67 SS 396 no power to interior - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By modern malibu

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 5:52 PM Thread Starter
Celeste

Wink 67 SS 396 no power to interior

Hi guys, I'm in need of some advice with my 67. Tuesday this week i dropped my steering column to put in a new rag joint and I had a bad neutral safety switch so went ahead and replaced that too. Before I put everything back on her I started her up and she purred like a kitten. But later that afternoon I went back out and she was dead in the water. I started trouble shooting and I will admit I am no good with this electrical stuff. Maybe someone out there has a suggestion on which way I should go.

Here's what I have: 1967 396 SS all original, power windows, power steering, tilt wheel, a/c from the factory.

Question #1. Under the dash on the passenger side far right, I have an orange and white wire going into a relay of some sort and the wire coming out the other side is red looking. I cannot find either orange/white or red on the schmatics for the 67, nor can I find that relay on any diagram Ive got. I think it may be going to the light switch maybe?. Anyone ever seen anything like what I described?

But here is my main problem.... I have no power now to the interior of the car. When she wouldn't start, I thought maybe I had a bad neutral safety switch. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time I bought a new part and it was bad right out of the box. Last year it was a bad set of points...well, I decided to run a wire to bypass the safety switch since they didn't have another one in stock and had to order it. I ran the wire and everything appeared to be ok, but thats when my interior power disappeared. On the firewall I have power to what I think is referred to as a connection (horn) relay (?) but NO power to the interior of the car at all. No power at the fuse box. Tested the starter, it is good. Battery is brand new and testing good. Have power at horn relay. Help! Thanks, Celeste

He said, "what cha gonna do with that fast car little lady?" She said, "I'm gonna drive the wheels off."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 6:27 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Re: 67 SS 396 no power to interior

Welcome to the site. Sorry can't specifically answer your question. Sure someone hear will be able to assist you.

Freddy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 7:09 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

I may be mistaken as I am going by memory, but the horn relay should be located on the core support on the left front. This contains a buss bar in which a red 10/12 gauge wire comes from the battery on the opposite side of the core support to the buss bar and then continues to the to the fuse block connector at the firewall. This wire should be a 10/12 gauge red wire also and is the main power feed into the fuse block.It was this way on my 66 and I believe it should be the same for 67 model years.
B52bombardier1 likes this.

Last edited by modern malibu; Mar 3rd, 19 at 7:17 PM. Reason: addition

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 9:09 PM
Tech Team
Rick

With a multimeter set to DC volts, you can trace that 10 or 12 gauge fat red wire for the presence or loss of 12 volts back to and through the fuse block. When you find where its lost, fix that.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 3:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Check for blown fuses. You might have blown one running the extra wire...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 6:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Check were the engine wiring harness from the voltage reg. side is plugged in and making go contact to the back of the fuse panel block. This is on the firewall close to were the steering column comes out. You may have hit it a little. This has happened to me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 3:50 PM Thread Starter
Celeste

Thanks very much for the suggestions. i will go take a look and let you guys know what I find.

He said, "what cha gonna do with that fast car little lady?" She said, "I'm gonna drive the wheels off."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 3:57 PM Thread Starter
Celeste

Cant check the fuses because as I said, fuse box is dead, no power.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 4:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Sounds like there is no power going through the firewall. Check the 10 gauge red wire connections under the hood at the horn relay & the junction post close to the battery.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 6:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

If your headlights don't work check the bulkhead connector under the master cylinder that the heavy red wire goes through from the horn relay.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 5:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SSchevygirl View Post

On the horn relay there is a fusible link that is connected to a 12 gauge red wire. That red wire powers up the fuse block. You’ve already tested power at the bus bar on the relay so-

1. Check that the fusible link is not burned.

2. Check that the bulkhead (outside of fuse panel) is tight at the firewall

Ray
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 2:06 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Think.we need some clarity. When you say you have no power going to the interior do you mean nothing works as in no lights, no headlights, no starter rotation, no radio with key on, no nothing?
The orange and white wires you made reference to are the following

Orange wire- constant 12 volts to anything that works with ignition in off.position such as dome light, console lights, cour test lights, clock.

White wire- ground wire for anything in the constant 12 volt circuit (orange wire circuit)

When you say that you tested, I assume you mean with a multimeter?
Did you have power before dropping the steering column?
There should be a connector coming out of the steering column near the base. Check all those wires.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SSchevygirl View Post
Just to be a pain, you can easily check fuses with the Ohmeter bit of the DVM. There are numerous vids on basic DC electricity. You can also check a fuse by turning on/off the load while measuring voltage.

If There's no power to somewhere, start at the battery, figure out where there is and not power in a line back to the battery/alternator.

Try, do, overcome, win
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 19, 7:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

After a sideways hit to the bumpers on my 1975 Impala, it would lose all interior power, everything, lights, fans, radio... The car would still be driving down the road. If I popped the hood release, it would all come back, while driving! The car was on its way out at that point due to rust in the rear, so never fixed that issue. I can only assume I lost a body ground somewhere, and only the engine was properly grounded.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 389 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.