong YET.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 8:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

The kit gives you the necessary wires and terminals needed to convert the dash and forward wire harness for gauges. The kit also gives you the correct temp. sending unit needed for a temp gauge. No new harness is needed. I have done quite a few of these conversions using that kit.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 5:01 PM
Mike

Ok, I see they provide the necessary wires to make the old harness work. No clock or speedometer included, or bezel. I prefer all new gauges and a 50 year old harness under the dash doesnít inspire much confidence for me. Wasted money ? Maybe. But when your dash is on fire, the cost of a new harness doesnít seem that much of a luxury. As they say, different strokes for different folks.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 7:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I kept the lights and ran mechanical Auto Meter gauges out of sight.. I changed the temp sensor to 190..
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 19, 10:54 AM

[quote=Melb-Mike;11127964]
Quote:
You can get your tech help right here on Team Chevelle.[/QUOT

Yes, I know, and am very grateful for this forum. I've already benefitted from some very good advice, and being a newbie to the Chevelle, can sure use some.

I just received the gauges from UPS this afternoon, and they look very good. I have to wait for the dash harness to install these, and get some help in removing the existing dash assembly.
how did the gauges you bought work out for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in