Blower motor help - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By goodnight144

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Cody

Blower motor help

I recently did a conversion to an ss dash on my 70 chevelle and used the harness and gauges from a monte carlo. I'm not getting any power to my heater blower motor now. Ive confirmed that the fuse is good and that it is getting power. The motor runs if I jump it off the battery. If I hook up power from the battery to the tan wire it will run on high. Im wondering if it is hooked up differently on the monte carlo than the chevelle. I couldn't find anywhere to hook up the harness in the picture but the brown wire on it has power. The wire pictured is where I believe the power fed in before doesnt get power when I hook it up to the only wire that fits into it (which is a different color than the previous harness wire).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_100526_1548605430123.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	584652   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_100529_1548605446797.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	584654   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_100613_1548605463831.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	584656   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_100546_1548605480127.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	584658  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 1:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Blower motor help

Was your car originally equipped with a/c? I'll get you a bump to the top of the thread list see if we can get a quick answer. I'll have to dig in to give you a 100% answer and it will take me some time because I'm busy with the honey do's.

Maybe this wiring diagram will get you started.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1970 CHEVELLE WIRING DIAGRAM ss ccw  best copy.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	584670  

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Jan 27th, 19 at 1:56 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 1:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Cody

The chevelle was originally an ac car. Unfortunately I don't know if the monte carlo that the harness came from was.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 2:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnight144 View Post
The chevelle was originally an ac car. Unfortunately I don't know if the monte carlo that the harness came from was.
So you probably don't know the year of the monte harness either? OK....we'll get this done. There were some changes made depending on the years. If this is your only issue you've lucked out. There are big differences in the idiot light vs gauge package wiring systems for 70.

OK. Check the wiring diagram I inserted into a previous post. Click on the attachment, then click on what pops up and it will expand for a better view. If you have an AIM, wiring diagrams for the various versions are listed there.

If you kept your stock wiring harness, you maybe able to reverse engineer the connection if they differ.

Maybe someone will pop in and help me out here...I'm rusty here and need to brush up, but still involved with the honey dos.

Does that wire in your hands fit on the blower motor switch on the dash? If there is one there, it may still be from the original harness. Don't start chopping and hacking, we may have to use some of your old wiring harness to get this done.

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Jan 27th, 19 at 2:22 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 2:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
So you probably don't know the year of the monte harness either? OK....we'll get this done. There were some changes made depending on the years. If this is your only issue you've lucked out. There are big differences in the idiot light vs gauge package wiring systems for 70.

OK. Check the wiring diagram I inserted into a previous post. Click on the attachment, then click on what pops up and it will expand for a better view. If you have an AIM, wiring diagrams for the various versions are listed there.

If you kept your stock wiring harness, you maybe able to reverse engineer the connection if they differ.

Maybe someone will pop in and help me out here...I'm rusty here and need to brush up, but still involved with the honey dos.

Does that wire in your hands fit on the blower motor switch on the dash? If there is one there, it may still be from the original harness. Don't start chopping and hacking, we may have to use some of your old wiring harness to get this done.
I'm about 75% certain it came out of a 70 monte carlo as the radio that was with it was correct for a 70. The wire in my hands does not fit onto the blower motor switch. I have a set of heater controls that I randomly acquired somewhere that it does fit perfectly on the control switch for but I don't know what it came from (I'm fairly certain some kind of gm a body car). From what I can tell from the old harness the brown wire that is hot on the connector was what powered the system on the old harness but connected differently.

The only other problem I've run into so far as I can't get the turn signal indicators to light up despite replacing the bulbs but I'm not too worried about that as the turn signals are working.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 3:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Is there power to the brown wire with the crimp on connector? If there is no power there, this may be your issue. I think you said there was power to the other brown wire with the factory connector that is currently not connected to anything. The brown wire supplies power to the blower switch from the fuse box....if I'm reading this correctly.

We can work on your turn indicator lts when we resolve the heater issue. It may be related to a ground connection, which I don't think would affect the blower motor controls.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 7:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Cody

So I used a jumper wire and connected the brown wire on the harness to the connector that provides the system with power. Now it will come on but only on the high setting. I have determined that the blower resistor in the engine bay is completely missing so would that explain why I don't have the other speeds?
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 6:27 PM
Tech Team

Yes, it would.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 6:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

These cars had a separate "add-on" harness when A/C was to be installed. The A/C harness you took from the Monte should have a rubber grommet to go through the fire wall and an inline fuse holder that goes on the firewall.

Here''s the A/C wiring:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1970 AC.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	585118  

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 6:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-CONDITI...2GMr:rk:1:pf:0

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 6:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

DUTCH MAX HEADWORK, the PDF file you linked, do you have one for 1971? I've never seen it that detailed and clear.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in