66 convertible wiring issues - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 8:15 PM Thread Starter
Steve

66 convertible wiring issues

Ok, I may be a bit long winded here to explain what's going on. I had my trunk pan and rear tail piece replaced. It is all primed from the factory. I also had a steering column installed while it was there.

After the repair I got it back without the pigtails attached. I think someone slammed the trunk while the lights were hanging out over the sides. I also had put in a separate hazard flasher as the original column didn't have one.

So I took out the hazard flasher and used the one in the column. Now I have all but the front passenger turn signal working. Not real concerned at this point as I am concentrating on the rear first.

I have managed to get the rear lights working and the rear flasher working. However, when the tail lights are lit the flashers are dim. I think its a faulty ground. My question is if the ground is good on the tail lights why isn't it good for the turn signals? If it is the ground I tried to sand the area where the housings mount. Hope to get the housings grounded to the tail piece.

Banging my head trying to get them grounded. They are dull on both sides and wonder why the tail lamps are grounded but not the turn signals.

I was thinking of running a ground wire to the battery and touching it to the housing or bulb socket to see if that helps. Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 19, 9:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Re: 66 convertible wiring issues

66 did not have the flasher for hazards, but it's easy to add and it sounds like you have.
Did you replace the entire rear harness?
Grounds in these cars are finicky, the tailights are connected to the quarter extensions which are connected to body. Are those bolts clean and grounded?

You are doing it correctly, keep plugging away at it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in