New Wiring Harnes for '70 Chevelle - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 11:45 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage
Re: New Wiring Harnes for '70 Chevelle

I used M&H and everything was exactly like factory. It might cost a bit more (maybe) but its worth it. Everything will be perfect with all correct connectors, wire retainers and correct gauge and color wire. Could not be happier with my decision to use M&H. True professionals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 12:40 AM
Tech Team

AAW also in my 69, I have to mention that they also have great customer support.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 1:54 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
I think this is the kit you would want for a 70. Cheaper from Summit and free shipping.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...model/chevelle

This would have essentially all the wiring need or would I still need to by a separate rear harness and other harnesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 2:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I have a question about the AAW classic update harness. I believe I read on another thread that the AAW requires their specific headlight and ignition switch.I also read that the AAW ignition switch had to be mounted in a way where the key was orientated upside down. Does anyone have any info on this. I like what I have read about AAW but I don't want to use an aftermarket ignition or headlight switch as I replaced both switches in my car.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 3:55 AM
Tech Team

I have the complete AAW kit. I gutted my old wiring and started over. Did not have to change ignition switch or headlight switch. Nice thing is that it has provisions for things like power windows or cruise control if you want to add later. Even has wiring for electric fans.
Also works well with Dakota gauge cluster I just added.
The kit from summit is the complete harness that I have. Head lights to tail lights and everything in between.

A word of advice, if you get the kit order the crimpers from AAW. it's added cost but you NEED them to do the many connections
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 9:09 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Chevelle__ View Post
This would have essentially all the wiring need or would I still need to by a separate rear harness and other harnesses?

This would be a complete wiring kit from bumper to bumper. The only wires that are not included would be the wiring INSIDE the steering column and the console wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell72 View Post
I have a question about the AAW classic update harness. I believe I read on another thread that the AAW requires their specific headlight and ignition switch.I also read that the AAW ignition switch had to be mounted in a way where the key was orientated upside down. Does anyone have any info on this. I like what I have read about AAW but I don't want to use an aftermarket ignition or headlight switch as I replaced both switches in my car.
That is all untrue.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 9:12 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Chevelle__ View Post

This is a complete wiring kit from bumper to bumper. The only wires not changed and are not part of the kit are the wires INSIDE the steering column and the console harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell72 View Post
That is all untrue.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 10:21 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
This is a complete wiring kit from bumper to bumper. The only wires not changed and are not part of the kit are the wires INSIDE the steering column and the console harness

That is all untrue.

I think this is probably the one Iíll go with if it has basically everything anyway. How much with the crimpers I donít think itíd affect cost to much really i guess? Also does it come with the softer wire loom and not the hard plastic one or should I just buy the painless wire loom separate?

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 4:26 AM
Tech Team

I think I paid about $80. for the crimper set. You can rent them from AAW or after your done with them you can sell them to the next guy who will need them. I chose to use my buy loom from my local NAPA store.
The kit I got included the console wiring.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 9:41 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

As far as the crimpers go I researched before i bought the kit. I bought the set below by tool aid. It is a quality set, has the F style crimpers jaws you need for the AAW kit. As a matter of fact this set the crimpers for the AAW kit do more crimps than the AAW kit. Also has three other styles for doing other style crimps. No brainer.

David Bates likes this.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 8:09 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRSPT69 View Post
I think I paid about $80. for the crimper set. You can rent them from AAW or after your done with them you can sell them to the next guy who will need them. I chose to use my buy loom from my local NAPA store.

The kit I got included the console wiring.

Forgot to ask before and this is pretty late but does this include the engine harness and ac?

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 2:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

Anybody used one of these from CPP? Each wire labeled with fuse panel.
WIRING KITS
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 3:47 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Each wire in the AAW kit has the circuit that wire is intended for printed repeatedly on the wire casing.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 7:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

Quote:
Each wire in the AAW kit has the circuit that wire is intended for printed repeatedly on the wire casing.
So do the ones from CPP
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 7:46 PM
Tech Team

Is there anything that comes with the painless kit the doesnít come with the AAW or vise versa? Like is there a reason the painless one is $400 more? I looked at the online instructions for both and I will say to me the painless one is easier for me to read and understand. Does the painless come with lamp sockets, new floor dimmer switch, new horn relay mounted under the dash,, hazards and turn signal flashers mounted on fuse panel, and a new headlight switch? Apparently AAW comes with this stuff but does painless?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in