Wiper Motor - Extreme mental capacity issues - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

5Likes
  • 2 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By EdCarpenter
  • 1 Post By Coppertop

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 2:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Hunter

Wiper Motor - Extreme mental capacity issues

Usually I'm not this challenged to solve stuff like this. I'm trying to install a wiper motor and the wiring on it is destroying my brain cells. There are 2 wires coming out of the motor, a red and a black. Where are these supposed to connect? Or are these two spade connectors supposed to connect to each other...somehow...Thank you!

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 9:08 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: Wiper Motor - Extreme mental capacity issues

You need to watch the following videos on You Tube from Chris Craft. He explains everything there is to know about wiper and washer pump wiring. I have learned so much A-body stuff from his channel.

Take screen shots of his diagrams, print them and take them to your car for testing.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 5:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
You need to watch the following videos on You Tube from Chris Craft. He explains everything there is to know about wiper and washer pump wiring. I have learned so much A-body stuff from his channel.

how to test GM wiper motor wiring and washer pump IMPALA CUTLASS GTO NOVA CAMARO CHEVELLE - YouTube

70-72 chevelle wiper motor trouble shoot on the car - YouTube

Take screen shots of his diagrams, print them and take them to your car for testing.

Rick
Thank you for the response! Yes he has been a huge help to me since I started my project, but unfortunately he doesn't give any information specifically on these wires. They are the only thing holding me up from having working wipers so it is kind of frustrating. Every picture I see of a wiper motor online shows them going inside the mechanical part of the wiper motor, but I don't see any terminals that they are supposed to connect to inside. Anyone else have a take on this? Thanks!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 5:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I looked at my 70 and both I think those 2 wires should connect. There are 2wires coming out of the housing under the plug. Those 2 wires go to the motor through the rubber grommet. I have no idea why you have 2 connectors in the wire. I can speculate and say that someone choked and didn't remove one of the wires and didn't connect the one running from the motor to the terminal inside the housing.

The wires end up going from the motor to the plastic connector inside the housing you can see at 11:20 in the first video. I would not take that apart...might be a can of worms.

I'm also clueless as to what year car you are working on, but looks like 70ish.

My phone went dead, so no picture. If you can wait me out, I 'l post a picture in a little bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical_1460738117.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	589302   Click image for larger version

Name:	70wprmtr  Wiring of wiper motor.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	589304   Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield washer motor with pump for 1970-73 Camaro.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	589306  

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Mar 17th, 19 at 6:08 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 9:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
I looked at my 70 and both I think those 2 wires should connect. There are 2wires coming out of the housing under the plug. Those 2 wires go to the motor through the rubber grommet. I have no idea why you have 2 connectors in the wire. I can speculate and say that someone choked and didn't remove one of the wires and didn't connect the one running from the motor to the terminal inside the housing.

The wires end up going from the motor to the plastic connector inside the housing you can see at 11:20 in the first video. I would not take that apart...might be a can of worms.

My phone went dead, so no picture. If you can wait me out, I 'l post a picture in a little bit.
I apologize, yes I am working on a 70 Chevelle. I'd love to see a picture when possible, but at least now I know I'm not crazy! So it would probably be easier to take the whole motor back off to get these wires sorted before I install it? Thanks for the response! At least now I have an idea of what I'm looking for.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 11:07 AM
Tech Team
Rick

I sorted out my washer - wiper wiring using a power supply and lots of jumper wires sitting at my kitchen table. I wanted to know the motor parked and did both speeds before I bolted it to the firewall. The diagrams from Chris Craft helped but also not having to reach across the fender to do these checks was very nice.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post

I went ahead and pulled the motor out for my own sanity to look at and the only solution I can come up with is that there was some kind of manufacturer screw up. Here are some pictures for our own sanity, I'm gonna try it out and see if it works. It just doesn't make sense to me why it is the way it is. The spades are both different types too, but not the type that is supposed to go together so it is throwing me off. Worst case scenario I'm back where I started. Thanks for your responses so far!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 11:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I've never had a motor apart. Maybe there's a terminal the wire off the white switch goes inside the motor.

I don't know the history of your wiper motor, but it kind of looks like a mixmatch rebuild they didn't get right.

The wire coming from the motor has paint or grime on it, so it could be original materials.

I think I would cut the terminals off and solder them together as close to the switch as possible to hide the splice, then heat shrink tube for protection. The cover should hide the splice. Unless you want to try your luck on motor disassembly. (can of worms?)

If you bought that from a local vendor, you might give them the "what for" and ask for another one.

I don't think you're crazy at all, someone is setting you up to think that.
Cubsfan3493 likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 6:03 AM
Senior Tech Team

The system depends on the wiper switch bracket getting a good ground from the dash ground strap that lays on the back of the dash board and is part of the harness ground to the headlight switch. Original dash plastic is very brittle and the screws in it holding the wiper switch may allow a poor connection.

This is for the 1970~1971 system, I believe the 1972 system has a wired ground through the plug, which is different.

On my '71, when I replaced my switch, I soldered a wire directly to the wiper switch bracket to give it a hardwired ground.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 6:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

You have the wrong motor. I just went through this on a 69 skylark. Wipers hadn’t worked for years. Verified the motor was froze up. I bought a replacement from O’r’s. Got it home and it looked like yours. Took an old motor from my stash (70 chevelle) no extra wires, it worked but intermittently wouldn’t park. The correct replacement motor was part #40-142. No extra wires.
Cubsfan3493 likes this.

Ed C.
-------------------------
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
-------------------------
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 2:50 PM
Gold Member
Joe

As stated above, wrong motor.

Ironically this was just covered not long ago, guess people forget....

Read my reply in this thread:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...or-w-park.html

The “flying leads” wiper motor question gets asked about once a year at least.
Cubsfan3493 likes this.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 2:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
As stated above, wrong motor.

Ironically this was just covered not long ago, guess people forget....

Read my reply in this thread:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...or-w-park.html

The “flying leads” wiper motor question gets asked about once a year at least.
Son of a bitch. Well, at least I got my answer now. Thank you guys for the help!

Edit: if anyone is looking to buy a brand new wiper motor for a Buick, let me know I can make you a killer deal. Unfortunately it has been too long to return it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in