Where to mount 2 elctric fan relays - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

7Likes
  • 2 Post By Kirk's67SS
  • 3 Post By 65conv
  • 2 Post By 1966_L78

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 8:07 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Curt

Where to mount 2 elctric fan relays

I have a Jegs wiring kit and 2 Jegs 12" fans. 65 Malibu. Instructions say mount the circuit breakers close to the fans and the relays close to the power source. The Jegs guys said he put his relays inside the car under the dash.
I'm thinking right next to the battery under the fender on the wheelhouse. Do I need to be concerned about water when washing it? Wondering what you guys doid.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 8:18 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage
Re: Where to mount 2 elctric fan relays

I have my battery in the trunk. I put mine where the battery would have gone or next to the radiator/battery might work if your battery is still there.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 2:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

DONT put them under the fender unless you get IP67 rated relays and socket housings..the water will kill them over time; a short time...
I have posted these before but here they are again..

top down view:

Note the tie-wraps around the relay and socket. I have found that in some installations they will vibrate loose over time.

I don't use the battery terminal for the feed to the fans as the voltage is usually lower at the battery than at the alternator output point. The higher the voltage the greater the flow from the fans. This set up also keeps the fans from turning on while you are trying to start the car..like on a hot day after a short stop.
Here is a wiring diagram:

My car is here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 3:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Mount the CBs & relays so that you have the shortest cable path between fans & battery. This will keep voltage drop to a minimum for max fan efficiency. Next to the battery is a good place, under the dash is a bad place.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 3:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Not a Chevelle/El Camino, but it works all the same(thumb is on relays) Battery is in the trunk.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 9:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65conv View Post
I have a Jegs wiring kit and 2 Jegs 12" fans. 65 Malibu. Instructions say mount the circuit breakers close to the fans and the relays close to the power source. The Jegs guys said he put his relays inside the car under the dash.
I'm thinking right next to the battery under the fender on the wheelhouse. Do I need to be concerned about water when washing it? Wondering what you guys doid.
Thanks
Placing the relays there will be fine. I just have cheap relays from ebay on a piece of aluminum bar bolted to the radiator support fin. As long as you don't soak the relays you'll be fine. I wash my engine bay often and drove my car through Hurricane Michael when heading to Pigeon Forge (marked as dumbest damn thing I've ever done). There were literal puddles in my floorboard and water splashing in from the doors when I got caught in it. 0 problems.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 9:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I guess I'm missing something here but wouldn't it be better to install a clutch fan and do away with all this wiring.

No electric fan can come close to an engaged clutch fan and you can adjust the spring for different temp settings..
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

I installed my 2 Efan Relays in the Engine Bay on the Rad Support on the Passengerside
above the Headlights and the Battery Tray where the Power Source/Battery Cable Thru Stud is for the whole car is
from the Battery located in the Trunk of the Car

See them to the right of 12 o'clock high in the Top of the pic
also the Power Source/Battery Cable Thru Stud in the corner of the Battery Tray

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 12:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I guess I'm missing something here but wouldn't it be better to install a clutch fan and do away with all this wiring.

No electric fan can come close to an engaged clutch fan and you can adjust the spring for different temp settings..
Not necessarily

Maybe he does not have the room for a Stock Type Clutch Fan and Shroud

Also a Clutch Fan does not work as well as a well planned out good Dual Efan/Shroud/2 Row Core Rad setup,
in/for Stop & slow Going City Traffic, since it is working at a Slower RPM Speed
than the Efans which work at their Max CFM output when on at all times
1966_L78 and hydro462 like this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 5:42 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Curt

Thanks all.
There has been a long debate about the electric fans vs. clutch fans and I read many of them.
In my case I was on a divided highway inside lane in a bad traffic jam overheating this past summer. I just got the car done after the frame off restoration. I finally got to the outside lane and off the road, but I decided then I was going to get the most cooling I could get to avoid this in the future. My setup is 2400 CFM. I have a friend with 1800 in a 67 Chevelle 396 and he never has a problem, so that is why I am going this route.
1966_L78, Kirk's67SS and Hotwire like this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 12:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

It may be true that a well put together clutch fan setup is often adequate, that does NOT mean a well thought out electric fan setup cannot cool as well, or better (in the case of low-speed cooling) Cheap fans, cheap radiator, and tuning issues can skew the data... I ran a clutch setup, which worked well, EXCEPT for the once or twice a year that I got caught in 100+ temps and HEAVY stop and go traffic (I also had a HD Stewart EMP Stage 2 water pump). I was seeing 210-215+ temps, which while okay, were disconcerting... after switching to the electrics, I only saw 200-205 once. My fans were the Flex-a-lite duals with the integral shroud and pressure relief flaps (#498?).

When I had my dual cooling fans (I sold the car last year), I was running the Derale adjustable fan controllers (#16749?, same part number as above, but an older design), I mounted them on the drivers-side where the washer fluid bottle goes... I also had a CS130 alternator, with an 8 gage cable running to a new junction (where I tied in the fans and the headlight relays), with another 8gage cable heading to the battery (still on the passenger-side of the radiator...

I also had indicator lights on my dash, that showed when each fan was energized. Typically, only the lower temp fan would be used (180 degree turn-on), with the second fan only turning on as needed (about 195). The fans were efficient enough that typically the two fans were enough to cool the car back to 185, where the "hot" fan would turn back off...
hydro462 and Kirk's67SS like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Garage

On the passenger side core support, the battery was moved to the drivers side. The washer bottle hides them. They will also fit well on the drivers side.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 7:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

How does the Jegs kit have you wiring the fans up? Are you proficient at schematics?

Reason I ask, I'm partial to wiring mine up with 3 relays like they did for the factory 98-02 Camaros, schematics are easy to find on the web. On low speed the fans are in series, so each gets 6 volts and run at half speed, you can't hear them pulling air. When temps rise and the fans kick on "high" they go parallel so both get 12 volts and run at max speed.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 7:41 AM
Tech Team

I would mount them as close to the Battery & Fan as possible and try to get some sort of water proof housing for them. You definitely don't want any type of moisture getting in them and ruining them or shorting out your system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in