Right front turn signal - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By 69SS454
  • 1 Post By glinder46

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 4:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
George

Unhappy Right front turn signal

I have had problems in the past with turn signals but am stumped with this one. The right front turn signal does not work. Neither will the hazard signals work for the right front. The housings are new and well grounded. They worked until I had to take the gauge cluster out for a speedo problem. Not getting any voltage at all to the housing. Does anyone have any ideas? The last time I had problems was with the main connection into the cluster but it is in solid and I have no other problems.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 5:24 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Right front turn signal

What vehicle?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 5:27 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Check the connector at the steering column going to the turn signal switch. It might not be plugged in all the way. The right front turn wire is dark blue. Check this wire with a test light. If it flashes there, then check the same dark blue wire at the fire wall bulk head connector.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 5:45 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Have you checked for a severed wire around the cluster/dash?

I find that if I carefully trace the harness from end to end, putting eyes on every inch of the wiring and every single connector/connection, I often find the culprit without any electrical testing at all in the case of no power conditions.

Finding electrical gremlins is a special kind of torture, so I feel your frustration.

283 V8
Powerglide 2-Speed Automatic
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
George

Can you tell me how the circuit works.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 3:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

You can isolate the problem with a 12v jumper wire hooked to the blue wire on the body side of the connector at the steering column. If it lights the lamp, then the issue is in the turn signal switch. If not then you need to trace the wire forward to see where the voltage is lost.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
George

I'll start tracing the wiring. Will be a few days, Thanks to all
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 3:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you can, post what vehicle you are working with.

This can be real important as some may look at this thread and without a year, make and model, it's just too general of a question and may not get answered or get you on the path to getting the issue resolved.

Another question I have is, does the instrument panel's right turn signal light come on with the flashers activated or when the right turn signal is turned on ?.

While the below is for a 69 Nova, the basic setup is the same for a 69 Chevelle BUT we don't know if that is what you are having issues with.

Turn Signal Circuit:

Emergency Flasher Circuit:

Jim

Always working on something:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 3:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
George

I sent a 12v signal thru the connector to both L&R turn signals. The right one was dead, so as you suggest I will look downstream. I find it hard to believe it is the bulkhead connector since it was recently apart and cleaned so I'll start under the hood.

Thanks again,

It wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't so cold.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 3:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
George

Sorry, I thought that I had posted the vehicle but it is a 70 Chevelle SS 454
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 4:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by glinder46 View Post
I sent a 12v signal thru the connector to both L&R turn signals. The right one was dead, so as you suggest I will look downstream. I find it hard to believe it is the bulkhead connector since it was recently apart and cleaned so I'll start under the hood.

Thanks again,

It wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't so cold.
Yes, next place would be the bulkhead connector. Especially if it was apart.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 19, 4:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
George

I finally solved the problem. Sent a 12v signal thru the bulkhead connector to the dark blue right turn signal wire and it still didn't work. Removed the battery and found the factory connector to the lamp had the dark blue GM spade connector had released from the connector and wasn't supplying power. All the way to the end of the circuit.

Thanks, Everyone

George Linder
davewho1 likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 19, 9:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glinder46 View Post
I finally solved the problem. Sent a 12v signal thru the bulkhead connector to the dark blue right turn signal wire and it still didn't work. Removed the battery and found the factory connector to the lamp had the dark blue GM spade connector had released from the connector and wasn't supplying power. All the way to the end of the circuit.

Thanks, Everyone

George Linder
Just to expand on things, is in your situation the front turn signal light did not work due to the connection issue by the battery. The indash right turn signal light should have been working as this part of the circuit was before your issue.

Glad you got things figured out.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 19, 9:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Glad you found it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 397 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.