Factory fuse panel question - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

9Likes
  • 1 Post By modern malibu
  • 4 Post By Coppertop
  • 4 Post By Jim Streib

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Factory fuse panel question

On the factory fuse panel of my Ď69 there are spade terminals for Ignition, Accessory and Battery. There is not a fuse in the panel with a similar label so my question is are these circuits fuse protected somehow?

406 SBC, 9:1, AFR 195s, TH400, Coan converter, 3.50
ProCharger D1SC, 10 psi., AIS meth injection, Carb Shop 750 (Sniper EFI conversion 2019)
1.319 60', [email protected] on pump gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 10:22 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage
Re: Factory fuse panel question

No, these terminals are not fused. If adding an additional device, use the correct size fuse in the wire to the load to handle the current draw.
RealRed70 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 11:07 AM
Gold Member
Joe

Oh course these are fused!

Each spade lug is protected by a circuit fuse.

For example, the IGN spade lug is protected by the turn signal fuse.

GM would never let add-ones be unfused.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

While the below is on a 67 Chevelle, even the spade terminals on the newer fuse blocks for the 69 are also fuse protected. These "taps" as I call them are for adding accessories like rear defroster, cruise control, and other things. You just have to do the math to figure out how much power is available and what can be pulled out of these "taps". In other words if one of the "taps" is protected by a 20A fuse and that circuit is already pulling 10A, then the most you can pull out additionally would be 10A. Anything more will require a different circuit design.

You will also notice too that the newer fuse blocks are also keyed to mate up with the correct plug so that when a factory accessory was added it could not be plugged into the wrong spot.

Below are some plugs for factory accessories (Notice they include another connector to where more than one accessory can be plugged in and daisy chained off of the one spot from the fuse block):

Cruise Control Ignition 12V Fuse Block Plug:

Cruise Control Lighting 12V Fuse Block Plug:

Rear Defroster Accessory 12V Fuse Block Plug:

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 3:29 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

I stand corrected. Must be getting old. Seems counter intuitive to have the bus wired to include add on circuits through an existing fuse as this would allow anyone to add as many accessories to the circuit by simply adding a bigger fuse, but pictures don't lie. I apologize for submitting the wrong information. By today's standards this would never fly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 5:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
While the below is on a 67 Chevelle, even the spade terminals on the newer fuse blocks for the 69 are also fuse protected. These "taps" as I call them are for adding accessories like rear defroster, cruise control, and other things. You just have to do the math to figure out how much power is available and what can be pulled out of these "taps". In other words if one of the "taps" is protected by a 20A fuse and that circuit is already pulling 10A, then the most you can pull out additionally would be 10A. Anything more will require a different circuit design.

You will also notice too that the newer fuse blocks are also keyed to mate up with the correct plug so that when a factory accessory was added it could not be plugged into the wrong spot.

Below are some plugs for factory accessories (Notice they include another connector to where more than one accessory can be plugged in and daisy chained off of the one spot from the fuse block):

Cruise Control Ignition 12V Fuse Block Plug:

Cruise Control Lighting 12V Fuse Block Plug:

Rear Defroster Accessory 12V Fuse Block Plug:

Jim
Thanks, this is great info, I didn't know about the factory accessory harness keying.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 9:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks everyone! I thought surely they were fused but wasnt sure how. Didnt know if they relied on fusible link or something. I just had a meltdown in the internal wiring of an EFI system i am installing so now im curious/worried about a defective unit burning the car down.

Interesting thing is no fuse popped. Even the built in fuse in the EFI wiring harnes. Just melted a few wires. I guess i was quick enough turning the key off.

406 SBC, 9:1, AFR 195s, TH400, Coan converter, 3.50
ProCharger D1SC, 10 psi., AIS meth injection, Carb Shop 750 (Sniper EFI conversion 2019)
1.319 60', [email protected] on pump gas
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 9:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I wouldn't run the circuit at capacity either unless you feel like changing fuses all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in