Harness to the starter solenoid - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

5Likes
  • 2 Post By gnicholson
  • 2 Post By Philip
  • 1 Post By 1943MB

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 8:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lou

Harness to the starter solenoid

Hi,

When I wired up my starter solenoid of my 65 Chevelle I attached a wire to the "S" terminal of the solenoid and the larger cable to the positive terminal.

The "S" was the terminal when connected to the positive side of the battery turned the starter over.

I'm looking at my original wiring harness and cross checking wiring diagrams to see which of the two connectors go to the "S" terminal and the "R" terminal.

Does anyone know what the R and S mean and which wire goes where from my harness ? On every diagram I can find I'm seeing the two wires , one noted as red and the other black and pink going to the two terminals but in all cases they do not say which terminal on the solenoid is "R" and which is "S". The Assembly instructions show the "R and the "S" terminals but they don't say what color the wires are and to make things even more confusing they show three wires and the starter cable all converging on the solenoid in a side view with no reference to terminals or wiring colors.

Can anyone help

Thanks,

Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 9:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Re: Harness to the starter solenoid

the s or switch ,starter terminal is usually purple . it completes the circuit from the ign switch to pull the sol in to start the car. the r or resister terminal goes to the pos terminal of the coil and is for 73 and older cars with point ignition. it gives full batt voltage to the coil during cranking
David Bates and 1943MB like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
the s or switch ,starter terminal is usually purple . it completes the circuit from the ign switch to pull the sol in to start the car. the r or resister terminal goes to the pos terminal of the coil and is for 73 and older cars with point ignition. it gives full batt voltage to the coil during cranking
Okay, great got it , thanks a million

Lou

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 1:32 AM
Administrator

Garage

The R terminal wire is usually yellow and on a lot of the older cars is needed to have the ignition powered up during cranking.
LeoP and 1943MB like this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42
72 Concours Wagon L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lou

I had an idea, since I was looking at wires from my harness that were different colors than you guys and the books or charts or diagrams described I decided to run a continuity test.

Took the coil wire and put it to the positive terminal of my battery and ran my light continuity tester between the two wires in question and found the right wire by elimination. The coil wire is the black with a small narrow yellow lines wire which would go to the "R" terminal.

Thanks for the help

Lou
LeoP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in