Stereo and Amp install - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 3:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage
Stereo and Amp install

I have finally gotten tired of the bad sound on my factory 8 track. I have decided that I am going to add an aftermarket head unit and Amp in the trunk of my chevelle. I want to keep the installation as discrete as possible, but I need someone to sanity check me.

I have a reproduction battery in my car with sidepost terminals. I was thinking that I could pull power off of the starter terminal instead of the battery to keep the battery connection looking OEM. The concern that I have come up with is that I don't think there is anywhere under the hood to discretely mount the fuse for the AMP. I want to run black 4ga wire (I will label it on the terminal) From the starter into the cab of the car through the hole for the speedo cable. I could put the fuse behind the dash, but I am worried I would have several feet of unfused wire that could cause a problem if it were to get frayed and hit a ground. I was thinking I could possible use 8ga Fusible link at the starter, but I am not sure that it would work for this application.

Can anyone please sanity check this idea for me. Thanks in advance.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 7:19 PM
Levon

Re: Stereo and Amp install

Jon, I ran mine from the junction on the rad support (behind the battery), between the passenger fender and inner fender down the frame rail and into the trunk. Fused it near the junction block. No one ever noticed it.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 8:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Jon, I ran mine from the junction on the rad support (behind the battery), between the passenger fender and inner fender down the frame rail and into the trunk. Fused it near the junction block. No one ever noticed it.
The 72 doesn't have a junction block. Otherwise that would have been a perfect spot. The positive battery cable runs straight to the starter.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Garage

My recommendation would be to attach to the horn relay, with a fuse close by. Definitely want a fuse on a heavy gauge wire before it passes through sheet metal that could easily cut the insulation and cause a short and subsequent fire.
If attached to the starter solenoid, the fuse should be close and in the engine bay, before the wire breaches the firewall.

-Frank
1970 Chevelle Malibu, one family owner
355 SBC, XE262H cam, Performer RPM heads, MSD HEI, TH200-4R trans, 3.55:1 Posi, digital gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in