Windstar fans and wiring - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

Windstar fans and wiring

On my 68, I will be replacing my clutch fan with a dual electric fan set up I pulled from a windstar / freestar, and I am struggling in my head with how this is going to work out. Iím hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

I read https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...lay-sizes.html and it looks like I need not one but two 30amp relays (I only bought one). But how does this all go together? I mean, where did people mount the relays, what wiring do they use, what ends do people use for the connections, where do folks tap into for the switch?

I have a single relay and a kit with the temperature probe in addition to the right gauge cable, fans (of course), and an in line 30amp fuse.

1968 Chevelle Malibu 454, mild cam, 30 over, 12-bolt 3.73 rear
1972 Chevelle Malibu 350, radical cam, 30 over, 10-bolt 3.55 rear
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6L (281), Stock
There are no Ford vs. Chevy wars in my garage. It's all U.S. muscle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 8:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Re: Windstar fans and wiring

Ok, first of all... Calm.....
The relays are usually mounted on the radiator support, I would put them close to the horn relay on the driver's side. This allows you to connect the relay coil power directly to the "bus" on the horn relay. For the wiring I would use 12 AWG for motor power (and ground!), the coil side of the relay can be wired with 14 AWG.
What is the plan for controlling them?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer
'68 Malibu GM 383 700R4
This is how we roll:
It's still a Family affair!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 8:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Whoops, just saw you are using a temp probe. So does that turn on both fans? Or are there 2 contacts that turn each fan on independently?

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer
'68 Malibu GM 383 700R4
This is how we roll:

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Ok, first of all... Calm.....
The relays are usually mounted on the radiator support, I would put them close to the horn relay on the driver's side. This allows you to connect the relay coil power directly to the "bus" on the horn relay. For the wiring I would use 12 AWG for motor power (and ground!), the coil side of the relay can be wired with 14 AWG.
What is the plan for controlling them?
Thanks. Itís a little confusing as to what to do.

When you say ďthemĒ, does that indeed mean I should have one for each of the fans?

With the fans pulling 25amp, I thought Iíd need 8AWG..maybe 10AWG. Isnít 12 unable to handle that kind of draw? The fans are wired in series..

I have a probe and control unit that came with a kit.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc View Post
Thanks. Itís a little confusing as to what to do.

When you say ďthemĒ, does that indeed mean I should have one for each of the fans?

With the fans pulling 25amp, I thought Iíd need 8AWG..maybe 10AWG. Isnít 12 unable to handle that kind of draw? The fans are wired in series..

I have a probe and control unit that came with a kit.
Ok, let's start with what kit you bought. Can you post a model number or schematic? That'll help me with how the kit suggests you wire the relays/fans up.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer
'68 Malibu GM 383 700R4
This is how we roll:
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 8:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc View Post
On my 68, I will be replacing my clutch fan with a dual electric fan set up I pulled from a windstar / freestar, and I am struggling in my head with how this is going to work out. Iím hoping someone can point me in the right direction...
I'd leave the clutch fan in there...
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 3:58 AM
Tech Team

If you are unsure about what size wire to use etc I would go with a kit like this.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0014/overview/
Kirk's67SS and Proc like this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 8:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle 1969 View Post
If you are unsure about what size wire to use etc I would go with a kit like this.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0014/overview/

Thanks. I had put this project to the side to get some in home work (aka honey do) done. Now that hardwood floor is down, it is back to wrapping this up. I think I am going to get that kit. I bought the replacement wiring kit for the same year windstar (same as the fans) which looks similar but the gauge just seems so small.

