Wiring harness direct fit plug and play considering major upgrades in - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 5:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Wiring harness direct fit plug and play considering major upgrades in

My 2 choices are between AAW 510105 and Painless 20130. Iíve heard the AAW is pretty good and mostly a plug and play but only 18 circuits so a bit limiting when it comes to future upgrade potential. On the other side Iíve heard that Painless has a superb kit with 26 circuits and more things than AAW however some have said itís a pain in the rear to install even though itís supposed to be plug and play. Iím looking for a very top quality product that is a plug and play deal that has good potential for adding upgrades down the road. Which one is going to be worth the money is basically the question in terms of ease of install, quality of the harness, best features, best directions for install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tarheel Chevelle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 5:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: Wiring harness direct fit plug and play considering major upgrades

Any feedback ASAP would be great as Iím trying to order it before the end of the week so I can work on it for the 1st 2 weeks of June as my time will be limited after that.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 5:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

AAW seems to be the vendor of choice for these kits. I bought a factory duplicate harness for my 67 from Lectric Liimited, and I'm happy with it.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 5:52 PM
Tech Team
autumngold

M&h is excellent quality also.Customize your harness and fuse block to your request.Updated mini fuses and hei hookup or whatever you need.AAW is top quality too.Both are about the same installation wise.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 8:18 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I used the AAW Classic Update harness in my 70. I can't compare it to any other brand because I had never installed a new harness before. I will say that it is very high quality and the tech support and customer service from AAW is excellent.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 12:22 AM
Tech Team
Rich

My son had a 69 Camaro project that had the wiring removed and a Painless kit partially installed. When I went to work on it with him we bought a American Auto Wire and pulled out the Painless kit. there was no comparison to me between the two. I would take AAW
every time. Also great tech support.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 12:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF View Post
My son had a 69 Camaro project that had the wiring removed and a Painless kit partially installed. When I went to work on it with him we bought a American Auto Wire and pulled out the Painless kit. there was no comparison to me between the two. I would take AAW
every time. Also great tech support.
Agree, I am installing an AAW kit in my 67 Chevelle.

It has a modern fuse box with spade fuses and options for upgrades.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 1:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I was shopping for a new harness for quite a while. I wanted a direct replacement with little to no modifications. I also considered price. The AAW classic update was almost the same price as just a stock replacement dash harness from other vendors.

I had concerns over not being able to re -use my existing new OEM style ignition and headlight switches, due to rumors I read online. I ended up calling AAW directly and fielded my questions to them. I was able to use my stock style switches and the harness went into the car with no modifications to the car.

The harness was easy to install with good directions and great technical support. I borrowed crimpers a friend bought from AAW and watched their videos on how to properly use the crimping tools.

The classic update completely replaced all of my stock wiring. The kit offered features such as ATO fuses, accessory lighting, circuits for Power windows and locks. fans, fuel pumps, electric speedo, gauges, idiot lights and accessory circuits.

Everything works great with zero complaints. I would not hesitate to use another AAW kit.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 7:22 AM
Tech Team

AAW without a doubt is a great choice.
IF you order from them, save yourself some time and buy the crimping tools at the same time. You will need them.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 8:14 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Please understand, I like my AAW Classic Update wiring kit but I do have one small complaint. I had to call them to figure out where the hazard flasher relay got plugged into on the fuse panel.

Call me dense I suppose but there were no pictures or explanations for it. It plugs into the top left corner of the fuse panel and hangs off the edge. The turn signal flasher relay has a nice plastic circle that begs for it to be plugged in there.

But not the hazard flasher.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 8:47 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

On my AAW classic update kit there is an accessory panel/connector for additional upgrades. I believe it has room for 6 additional circuits to be run and If I recall correctly four are controlled by activating the ignition and two are battery powered.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 8:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

I used M&H Electric dash, forward lamp, engine and tail lamp harnesses when I rewired my 1965 El Camino back in 1999. Everything went back in just as the originals and worked as it should so I have no problem recommending them for stock or mildly modified applications. However, I will be using an AAW Classic Update when I finish putting the EC back together again this time as it supports (with some custom mods) my vehicle needs.

There are several good sources for vehicle wiring on the market today. I only have direct experience with M&H and have chosen AAW because of all the positive comments/experiences here on TC and AAW does have a presence on the forums providing support. That's a big plus in my book.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 9:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRSPT69 View Post
AAW without a doubt is a great choice.

IF you order from them, save yourself some time and buy the crimping tools at the same time. You will need them.

Which ones? Could you perhaps find a link for me? Thanks!

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 9:56 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

IMO there are much better choices in crimping tools. The AAW crimpers are limited to crimping one style of terminal end and they are limited in the size that you can crimp. Below is an example of a much better choice IMO. Does many more styles of terminals and many more sizes. There is also a less expensive choice that offers four sets of jaws and has the F style crimpers needed for the.AAW kit.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 7:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Is there anything that comes with the painless kit the doesnít come with the AAW or vise versa? Like is there a reason the painless one is $400 more? I looked at the online instructions for both and I will say to me the painless one is easier for me to read and understand. Does the painless come with lamp sockets, new floor dimmer switch, new horn relay mounted under the dash,, hazards and turn signal flashers mounted on fuse panel, and a new headlight switch? Apparently AAW comes with this stuff but does painless?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in