70 fuel guage wire color? behind dash - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 7:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

Question 70 fuel guage wire color? behind dash

70 chevelle Malibu sweep style gauge cluster, what color wire goes to the fuel level gauge, where does it run under the dash? harness? fuse box? steering column?

Ive got a pink and lime green wire coming from the gauge area,don't know what it went to?

Fuel level gauge is not working reason im asking. Ive read a few threads on the testing part.

Thanks for any help

Rob

Plan B Kill It With Fire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 10:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hunter

Re: 70 fuel guage wire color? behind dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 View Post
70 chevelle Malibu sweep style gauge cluster, what color wire goes to the fuel level gauge, where does it run under the dash? harness? fuse box? steering column?

Ive got a pink and lime green wire coming from the gauge area,don't know what it went to?

Fuel level gauge is not working reason im asking. Ive read a few threads on the testing part.

Thanks for any help

Rob
In my personal experience, the pink wire is usually ignition wire, so I would assume the other wire is your fuel gauge wire. I can't remember what color mine was but I also have an American Autowire kit. Not sure if it makes a difference or not...

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 10:43 PM
Tech Team
Rick

My AAW kit has a tan wire between the fuel sender in the tank and the gauge. The original harness from 1970 was also tan for this circuit. Mine runs from the rear of the vehicle, across the floor pan in a flat, black rubber ribbon wire protector and then up inside a rubber tube next to the fuse block. It pops out of the rubber tube along with many other wires and they go various, as required places after that.

Yes, pink is typically a 12 volt positive wire that is only hot with the key on.

Lime green at the gauge cluster is the high beam indicator light. Regular green is the temperature gauge, if equipped.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 5:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

Thanks for the info, I seem to remember the lime green wire on radiator support going to the high beams also.ill ck see if indicator is working,blue light? It has the idiot light for engine temp, I assume its not hooked to anything with no sensor for it anymore. Might be a stereo wire not hooked up either.

Ill have to pull the cover off below steering column see where it goes,tan wire?

Does anybody have a wiring schematic for that area ,column/fuse/dash cluster?

At the sending unit I read 8.4vts on the hot side/tan wire, i ran outa time to finish testing it.

Thanks for all the help

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in