Best radio and wiring harness - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Best radio and wiring harness

Hey,
So I am getting all the parts together to rewire the whole car and convert the dash from a 68 to 69. two questions

First for those of you who have rewired your cars which company did you go with and are you happy with the product and the instructions it came with, and how may circuits did you go for? Currently looking at a planless direct fit harness with 26 circuits. planning on essentially going modern with the car power windows door locks and such as well as an LS swap way down the line but thought I could do some initial ground work now.

Second radios, I like the look of the retro sound radios withe classic look and an LCD screen I think it fits the look I am going for classic but new. however the reviews for these seem pretty bad there are a lot of comments about the screen being dim and also about it going out in about 8 months to a year any one have any experience with these units? Also looking at Custom Autosound's head units but it seems like you have to look a the screen through the white numbers that are permanently fixed and I know I would find that annoying. Any thoughts? I wouldn't be opposed to a modern single din as long as I could get it to fit and look right in the dash.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 10:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hunter

Re: Best radio and wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerpa3466 View Post
Hey,
So I am getting all the parts together to rewire the whole car and convert the dash from a 68 to 69. two questions

First for those of you who have rewired your cars which company did you go with and are you happy with the product and the instructions it came with, and how may circuits did you go for? Currently looking at a planless direct fit harness with 26 circuits. planning on essentially going modern with the car power windows door locks and such as well as an LS swap way down the line but thought I could do some initial ground work now.

Second radios, I like the look of the retro sound radios withe classic look and an LCD screen I think it fits the look I am going for classic but new. however the reviews for these seem pretty bad there are a lot of comments about the screen being dim and also about it going out in about 8 months to a year any one have any experience with these units? Also looking at Custom Autosound's head units but it seems like you have to look a the screen through the white numbers that are permanently fixed and I know I would find that annoying. Any thoughts? I wouldn't be opposed to a modern single din as long as I could get it to fit and look right in the dash.

Thanks
Can't speak for the radio because I am wiring a modern one into my car, but my American Autowire harness I have had no problems with and everything is well labeled and easy to understand. I currently have an LS swapped engine, but just so you are aware, the engine module is completely separate from the rest of the wiring. There are a few wires from the harness which you will use, but for the most part it doesn't matter what harness you get, it will all work the same with the stock engine or an LS engine because you need an ECU for an LS engine. Good luck!

Hunter

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 6:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan3493 View Post
Can't speak for the radio because I am wiring a modern one into my car, but my American Autowire harness I have had no problems with and everything is well labeled and easy to understand. I currently have an LS swapped engine, but just so you are aware, the engine module is completely separate from the rest of the wiring. There are a few wires from the harness which you will use, but for the most part it doesn't matter what harness you get, it will all work the same with the stock engine or an LS engine because you need an ECU for an LS engine. Good luck!

Hunter

Thank you. I know that when I do the swap that the engine will need its own computer and all the sensors that go with it to make it happy, I just want to make sure that I future prof a little and make sure that I get enough circuits so that I am not piggy backing of ones that are already used kida like what is going on in my car now.

what radio are you putting in does it fit in the dash nicely?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 7:33 AM
Tech Team
Glen

Garage

I've heard good things about AAW. thats probably what I'll use when I do my 68. I also heard if you call them they are very helpful over the phone and know that on these old cars
people are adding modern electronics and can help you with that before you buy.
B52bombardier1 likes this.

1968 Chevelle
468 Big Block
Muncie M20 4 Speed
12 Bolt Posi 3.31:1 Gears
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 8:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

Stay away from custom auto sound. They are terrible. I went through 2 head units in under a year and that seems to be a very typical experience. I ended up leaving the head unit in the dash and just mounting a radio in the trunk and controlling it with bluetooth. And of course now I am going through the same process again with my other chevelle.

