Instrument light issues, '72 - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 9:16 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: Instrument light issues, '72

I would say with them working correctly on the hazard circuit that the issue could be with the turn signal flasher. Not positive but I think the flashers are the same part.for.both the turn signals as well az the hazards so you could try just swapping them to see if the problem changes.
Congrats on tackling your instrument lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 9:30 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstephens78! View Post
Update: I pulled the dash ans found that the location for the ground wire to the gauge housing/cluster was a threaded hole and no ground wire. I cleaned the area on the housing, the metal at the base of the "A" post and grounded it. Instrument lights work with the dimmer switch now. I am still having the slow blink on the driver's, and normal on the passenger side. If you turn the hazards on, all lights flash normal. Any further ideas would be appreciated.
When I hear about one side flashing at a different speed than the other, I would look to see if any bulbs are burnt out or not lighting up and then seeing if the bulbs are correct and of the proper wattage.

The flashing speed on the older style flashers is dependent on the load or amount of bulbs connected to it. In other words, if one bulb is wired to a flasher, then it would flash the bulb or turn on and off at a particular speed. Add in a second light and the load changes that the flasher sees and then the speed changes. Add in even more bulbs and it changes once again.

Keep in mind too that you have a turn signal flasher behind the dash and then another flasher in the fuse block and each one even if they had identical loads or amounts of bulbs wired to them, they will flash at different speeds. They are not made to super high design tolerances.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 11:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Try changing the flasher!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 19, 6:03 AM Thread Starter

As cheap as it is, that's definately worth trying.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 19, 6:06 AM Thread Starter

I'll pick up a flasher today and give it a try. Thank you for the information!
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 19, 8:14 PM Thread Starter

I purchased a HD flasher...all fixed! Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 393 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.