67 SS brake switch & dash lighting - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Unread Today, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

67 SS brake switch & dash lighting

Couple of questions. My Chevelle has been restored so I donít know if Iím dealing with original equipment. Been having trouble with my brake/stop light switch. It fits into a hole in the bracket above the pedal but even when adjusted fully into the bracket it still doesnít reach the plate to depress the plunger. So my brake lights stay on. Didnít see any other way to adjust it or the bracket. The car has power front disc and when searching vendors for a new switch OPGI was the only vendor that showed a switch for power brakes. Couldnít see a difference but suspect that maybe the plunger travel distance is different?
My other question is how many light bulbs light up the dash and their general location. I would like to replace them with disable led bulbs if I can find them.
Any help would be appreciated.
Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Unread Today, 12:25 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Re: 67 SS brake switch & dash lighting

Does your brake pedal have a return spring and does it return to the rubber stopper? If so, you might not have the correct switch. However, the same switch was used on many different applications and is a very standard item. The local auto parts store should have one.

As for using LED's in the dash lights, the factory dimmer switch is incapable of dimming LED's. You would have to add a LED compatible dimmer or make sure you don't put to bright of an LED and live with it.

66 CHEVELLE
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Unread Today, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

At the pedal there is a clevis that is connected to a rod coming out of the back of the booster. You should be able to adjust the pedal there to bring it up higher to trigger the switch. Also if you have power brakes there should be no return spring for the pedal the power booster is what returns the pedal and it dosen't have to come up to the rubber bumper either.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Unread Today, 7:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Appreciate the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in