As for the wiring I have used both American Autowire and M&H. Both of them are awesome and I don't think you will go wrong with either one.
69SS454 likes this.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 6:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Keep in mind that reviews are created by people with problems, most of the people that are satisfied never go back and write reviews. I have a retrosound model 2, and I wanted the modern toys (usb/Bluetooth) and wanted to remove a hideous 1980ish radio that was in my El Camino. I have no complaints on look/functions on it, and love the knobs, actual cast metal chrome plated, very similar to 1967 knobs. I am not excited with how the bezel works, but on an 1967 with the sloped bezel, I probably wouldn't make anything nicer anyway.
I have not connected real speakers to it yet, but it sounds much fuller and better than my old POS did with the crappy 4x10s that are in it.
I have a 1967 AM radio in the back of my garage, and I still think about putting modern guts in it since it would look the best. My goal is to not have any black plastic in the interior (I have blue interior) other than the minimal places that were factory (like radio pushbuttons). So to me looks were as important as the actual functions.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 2:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Keep in mind that reviews are created by people with problems, most of the people that are satisfied never go back and write reviews. I have a retrosound model 2, and I wanted the modern toys (usb/Bluetooth) and wanted to remove a hideous 1980ish radio that was in my El Camino. I have no complaints on look/functions on it, and love the knobs, actual cast metal chrome plated, very similar to 1967 knobs. I am not excited with how the bezel works, but on an 1967 with the sloped bezel, I probably wouldn't make anything nicer anyway.
I have not connected real speakers to it yet, but it sounds much fuller and better than my old POS did with the crappy 4x10s that are in it.
I have a 1967 AM radio in the back of my garage, and I still think about putting modern guts in it since it would look the best. My goal is to not have any black plastic in the interior (I have blue interior) other than the minimal places that were factory (like radio pushbuttons). So to me looks were as important as the actual functions.
True, and I think I am going to go this route with the Daytona but for almost 350, plus the other hardware I'm going to need because it only drives at 45 watts RMS I just want to make sure I get a quality product. but it has the look I'm going (I am trying to get rid of the chrome) and all of the functions I want. It just sucks that this is an essentially a 150 dollar head unit for twice the price but I guess that is what I get having a 50 year old car

So yeah I think I am going to go with the retrosound and American Auto wire. still doing research hoping to order by the end of the week.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 3:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Here is my Model 2 installed

I think I will put some new center dash replacement in and then try a cheap speaker box behind the seat. Then depending on how loud that is, and how it sounds, I will use that as a basis for deciding on an amp and better speakers.
I actually synched my phone via Bluetooth to it and used it to answer calls.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 9:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
but my American Autowire harness I have had no problems with and everything is well labeled and easy to understand.
Hey Hunter,
Did you get the Classic Update Kit 510158 from AAW? If so can you confirm that it has 18 Circuits. having a hard time finding literature with details about the kit right now just looking at the Instructions online and counting fuses.

Thanks
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 10:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

I've heard that power windows for these cars run pretty slowly because of the wire lengths. If you have the wiring harnesses, I'd suggest you replace the wiring to the motors with the next larger size wire compared to whatever comes in the harness. And make the main feed wire 10 gauge all the way to the battery.

In the plastic under floor wiring protector sleeve, add a few 12 & 14 gauge wires from the dash to the trunk. You never know what you'll need in the future and you won't have to pull out the seats and carpet to add wires.
shovelrick and Cubsfan3493 like this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 12:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerpa3466 View Post
Hey Hunter,
Did you get the Classic Update Kit 510158 from AAW? If so can you confirm that it has 18 Circuits. having a hard time finding literature with details about the kit right now just looking at the Instructions online and counting fuses.

Thanks
Unfortunately I am not going to be able to help you much, I did not purchase the harness myself but simply rewired a disaster job of an AAW harness. The only reason I was able to do the full rewire without an instruction manual was because the wiring is actually labeled on the insulation with where each wire goes. Let me know if you would like a picture of the fuse panel and I will upload it tomorrow sometime. Here in the future I will probably rip out the harness I have now and start from scratch, but for now I don't have the patience...

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 9:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
I've heard that power windows for these cars run pretty slowly because of the wire lengths. If you have the wiring harnesses, I'd suggest you replace the wiring to the motors with the next larger size wire compared to whatever comes in the harness. And make the main feed wire 10 gauge all the way to the battery.

In the plastic under floor wiring protector sleeve, add a few 12 & 14 gauge wires from the dash to the trunk. You never know what you'll need in the future and you won't have to pull out the seats and carpet to add wires.
Thanks for the tip about the windows, and I was planning on pre-wiring for an electric fuel pump and probably a trunk actuator.

