67 Dash Clock - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pioneer4x4

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

67 Dash Clock

After reading a thread I thought about trying to get my old dash clock to work on my 67 that I removed and put a blank plate in. I took the clock apart last night and cleaned the points and winded it up and put it together to test. There is power and at the contacts it sparks and opens and then it winds down and when the contacts touch they spark and open again. The clock doesn't tick and it is not frozen or have dirty gears because I can spin it easily now and hear a tick. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 8:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage
Re: 67 Dash Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROCK142 View Post
After reading a thread I thought about trying to get my old dash clock to work on my 67 that I removed and put a blank plate in. I took the clock apart last night and cleaned the points and winded it up and put it together to test. There is power and at the contacts it sparks and opens and then it winds down and when the contacts touch they spark and open again. The clock doesn't tick and it is not frozen or have dirty gears because I can spin it easily now and hear a tick. Any suggestions? Thanks.
If it winds down and resets and repeats it should be working. I can't hear very well and if I put my ear right up to it I can just hear it. But it's not loud to me. While it's windings down you should see the little wheel spinning and gear movement. Do they move?

"... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 8:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW68SSBBC View Post
Quote:
If it winds down and resets and repeats it should be working. I can't hear very well and if I put my ear right up to it I can just hear it. But it's not loud to me. While it's windings down you should see the little wheel spinning and gear movement. Do they move?
So when I wind it up and then put it together and the clock starts working but the second hand doesn’t move even with power. The points look very clean and there is power at the coil and points. Once the wheel moves around and contacts the points there is a spark and it bounces back a little and then goes slowly until it touches which takes about 10 seconds and then sparks and shoots back again but the clock is not ticking.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok she works now but it resets about ever 40 seconds not 2 - 3 minutes.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 2:51 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Lubrication is the key. I use fine precision Teflon based oil.

But, years ago I spoke with a professional Horologist, anywhere from 40 seconds to 2 minutes is deemed “acceptable”.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 7:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Ok she works now but it resets about ever 40 seconds not 2 - 3 minutes.
I get about 45 seconds to a reset. I agree about proper lubrication being important. Also a weak coil would also make for a took short reset set time. You would have to know the resistance it's supposed to have and I have no clue. I'm going to run mine as is

Good luck
Joe

"... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 10:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
Lubrication is the key. I use fine precision Teflon based oil.

But, years ago I spoke with a professional Horologist, anywhere from 40 seconds to 2 minutes is deemed “acceptable”.
You been looking for a reason to use that word on us!

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 9:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW68SSBBC View Post
I get about 45 seconds to a reset. I agree about proper lubrication being important. Also a weak coil would also make for a took short reset set time. You would have to know the resistance it's supposed to have and I have no clue. I'm going to run mine as is

Good luck
Joe
Just curious, are you testing with engine running? There is about 2 more volts when running, so it would wind a good bit more and run longer per wind.
fishhead likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 10:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Just curious, are you testing with engine running? There is about 2 more volts when running, so it would wind a good bit more and run longer per wind.
No. I'm bench testing it with a battery jumper pack and my wife used it to pump up a tire (it has a little tire inflator on it) so it's probably not fully charged

Thanks Joe

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 9:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Re: 67 Dash Clockvg

v vb vb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post

New oil is cheaper than new parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in