FWIW, Iím going electric because a standard clutch fan canít keep up with the heat this mildly modified 454 keeps trapped under the hood in traffic. Iím not going through another season sweating over the temp gauge while trying to get into the big cruise event.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 12:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

FWIW, I swapped back to the clutch fan because the Windstar fans made it run about 15 degrees hotter with my small block. I went from 180į to 195į. Back to back, the stock fan cooled better. I swapped to the electric fans to free up some power, but didn't think it was worth the temp increase. I didn't even want to try it with the 454. Your results may vary.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 7:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

Awe, man, donít tell me that. I canít get my 454 to stay below 190 on a comfortable 75 degree day while driving, and it creeps up to 200 if I sit for too long. Forget the combination of a warm day and a line of traffic.. I start sweating bullets as I watch the gauge creep up.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 8:24 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

I'm not sure what cfm the windstar fans pull, so can't really help with your decision on using them.

As stated above, keep the relays close to the fans. You really want to mount them so that the wiring run between the battery, relay, fan is as short as possible. I'm not saying string them up so you can play banjo on the wires, but don't route the wire around the backside of your firewall and keep a 5ft long loop in case you want to move it later. They're fans, simple, ignorant, electric motors, nothing fancy. Good battery connection, 12ga wire, GOOD GROUND path, you're golden.

Make sure your battery to frame / frame to engine grounds are good.

My car is a complete hack, so keep that in mind. I have my battery in the trunk, main battery cable going to fuse box under the dash. I used 2 12 ga FACTORY 1964 wires going through the FACTORY fuse block/firewall harness to feed my relays for my fans. As you saw in the other thread I have my fans wired up with 3 relays the same way 98-02 Z28s are wired up. Fans come on low (series) when getting warm, when fans go high they go parallel. I love this setup, the fans rarely ever kick on high and you can't hear them running on low.

As many friends as I have come over and ask for wiring help I usually keep relays around the garage. These aren't the best, but they work, and what I normally use:

Not too proud of how the wiring looks, but here's my setup. Both of the power wires come in to the horn relay, used that as a junction block. Power feeds the 3 cheap, amazon/chinese relays, then 12 ga wires go out to the fans. I mounted the relays close together on a piece of 1x1/4" aluminum and bolted it to the radiator. You can use blue crimp female spades (get insulated!!) or get relay harnesses. I used the harnesses that came with the relays. They're "gold" coated so shouldn't corrode over time. Time will tell though. These fans flow so much air the first time I cut them on high they sucked so much junk out of the radiator fins I had to step away from the engine bay and clear my eyes.

vortec710 and Proc like this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Where are you planning on putting the temp switch? What temp does it switch on and off?

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer
'68 Malibu GM 383 700R4
This is how we roll:
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

I did this on my 68/454 last year and it was the best thing i've ever done to one of my classics. wish i had done it to my 66 442 before the chevelle!

Take a look at my build thread in my signature, the posts about the fan project were last year around april/may. I've got full pics of my install, brackts, and wiring.

I used dual 30 amp relays and wires from spahl (awesome stuff btw) with a single temp switch that mounts in the thermostat housing.

I also wired in a switch under the dash so i could kick them on manually in the event the thermoswitch ddin't work, but so far no issues.

I have a 40 mile drive to work, and can get stuck in traffic at either end of the commute crawling 15+ mins... so the electric fans are a necessity for me.

My setup kicks on at 195 degrees and turns off at 175.
Kirk's67SS and Proc like this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 5:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Is your Rad good ?

I basically did the same as Rambo
" I used dual 30 amp relays and wires from spahl (awesome stuff btw) with a single temp switch that mounts in the thermostat housing.
I also wired in a switch under the dash so i could kick them on manually in the event the thermoswitch ddin't work, but so far no issues. "

Relays are on the Rad Support on the Passengerside above where the Battery Tray is
and the Main Red Power Post for the Power from the Battery in the Trunk

First SPAL Efan is turned on at 170* by a Temp Switch in the Intake below the Thermostat

Second SPAL Efan is turned on if needed by a Toggle Switch attached under the Dash

I would never use a Probe into the Rad for Temps as it would read what the Temp is after the Coolant comes out of the Engine
which could/would read cooler than what the Coolant is in the Engine

Proc likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
Now 468/Th400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T S/R #6641 street Tires/Dress 2016/10/9
60' = 1.720
1/8 = 7.747 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.112 et / 112 mph
NEW Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in