1970 Elky-Revisiting A Charging Problem - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 1:37 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Dave

1970 Elky-Revisiting A Charging Problem

When I bought this car, the gen light stayed on dim all the time and went out if you exceeded 2k rpm. I repalced teh alternator for cosmetic reasons in the resto, and the voltage regulator with a Wells VR715, because, well, I always use them. The gen light now glows dim all the time now that the car is back together, regardless of RPM. I checked some voltages today, and here is what I found

At idle in park, 14.1v at battery, horn relay and orange regulator wire, and 13.1 at the Autometer gauge under the dash that is wired to a switched 12v fuse block spade

In gear at idle with lights on, 13.8v at battery, horn relay and orange regulator wire, and 12.5 at the under dash gauge

In gear at idle, with a/c and high blower and lights on, 12.8v at the battery , horn relay and orange regulator wire, and 111.0v at the under dash gauge

Last week, coming home from a cruise was the first time I'd had the ac/ going full blast and the lights on and I noticed the low gauge reading and the instrument lights were dim. If I shut the a/c off, the gauge showed an increased charging level and the dash lights got brighter.

The only thing out of the ordinary that I noticed is that the wiring diagram shows a ground wire attached to the core and terminating at the top regulator mounting bolt, which seems redundant.

Also, I have a pink wire with a black tracer coming out of the harness, attaching to a spade that exits the side of the voltage regulator, this is nowhere to be seen on the schematic. This spade is joined to the brown wire spade on the regulator by the same bar.

Any ideas? The differences in the schematics has me confused. BTW, these are in my assy manual.

Thanks!

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 4:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: 1970 Elky-Revisiting A Charging Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSuper Dave View Post
... and 111.0v at the under dash gauge...
WOW, that is serious voltage? (Just kidding, I know it is a typo)

I would need more info, but it sounds like your voltage sense for the alternator is reading the battery more than the actual load voltage in the car.
Or the voltage sense is picking up through the dash light.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 9:30 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

Sounds as if you may be dropping voltage at the ignition switch. Check the voltage at the switch B+ terminal and the pink lead at the switch to see if the voltage is within the .5 volt drop limit. If good, check at the fuse box ignition terminal as the wire from the switch could be your culprit. Report back with your findings.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 9:58 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Dave

Thanks. The ignition switch is new, as I went to a tilt column. Doesn't mean its not bad, though. Where is the B+ terminal?

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 11:19 PM
Levon

You need the full 12+ v coming from the ign switch to the regulator. Is this a gauge car? conversion? Or sweep?

The pink/black should be at the horn relay for the ign. buzzer.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Dave

It is a sweep dash car. If the pink/black wire goes to the horn relay, then if I recall, the spade on the regulator that it is currently attached to would have had a radio capacitor on it originally, correct?
I don't see the ignition switch connected to the regulator on any of the schematics.

"SSuper Dave" Palmer
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 11:40 PM
Levon

Dave here is the horn relay pic:

The voltage regulator would have had a cap IF the car had a AM radio. Disconnect the pink/black and see what happens. It is a connection from the ign. switch. I don't have a sweep dash wiring diagram here but I will look for one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hornrelay1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	594836  
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279

1966 427 Corvette SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Dave

Thanks Levon, I'll try this tomorrow.

"SSuper Dave" Palmer
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 11:49 PM
Levon

Cool Re: 1970 Elky-Revisiting A Charging Problem

OK I found 1. You need to make sure that you have the wiring complete from the ign switch to the #4 terminal at the regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alt wiring.gif
Views:	16
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	594838  
LeoP likes this.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279

1966 427 Corvette SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

Last edited by LevonH; May 31st, 19 at 11:57 PM. Reason: corrected number of the terminal
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 2:03 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Dave

Ok, I had some time to work on it today, and here is what I found. The pink wire on the ignition switch has 13.75v at idle, 13.0v with lights on and 11.75v with lights and a/c.
Readins at the fuse block terminal are almost the same, with 13.6v at idle, 13.0v with lights on and 11.7v with lights and a/c. These are pretty much in line with the Autometer under dash volt gauge readings. I'm starting to think I may have a bad regulator. I've never had a Wells VR715 go bad, but anything is possible. Any other ideas?
Thanks.

"SSuper Dave" Palmer
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 4:42 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Dave

Also at the #4 terminal on the regulator, I have 11.1 volts.

"SSuper Dave" Palmer
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 6:33 PM
Levon

If the ignition switch is not adjusted correctly, you will not get the correct voltage to the lamp or the regulator. You may need to adjust it and check for clean connections at the bulkhead connector on the firewall.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279

1966 427 Corvette SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 7:57 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Dave

I have been all thru the shop manual and see no adjustment instructions, only installation and how to reference the rod so that acc and on positions work, which mine all do. I googled it and the only things I could find were Corvette specific for tilt/tele columns.

"SSuper Dave" Palmer
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 8:40 PM
Levon

Dave, after rereading your original post I sense you have too much voltage drop in the wiring. I would pull the bulkhead connector apart and check for corrosion at the connections. Also check the connection at the horn relay and lug near the battery and the wire from the battery to the lug. Any one or all of these could be contributing to a voltage drop into the passenger compartment.
With the car running in park and no loads on, I just had a friend measure his voltages at the regulator. His were Blue wire 3-4 V, white wire 6-7 V (needs to be above 5), orange 14 V, Brown 14 V.

Here is a good read on everything. Joe (Coppertop) was great in helping track down an issue.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...tage-idle.html
Alan F likes this.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279

1966 427 Corvette SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

Last edited by LevonH; Jun 2nd, 19 at 10:04 PM.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Dave

Thanks Levon. I start a new job tomorrow, so I doubt that I'll get anywhere near the car til next Sunday, and will try then.
Can anyone clarify the need or ability for the ignition switch to be adjusted, and how to do it?

"SSuper Dave" Palmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in