Stereo recommendations - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 5:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Stereo recommendations

1967 chevelle

what is everybody using for stereo systems, that still fit in factory dash, but is a modern system. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 6:37 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Stereo recommendations

I've got a Retrosound that mimics the stock look, but with modern features. It was a bit under powered, but after adding an amp, it's decent (not great).

jim
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 9:56 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Before you buy, ask detailed questions with the vendor about the radio's control shaft width. My SS dash needs 6.25 inch shaft spacing but an original AM-FM radio with this spacing is apparently quite rare. I have an AM-only radio with this spacing and I'd like an original AM-FM but they only show up in that era at a 5.75 inch shaft spacing.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Home page MikeHaganAntiqueAutoRadio.com I think!
Saltherring likes this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 10:38 PM
Tech Team
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's69Ragtop View Post
I've got a Retrosound that mimics the stock look, but with modern features. It was a bit under powered, but after adding an amp, it's decent (not great).

jim
I have retro sound Long Beach in may 66 c10 truck and at first not to happy with sound, but added the subwoofer and love it now.

Allan
66 SS396 325 HP M20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 7:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Here is the RetroSound in my 1967

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 11:18 AM

Garage

yep, i have loved the retrosounds i have had in past cars. I always used one with 4 channel preamp outs and used a separate amplifier.
I haven't installed the one that is sitting in my garage in my 67 yet..

'67 El Camino
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 10:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

I have a Retro Sound "Model 1" and I hate it. I find it not "user friendly" enough and the menu is too complicated to access while driving. Maybe it's me who doesn't understand how it works, I dunno, but I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of it and get something else.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 1:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

The 66 has a retrosound and call me spoiled, but it sounds like crap. No worries though. The engine is music itself, so no stereo needed. The 67 has a factory delete plate and I'm gonna leave it that way.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 7:49 AM
Tech Team

So is Custom Auto Sounds any better than the Retro Sounds? I've seen their ads on My Classic Car tv show.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 11:57 AM
Team Member
Bill

I bought the Retro Sound Hermosa with bluetooth and mic for phone usage. The knobs are quality heavy steel and look stock. Actually the whole setup looks great IMO. Unless you run separate amps power is limited but you do have the option with 4 outs. Being in a convertible and not willing to cut my new panels sound quality will be an issue. I did install highly sensitive quality dual speaker in the dash but that will not be enough. We will somehow install larger 6x9 /4x10 speakers and possibly use a separate rear amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68 Chevelle mod.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	595610  
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 3:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
I have a Retro Sound "Model 1" and I hate it. I find it not "user friendly" enough and the menu is too complicated to access while driving. Maybe it's me who doesn't understand how it works, I dunno, but I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of it and get something else.

Claude.
I would say this, it probably IS you that doesn't understand it, BUT, it probably isn't ONLY you. They look like an old 2 knob radio, they work like a new 13 button head unit. When I use mine after not touching it in a while I do get confused. It is very unintuitive, but fairly powerful in choices and options. If you want to play random MP3s off a USB, and listen to the radio, it isn't bad. When you want to do something more advanced like iPod playlists, or Bluetooth phone calls, unless you do it every day, you need the book.
If you want to find a specific artist or song on a USB drive, not gonna happen, sequential or random, that's it.
I forget what my actual model is, they changed naming about when I got it. But if it let out the magic blue smoke, and I needed to replace it, I would consider another one, or I would try to modify an old original AM radio instead with new guts, and get one of the expensive modified factory looking radios as my 3rd choice.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 4:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I checked with RetroSound, I have a Model 2 Motor 3. It is no longer made, but it is basically like the Motor 5 that they now have.
https://www.retromanufacturing.com/pages/radio-features
Mine has all the new features, but you can't hook up SiriusXM to it. They added that to the new high feature models.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 5:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

factory am radio in dash. $20 bluetooth Dual reciever in glove box. sonic repeater to operate the remote without opening the glove box. antennae splitter for when I want to hear am radio out of the factory dash speaker. 2 - 6x9 pioneers in back. 2 tweeters mounted next to the vent pulls at kick panels. rockin with a remote for less than $100 trip to wal mart....
427L88 and blue_69_malibu like this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 5:24 PM

I just installed a custom autosound usa-740 in my 69. It has Bluetooth and 300 watts sounds great fits perfect and looks oe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in