Ignition Switch for '68 Chevelle needed. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: Ignition Switch for '68 Chevelle needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
There seems to be a few inconsistencies between my GM/Chevrolet/Delco parts books, even in the ones I have that were printed in 1968. One catalogue shows 1116694/D1426A, and the other shows 1116703/D1400A. Both are Delco/GM parts books and both were printed in 1968. My Chevrolet parts books show the 1116694 being correct, but that's the one that doesn't work for you. If the 703 works, go with that one. You can also search ebay for Delco part number D1400A, that's the short number for 1116703. Doesn't do you much good, but a new D1400A sold on ebay a couple of days ago for 24.95, and it matched your picture exactly. Search using both numbers, because the one that just sold didn't have the long number listed, just the short one. Good luck.
THANK YOU!!!! This gives me hope.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1911 View Post
Thanks Dan. Yes my original still works, but since the dash was off and all the other wiring is new, I figured now was a good time to change it. I'm actually glad I found this out now instead of waiting till I actually needed one. You never know, I just may DM you in the future.

That post sure brings back memories. I changed out my ignition switch just because I had the instrument bezel out and the original switch was going on 50 years old. Once it was back in the new switch shorted out so installed the old original back in the bezel. I changed it with the bezel installed which actually wasn't that hard. The NOS I ordered off Ebay is still not installed but I think it is getting installed soon but now I know I can pull the front bucket seat and get to it.

I hope you find your switch and if I see one I'll let you know.

Bill B.
davewho1 and frank1911 like this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 1:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Someone else on here recently had the exact same problem. Lemme see if I can dig up that thread, I can't remember the resolution.
frank1911 likes this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer
'68 Malibu GM 383 700R4
This is how we roll:
It's still a Family affair!

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 7:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage

RE the two switches in the pix: The new one is correct for a '68. Can't say that the old one was never used in a '68.

Greg

My 68 El Camino Malibu and my 68 El Camino SS. In 1968 I got my 1st 66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my 2nd. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 9:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Garage

I just checked my assembly manual and the only call out I can see for a 68 ignition switch is 1116694. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just wonder if the ignition switch you took out is not correct. If it was me and based on the assembly manual I think I'd get a 694 switch. And based on my experience with an after market switch, I'd pay a few dollars more and get NOS. Hope this is helpful for you.

Bill B.
frank1911 likes this.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 9:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbonn80 View Post
I just checked my assembly manual and the only call out I can see for a 68 ignition switch is 1116694. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just wonder if the ignition switch you took out is not correct. If it was me and based on the assembly manual I think I'd get a 694 switch. And based on my experience with an after market switch, I'd pay a few dollars more and get NOS. Hope this is helpful for you.

Bill B.
Hi Bill
It is the factory switch (1 owner car). After some research it would appear the Auto Workers Union went on strike against GM back in 1968. It's my understanding it is not uncommon to find other model GM vehicle parts on different models (e.g. Pontiac seats in a Chevy car, etc.). It does appear GM used both style ignitions in '68. Bummer for me.

My search will continue and with the community's help, I'm confident I will find one that works for me. Thank you,
Frank

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 2:02 AM
Tech Team

Hi Frank I do remember back away"s that you did have to match your metal insert that screws into the new chrome plastic threaded bezel. I did not have to do to do that and I just removed my old metal insert that screwed into my old plastic chrome bezel (fine threaded) and threaded into my new threaded ignition chrome surround. I was good to go after that and nothing is loose and the ignition key is oriented correctly using a new white ignition switch. In either case I think you need the correct metal insert for your ignition bezel allowing you to use the new new switches making your life easier although I have never had to replace an ignition switch over the years. Best of luck!
frank1911 likes this.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 3:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
Hi Frank I do remember back away"s that you did have to match your metal insert that screws into the new chrome plastic threaded bezel. I did not have to do to do that and I just removed my old metal insert that screwed into my old plastic chrome bezel (fine threaded) and threaded into my new threaded ignition chrome surround. I was good to go after that and nothing is loose and the ignition key is oriented correctly using a new white ignition switch. In either case I think you need the correct metal insert for your ignition bezel allowing you to use the new new switches making your life easier although I have never had to replace an ignition switch over the years. Best of luck!
I will definitely take a look at my bezel and compare it to a new one. That just may make the difference. Thanks Bill.

LeoP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in