Odd tach problem - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich-L79

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
David

Garage
Odd tach problem

On a 72 with SS gauges, I have an intermittently working tach. Sometimes it behaves normally. Sometimes not at all. But often at idle the tach will display about negative 200 RPM (the needle rest below zero. Increasing engine speed will increase tach, but always reads lower than it should. When I shut off the ignition, the gauge will jump up to the O mark and stay there. That is the needle will properly point while the engine is off. All other instruments requiring a good ground seem to be okay.

I just replaced the printed circuit board if that might have anything to do with it. BEFORE the replacement I had the same intermittent operation, but had never seen the negative rpm behavior.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 11:07 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Re: Odd tach problem

The electronics in that tach are nearly 50 years old, it is probably just about shot. Probably has a few weak solder joints inside or some of the components are intermittently shorting out. Either replace it or have it rebuilt with new electronics.
NickeyChevelle likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 1:27 PM
Tech Team

Do yourself a favor and send the tachometer to Redline Gauge Works. I got mine back quickly. They can also convert it to a very accurate digital unit. Don't worry you cant tell by looking at it

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 9:41 AM
Tech Team
Al

I also have had good luck with Red Line... Al
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 9:55 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
David

Garage

Thanks guys. I'm just going to replace the entire unit. This is my daily driver and I will likely have to pull the dash to replace it and I don't want to wait a couple of weeks. I'll wait until I have the replacement and then just swap out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in