Ignition Switch for '68 Chevelle needed. - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ignition Switch for '68 Chevelle needed.

I'm in the process of rewiring my car and want to install a new ignition switch while the dash is out. I stopped by my local Chevelle parts store but they did not have a replacement part. I also Goggled it, eBay'd it and no luck. The part number I need is GM #1116703. Any suggestions?

None of the "Replacement" parts come close to fitting snug due to the thread location. You guys are my last resort.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 11:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Re: Ignition Switch for '68 Chevelle needed.

Try this one at your local NAPA store!! https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...tForm-savedveh

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Leo. I will check with Napa.

I forgot to post photos of what I'm looking for. The dark switch (Old) is the one I need and the lighter one (New) is a supposedly direct replacement. You'll notice the threads are not in the same place which is causing all sorts of issues.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1911 View Post
Thanks Leo. I will check with Napa.

I forgot to post photos of what I'm looking for. The dark switch (Old) is the one I need and the lighter one (New) is a supposedly direct replacement. You'll notice the threads are not in the same place which is causing all sorts of issues.

Here they are.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 12:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Garage

I ordered a NOS switch from Ebay for my 68SS. The reason I did that was because the new replacement switch I ordered shorted immediately (thank God for a fusible link). The switch was made in Mexico. I can't remember what I paid for the NOS switch but I think it was around $70.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 1:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbonn80 View Post
I ordered a NOS switch from Ebay for my 68SS. The reason I did that was because the new replacement switch I ordered shorted immediately (thank God for a fusible link). The switch was made in Mexico. I can't remember what I paid for the NOS switch but I think it was around $70.
Thanks Bill,
I would love to find one on eBay. Let me know if you see GM #GM 1116703. Thanks!

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 1:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Thanks Bill,
I would love to find one on eBay. Let me know if you see GM #GM 1116703. Thanks!

Are you sure that is the correct number? I don't have my assembly manual in front of me but for my 68SS it is a different number(1116694, D1426A). I just saw one on Ebay for $30 that is supposedly NOS.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 8:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:

Here they are.
There is a number on switches that is usually either stamped in, or cast in, in a small oval.

What is that number on your original?

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 10:00 AM
Team Member
Bill

Owning a 68 I must admit I'm am very confused about this discussion. I ordered a new ignition bezel, ac delco ignition switch and new wiring harness and no one or seller mentioned there were two types in 68. I can see from your picture the harness plug itself would be different and M&H did not ask me what type I had. Everything was plug and play. What am i missing?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
There is a number on switches that is usually either stamped in, or cast in, in a small oval.

What is that number on your original?
There are two sets of stampings. They are 703 on one side and 13 on the other side.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
Owning a 68 I must admit I'm am very confused about this discussion. I ordered a new ignition bezel, ac delco ignition switch and new wiring harness and no one or seller mentioned there were two types in 68. I can see from your picture the harness plug itself would be different and M&H did not ask me what type I had. Everything was plug and play. What am i missing?
Bill,
Actually the harness part is fine. It plugs right in. The problem is at the threads. The new one bottoms out too soon but acts as if it's not completely seated.. This causes the ignition to still be loose while completely seated.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Did your original work? I have a used one for sale, if that would help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:

There are two sets of stampings. They are 703 on one side and 13 on the other side.

There seems to be a few inconsistencies between my GM/Chevrolet/Delco parts books, even in the ones I have that were printed in 1968. One catalogue shows 1116694/D1426A, and the other shows 1116703/D1400A. Both are Delco/GM parts books and both were printed in 1968. My Chevrolet parts books show the 1116694 being correct, but that's the one that doesn't work for you. If the 703 works, go with that one. You can also search ebay for Delco part number D1400A, that's the short number for 1116703. Doesn't do you much good, but a new D1400A sold on ebay a couple of days ago for 24.95, and it matched your picture exactly. Search using both numbers, because the one that just sold didn't have the long number listed, just the short one. Good luck.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
Did your original work? I have a used one for sale, if that would help.
Thanks Dan. Yes my original still works, but since the dash was off and all the other wiring is new, I figured now was a good time to change it. I'm actually glad I found this out now instead of waiting till I actually needed one. You never know, I just may DM you in the future.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbonn80 View Post
Are you sure that is the correct number? I don't have my assembly manual in front of me but for my 68SS it is a different number(1116694, D1426A). I just saw one on Ebay for $30 that is supposedly NOS.
I'm sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in