american autowire upgrade kit - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By V1rotate
  • 3 Post By V1rotate

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
steven

american autowire upgrade kit

hope all is well in chevelle land, currently in process of getting my chevelle completed and back on the road after 20 years. have a question for everyone on the board. chevelle has been parked since 1997 or so, currently going through and upgrading and making whole again, i can go one of 2 way with stuff, change the engine harness and go M&H which would be the easier, or i can go with the aAAW classic upgrade which will add more time and expense. for those that have done it, is it worth it, or will stock wiring from the firewall/dash back be ok and just upgrade the front end area. thanks for the help, this board is phenomanal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	585006  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 11:37 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: american autowire upgrade kit

I got rid of every millimeter of nearly 50 year old wiring from my 70 El Camino. That stuff had cracked, crumbly insulation that would have leaked all the smoke out almost immediately.

I'm currently installing an AAW Classic Update kit but I have a PSI wiring harness for my LS engine. I have the AAW engine kit but I'm not using it. There's also a lot of wires not being used with my Dakota Digital HDX gauges.

All in all, I'm happy with the AAW kit so far but I'm struggling with no drivers side rear turn signals or flashers. My two hours of play time tonight with wiring at the front of my EC should tell me a lot about these two problems.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 1:12 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I used the upgrade kit from AAW in my 70. The quality of the kit, instructions and customer support was great. It is probably more work to install the upgrade kit than the factory replacement harness but I think it is worth it because you get more circuits and you get the more modern type of plastic fuses.
I also installed a Dakota Digital dash and a Vintage Air A/C system, having extra circuits helped.
B52bombardier1 likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 1:27 PM
Tech Team

I installed the AAW kit in my nova. I went with the classic because of the extra circuits, which i'm glad i did. Very nice and easy to follow instructions. One thing I would do is buy their crimping tools as they are made for their terminal ends,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180801_202050.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	585022  

1970 LS6, unrestored, 4 speed,special ordered orange

1972 Nova, 557ci, Legend 5 speed, FiTech EFI 8, lemons Headers, 723hp/690tq
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 1:52 PM Thread Starter
steven

thank you all for the responses, i am going with the holley sniper setup and dakota digital. it sounds as if this is the way to go if going away from stock setup. again thank you
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 2:01 PM
Tech Team

Garage

My '70 Camino had to go to AAW classic upgrade after the harness caught on fire after all those years of being hacked. Glad I did it.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 3:07 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimsls6 View Post
I installed the AAW kit in my nova. I went with the classic because of the extra circuits, which i'm glad i did. Very nice and easy to follow instructions. One thing I would do is buy their crimping tools as they are made for their terminal ends,

I will second what Slim said about buying the crimping tools for the connectors. AAW sells them and so does Summit Racing. You really need them to make good connections.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 3:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1rotate View Post
I will second what Slim said about buying the crimping tools for the connectors. AAW sells them and so does Summit Racing. You really need them to make good connections.
How difficult was it to make the crimps with the AAW tool? I'm in the market for a new harness for my 68 Chevelle project and I've heard it is somewhat of a delicate procedure with little margin for error.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 3:50 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1rotate View Post
I disagree about buying their crimpers. Below is a much better set that will do way more types of crimps than the AAW crimpers and can be had for half the cost. The AAW classic update kit is very good.

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/sg-tool-...8aAlRkEALw_wcB

Or this set is even better. I have this set and did the entire update kit with it plus have used it for other projects.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-G-Tool-Ai...oAAOSwc-tY3U45
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 4:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I used the AAW BB engine harness for HEI, front lights & rear light harnesses on my 68 Malibu, very nice

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 4:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

I'm doing a complete rewire with the AAW upgrade kit for a couple of reasons-
1- 50 year old wiring that was barely capable when it was new is now toast (pun intended)
2- I am adding A/C, big cooling fans, big fuel pump, fuel injection... so I want the ability to add circuits with relays and not worry about the loads.
3- The crimper issue is covered because I have the weatherpac and factory style crimpers.
4- Like the saying goes- how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Just pick away at it and have fun doing it... yeah, ok...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 5:24 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell72 View Post
How difficult was it to make the crimps with the AAW tool? I'm in the market for a new harness for my 68 Chevelle project and I've heard it is somewhat of a delicate procedure with little margin for error.
It is not difficult to make crimps with AAW crimpers once you know how. AAW has an instructural video on their website, it is also on You Tube. They give you some extra connectors to practice on.
LeoP, wihaltom and dell72 like this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 19, 7:03 PM

Congratulations on your project to get back on the road!!! All the previous comments are right. 50 year old wire is not good. I just started installing an AAW kit in my '65 El Camino. Its a high quality kit. After inspecting the original wiring, I was surprised the thing hadn't burned to the ground years ago. Besides, the extra circuits will support electric fans, fuel pump, etc. Good luck.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 2:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

AAW all the way..........

66 Malibu
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 9:12 PM
Tech Team

Boy oh boy. I changed every wiring harness in my 68 with M&H. After 50 years they are total junk IMO. I also had M&H change my engine harness to HEI so they will make some changes for you. I have gauges and AC. A separate AC harness works off the horn relay to get power back to the AC unit. 68 is a one off kind a car and the AC wiring shows it. M&H does give a discount if you buy the whole setup and I am very happy I didn't try and do it on my own and I have an electronic background. The wiring diagrams in the assembly manual are almost useless with gauges although I have been told much better diagrams are available. If I was going to use the factory dash and gauges its a no brainer to go the plug and play way. If you need extra circuits for fans, stereo's etc. I would add a sub panel in addition to the factory stuff. It might cost another 500 bucks but in my opinion well worth it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in