Wiring Help - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 1:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Wiring Help

I am close to putting the dash back in but I have 3 questions. I also have pics of these too. '70 SS396 non-AC car.

1. There is a single female plug coming out of a bigger harness (kind of behind the gas gauge). It has two wires. One wire is a brown one and the other one is black with a purple stripe. The brown wire is bigger than the other one. What should this plug into?

2. I have a long 2 wire harness that has a blue and black wire. One end of this harness was cut before I got the car so I have no idea where it originates. The female plug has 3 slots but just two have wires going to them. What is left of the harness is about 44" long. It was attached to the passenger side of the firewall near the heater box. What should this plug into?

3. I think this next piece has something to do with the dash or dash wiring. It is a rubber sleeve that is 17" long and 2 1/4" wide. Any idea what this is?

Thx in advance.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	595336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	595338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	595340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	595342  

Chris

1970 SS396 Chevelle
468 ci, TH 400, 3:73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage
Re: Wiring Help

I don't see anything that matches the schematic for a 70 SS. I do have a sweep gauge parts harness in a box to try to match up. I'll take a shot as to what I think it is.

1. This matches up to a wire in my parts harness. It appears to be part of the ignition switch but the small wire color is wrong. Peel back some of the tape and see if the color changes. I show a large brown wire with a smaller black wire/white tracer. This also corresponds with the sweep dash schematic. Both wires go back to the fuse box but in different locations.

2. Part of the radio harness feeding to the rear ?? Colors are wrong for the heater motor resistor.

3. That appears to be for the bumper jack. It holds the lug wrench to the jack.

Again, these are just a guess on my part.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 10:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

This is for a '72, but it may help. I agree the rubber sleeve looks like the jack/tire iron sleeve.

1972 Chevelle SS Wiring Diagram and Pictures

Team Chevelle Member (20 years and counting...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

#2. This is the plug where a console harness plugs into. It's been repinned. The colors should be gray, orange, white, IIRC. Are you putting in a console? If so, what plugs are in it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 9:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

The car came with a console. That plug has 8 slots with only 7 of them having wires. I see the corresponding plug in the dash harness.

Thx for getting me straight on the rubber sleeve.

I don’t really think the brown/black-pink harness goes to the ignition. It is too short.

Maybe the blue/black harness did go to the rear speakers.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Chris

1970 SS396 Chevelle
468 ci, TH 400, 3:73 posi
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 7:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Old post, but did you ever find out where #1 goes? A guy on fb, had the same plug, his wasn't connected to anything. I thought maybe an upgraded stereo or something with a/c. I have neither.

1970 Chevelle Malibu
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

The connector in picture number 1 is only used on a car that has A/C. If you do not have A/C then it is not used.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 10:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Picture number 2 does look like it wiring for a speaker. Picture number 3 does look like a sleeve for a bumper jack.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 4:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks RealRed!

1970 Chevelle Malibu
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 10:18 AM
Tech Team
David

Garage

The rubber sleeve looks like the piece that is for the wiring going under the carpet and front seat to the rear wiring harness. On my 72 there's a depression in the floor pan that it sits in.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 11:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Garage

photo #3: I second the identification of that rubber sleeve as a wiring protector that goes under the carpet below the driver seat from front to back inside the car. My 1970 has that sleeve, inside are the wires to the rear harness (taillights, rear side markers, fuel gauge).

-Frank
1970 Chevelle Malibu purchased new in 1970
355 SBC, XE262H cam, Performer RPM heads, MSD HEI, TH200-4R trans, 3.55:1 Posi, digital gauges, QA1 coilovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in