Electrical Connectors - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 7:44 AM Thread Starter

Talking Electrical Connectors

I'm having a problem with color when it comes to my blue electrical connector terminals. It might sounds a bit pernickety but it just doesn't look right.

The blue terminals i got came in a light blue color and others are in dark blue and it just looks wrong.

I want to switch them all out to the same dark blue color.

Has anyone had this problem before?

You can see what i mean in the attached photo.

https://imgur.com/lOk2Cgf

Thanks, PH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue terminals.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	592810  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 8:48 AM
Tech Team
Don

Re: Electrical Connectors

It seems different manufacturers use slightly different shades of colors on runs of the same part. I work at a 2 way radio shop where we use hundreds of crimp on connectors. When I re-stock the bins, I always notice different shades depending on where we buy them from. Even the pink connectors; some are see-through and some are solid color.
PostHaste likes this.

Don S
69 SS396
68 Impala SS427 x4
68 Impala L-72
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 9:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

I went to non insulated crimp terminals and shrink wrap, really like how they work, the wide variety of sizes/types, and they even look good Another advantage is you can shrink wrap over the female spade terminals (like in your photo) to provide a little protection/cleaner look.

Now for the controversial part: I crimp, solder, and shrink wrap. It's a bit more time consuming but I'm an overkill kind of guy. Some folks say not to solder that crimp is good or better without soldering (I've been told the aircraft industry is crimp only) so I may be wasting time with the soldering step.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 2:38 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

The aircraft industry does not use spade connectors. Most of the connectors they use are crimped pins that posi lock into an insulated connector and requires an extractor tool to disconnect. The only thing that I have seen soldered in an aircraft is wires to a switch. Occasionally one will see a ringed terminal.
hydro462 and PostHaste like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 6:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
The aircraft industry does not use spade connectors. Most of the connectors they use are crimped pins that posi lock into an insulated connector and requires an extractor tool to disconnect. The only thing that I have seen soldered in an aircraft is wires to a switch. Occasionally one will see a ringed terminal.

Thanks for the aircraft industry insight; in the past I've just been told that it's pretty much crimp only so I shouldn't be soldering as well. I bet those posi lock connectors are great.

I was referring to crimp vs solder vs crimp & solder, not the type of terminal as I would be shocked to see a non locking connector on a airplane. Maybe they do some type of non locking but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me; can't just pull over to fix a wiring issue. I use quite a few weather pack connectors and just crimp them with the proper tool; have had very good results with them.
PostHaste likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 6:56 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Sorry, guess I misunderstood. The answer then would be just crimp.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 9:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

aircraft terminals like splice crimp connectors, yes there are yellow blue and red aircraft connectors basically the same as automotive, and the pin connectors mentioned previously use special ratchet crimping tools with calibrated dies for a proper crimp. the ones for the red blue and yellow aircraft terminals make perfect crimps on automotive connectors
Blown1932 and PostHaste like this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 8:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalass427 View Post
It seems different manufacturers use slightly different shades of colors on runs of the same part. I work at a 2 way radio shop where we use hundreds of crimp on connectors. When I re-stock the bins, I always notice different shades depending on where we buy them from. Even the pink connectors; some are see-through and some are solid color.

impalass427, i've noticed this variation alright. It seems to depend where you order them from. I'm sticking to these guys now: https://www.truckelectrics.com/colle...ring-terminals

They have been shipping all the same shade... ie: the blue terminals are all dark blue and there's no mixup in shades. The red are fine too. But I havent tried any of the yellow.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 9:00 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

The colors are meaningless and I hate the colored plastic connectors. I have amassed a huge assortment of the seamless crimp connectors that I use with shrink wrap (also in various sizes). Itís important to have a proper crimper versus one of those cheap deals that just squeezes the connector.
LeoP, shovelrick, Don B and 1 others like this.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown1932 View Post
I went to non insulated crimp terminals and shrink wrap, really like how they work, the wide variety of sizes/types, and they even look good Another advantage is you can shrink wrap over the female spade terminals (like in your photo) to provide a little protection/cleaner look.

Now for the controversial part: I crimp, solder, and shrink wrap. It's a bit more time consuming but I'm an overkill kind of guy. Some folks say not to solder that crimp is good or better without soldering (I've been told the aircraft industry is crimp only) so I may be wasting time with the soldering step.

I agree with and do all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
The colors are meaningless and I hate the colored plastic connectors.

Yep!
PostHaste likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

I wouldn't use those connectors...ever.

Go too Waytekwire.com...

Find the type or terminals that you are looking for. Use non insulated terminals with a proper crimping tool. Cover the crimp with adhesive lined hear shrink tubing.

Andrew
PostHaste likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 1:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I'd be more concerned of the quality of your terminals over the color, those really are crap. The aircraft industry (at least back when I worked on airplanes) use PIDG terminals with a certified ratcheting crimper specific to each size.
PostHaste likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 8:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

I use black shrink tubing over all the connectors so they look all the same.
PostHaste likes this.

71 Malibu
Asst Novas
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 12:27 AM
Senior Tech Team

But will the black shrink tube from one batch from a supplier be the same as the next batch or the one before ?.

I can understand the OP wanting the two different ends to have the same color insulators and to me it's how far do you want to go with things.

To me I think PosteHaste has only been asked about coloring ?.

Jim
PostHaste likes this.

Always working on something:

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 9:12 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
But will the black shrink tube from one batch from a supplier be the same as the next batch or the one before ?.

I can understand the OP wanting the two different ends to have the same color insulators and to me it's how far do you want to go with things.

To me I think PosteHaste has only been asked about coloring ?.

Jim
In that case, the shades of black will vary less significantly than those that are blue, yellow or pink. And in case I missed it, the color of the wire can stand on its own merit as distinguishing which wire is which.

The easiest thing to do would be pull off the colored insulators and start using shrink wrap on them. That has the added benefit of insulating the spade and keeping dirt and moisture from entering the joints.

Now if you were to remove the insulators and use them you will soon come to the conclusion that you should not use them because of the seam in the barrel. They distort during crimping and are the biggest problem with those type of connectors.

Lastly with those huge plastic insulators, I have always seen where people donít use the correct connector for the wire size. The wire should mostly fill up the barrel. You look under the dash of a lot of cars and there are blue and yellow connectors where there should be red. Blue has become almost a universal size.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in