wiring harness instalation - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 8:49 PM Thread Starter

wiring harness instalation

I have a 70 Chevelle ss and I am looking for a company to install a harness for my car in the NY / NJ area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 11:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: wiring harness instalation

FIRST, It is not difficult,,,,,,, It just takes a lot of time. Second, Most of the plug ins are " For the most part " Idiot proof, Wadda Ya Mean???
The plugs have various shapes and can only go in one place. The Auto Mfgs. did not have Nobel Prize Winners building automobiles. It is just labor intensive. Myself and others have done this. My I.Q. is Three points above a Turnip. Hell, I got it done. Whats the Joke about Rocket Sci????
Go slow take your time and you and the wires will be fine!
Bob
davewho1 likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 12:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

FWIW....Have replaced many of the wiring harnesses on my 70 El Camino with M&H products to date. Problems...Harness comes unlabeled as to what goes where especially when the "original" wiring was replaced or non-existent, tech support, if you can get through the busy signal wait, is fair at best, like they are giving away classified information. Harness is generic in that I have wiring for a console in a non-console vehicle, etc. It would really be helpful if plugs/wiring were labeled or they would at least sent a diagram with the loom, for the price charged the service could be improved. The product itself is very good..the guessing game is not. On older vehicles, the original wiring may well be missing so it is not a case of "unplug the old and plug in the new".

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 12:32 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I changed out the harness on my 70 using American Autowire. It was high quality and the instructions were good.
Like others have said, it's not rocket science, just take your time and do one wire at a time.
I had a few questions while doing my project so I called their customer service number, each time I called I got right through
and the people I spoke to were very friendly and helpful.
fishhead likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 1:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I've done several American Auto Wire kits now. On the first one, I had questions and called them. I apologized for asking what were probably dumb questions, and the person in customer service was polite, helpful and told me they get questions from people doing their first harness all the time. I haven't had to call since the first one. Try it, you'll love the satisfaction of having done it yourself. If you hit a snag or have questions, try us or Customer Service at AAW.
V1rotate likes this.

66 Malibu
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 6:54 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Welcome to the site, although I can't offer any assistance with the harness. Good luck with whatever way you decide.

Freddy
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 7:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

James, welcome to Team Chevelle!

Where in the NY/NJ area are you located?

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 7:48 PM
Team Member
Roger

I used a AAW wire kit in my Elky. It was easy, just took some time. I tested each function as I moved thru the install. I also found AAW's customer service department very helpful. If I need another wiring harness, I'll use AAW.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2005 Silverado 3500 LS
2013 Sierra 1500 SLT
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 6:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Welcome James, to Team Chevelle.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 8:15 AM
Tech Team
Bob

Garage

I did a painless update harness for my elco and found the kit to be high quality, and the instructions superb. Would not be afraid of using their product again. The elco has some specific items for the rear of the vehicle and I used the AAW elco rear harness for that, and their product is also first rate. Updated the headlights with their relay kit and it made a huge difference in the lighting.

55 Chevy Resto Mod - Sold
99 Corvette - Sold
68 El Camino - L79 Tribute
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 2:46 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1rotate View Post
I changed out the harness on my 70 using American Autowire. It was high quality and the instructions were good.

Like others have said, it's not rocket science, just take your time and do one wire at a time.

I had a few questions while doing my project so I called their customer service number, each time I called I got right through

and the people I spoke to were very friendly and helpful.

If you have any tips Iíd greatly appreciate your help Iím only 17 and this is my first one on my 70 as well. Iíve never done this before so the instructions are like a foreign language to me but if you have any advice or tips that would be great. Iím using American Autowire of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 4:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Chevelle__ View Post
If you have any tips Iíd greatly appreciate your help Iím only 17 and this is my first one on my 70 as well. Iíve never done this before so the instructions are like a foreign language to me but if you have any advice or tips that would be great. Iím using American Autowire of course

The best advice has already been stated..........I know it's overwhelming at first. Sit down with the instructions and read thru them......a couple of times.

AAW kits come in separate bags for each phase. Follow them on order. Take your time. Attach one wire, then move on the next one, and soon you'll see that section is done.

If you ordered the factory replacement, all the ends are on and lengths are correct, as I understand. (I've never done one of those). The classic upgrade kit needs ends put on each wire. The instructions in the bag will have drawings of the different type of ends for each wire in that bag. I just lay them all out on the bench in the order of their drawings, and pick up the one I need when doing that particular wire.

You do have all the interior out of the car, right? That makes it a lot easier (at least for us old guys). Buy or rent the correct crimpers, and practice with the samples in your kit first.

I can't tell you how proud you'll be when you've got the whole car wired and everything works...........and you did it yourself!

66 Malibu
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 12:21 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
The best advice has already been stated..........I know it's overwhelming at first. Sit down with the instructions and read thru them......a couple of times.

AAW kits come in separate bags for each phase. Follow them on order. Take your time. Attach one wire, then move on the next one, and soon you'll see that section is done.

If you ordered the factory replacement, all the ends are on and lengths are correct, as I understand. (I've never done one of those). The classic upgrade kit needs ends put on each wire. The instructions in the bag will have drawings of the different type of ends for each wire in that bag. I just lay them all out on the bench in the order of their drawings, and pick up the one I need when doing that particular wire.

You do have all the interior out of the car, right? That makes it a lot easier (at least for us old guys). Buy or rent the correct crimpers, and practice with the samples in your kit first.

I can't tell you how proud you'll be when you've got the whole car wired and everything works...........and you did it yourself!

Thanks and yes I do have the interior out of the car already. So each bag has like its own little instruction manual with it? And will there be any cutting I need to do to the wire as in is it longer on purpose to allow for alternative routing?

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 12:23 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Chevelle__ View Post
Thanks and yes I do have the interior out of the car already. So each bag has like its own little instruction manual with it? And will there be any cutting I need to do to the wire as in is it longer on purpose to allow for alternative routing? Did you solder any connections or is it not necessary if so itís ok I think because Iím decent a soldering itís not too hard?

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 9:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

The wires are plenty long, you'll probably be cutting most of them to length.

66 Malibu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in