Quote:
Unfortunately I am not going to be able to help you much, I did not purchase the harness myself but simply rewired a disaster job of an AAW harness. The only reason I was able to do the full rewire without an instruction manual was because the wiring is actually labeled on the insulation with where each wire goes. Let me know if you would like a picture of the fuse panel and I will upload it tomorrow sometime. Here in the future I will probably rip out the harness I have now and start from scratch, but for now I don't have the patience...

A Picture would be great thank you.

As of the moment I am leaning toward the Painless harness because it has the extra circuits I want, still doing research though. Also it is looking like the gauges I want wont be available till June so that is going to slow things down a little but more time to save up some cash.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 3:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Ok I have ordered the painless harness and it is on its way now a little more into the specifics on the audio side of things.

The Plan for the Audio is to make a system that is essentially the equivalent to a modern car from the factoryÖÖmaybe with a bit more punch. I am not a audiophile just want to make sure I donít have any glaring flaws in my plan, I have installed several amps and speakers in cars so I am not stranger to it but this will be my first time using a crossover. Main uses are going to be Music (Rock/Metal/Country), Am talk radio and audiobooks.

Deck: is going to be the Retro Sound Daytona it has preouts for front, Rear and Sub.
Amp 1: is going to be Rockford Fosgate Punch P600X4 4-channel car amplifier 75 watts RMS x 4
Amp 2: is going to be Rockford Fosgate Punch P500X2 2-channel car amplifier 150 watts RMS x 2

Goal for the front is like I said before essentially like a modern car so the plan is a 3 way cross over and using a 6 Ĺ woofer in the kick panels, tweeter in the A pillars and small mids in the center dash location.

Crossover: Audiopipe CRX-303 RMS 150 watts Woofer Frequency: 20Hz-500Hz, Midrange Frequency: 500Hz-3.5KHz Tweeter Frequency: 3KHz-20KHz 4 ohms

Woofer with tweeter: Polk Audio DB 6502 4 ohms Frequency Response 35-23k Hz RMS 100 watts

Center speakers: Kenwood Dash 40 Watts not a lot of info from OPGI

Rear Speakers: Kenwood KFC- 6985PS Frequency Response 63 - 20k Hz 4 ohms RMS 115 watts

Sub: 2 X Rockford Fosgate Punch P1S2-10 10 inch Frequency Response 23 - 250 Hz RMS 250 watts

For the subs I would like to put them into a bandpass box, I have not picked one yet I still need to measure out the trunk or I might try and make my own.

And I know that some one is going to bring it up so yes I know that I need to make sure that I have an appropriately sized alternator for the Amps and other electronics I will be running. As well as the appropriate gauge of wire for the power side of things.

The only questions I have are does anyone know who might sell a bracket for the center dash speakers so I can choose my own speakers that will match my crossover, and second does anyone sell an A pillar with a hole for the tweeter? If not no big deal I can make my own bracket for the speakers and I have wanted to try my hand at fiberglass for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelleradio.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	590964  

Last edited by barkerpa3466; Apr 5th, 19 at 3:27 PM. Reason: spelling
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 3:45 PM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

I too have tried one of those Retro units and they suck. I have one sitting on the shelf, bluetooth not working, right side speakers not working, sub pre out not working.
Now I have a JVC media player mounted in the glovebox, Kenwood 6x9 KFC-6995PS in the package tray, Kenwood KFC-1695PS in the kick panels, 1200W amp driving 2 10" subs.
It sounds like a concert hall, Kenwood speakers did not need an Amp as they sound louder and clearer then the old Kicker 6x9s that were amplified through 4 channel amp. Honestly I was surprised by the quality of sound.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 5:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie K View Post
I too have tried one of those Retro units and they suck. I have one sitting on the shelf, bluetooth not working, right side speakers not working, sub pre out not working.
Now I have a JVC media player mounted in the glovebox, Kenwood 6x9 KFC-6995PS in the package tray, Kenwood KFC-1695PS in the kick panels, 1200W amp driving 2 10" subs.
It sounds like a concert hall, Kenwood speakers did not need an Amp as they sound louder and clearer then the old Kicker 6x9s that were amplified through 4 channel amp. Honestly I was surprised by the quality of sound.
Yeah I have my fingers crossed about the head unit. actually I generally go with Kenwood when I upgrade a cars system my Camaro is all Kenwood head unit, speakers, subs and sub amp. but I thought this time around I would change it up and expand my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in