Fixing 68' SS Chevelle clock - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Art
  • 1 Post By DN
  • 3 Post By NW68SSBBC

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 6:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage
Fixing 68' SS Chevelle clock

Hello,I posted this in the restoration section, but it may belong in there. Anyway, my clock doesn't work on my 68' SS chevelle. Assuming the wiring is ok, is there anything I need to know about trouble shooting it? Does it get power all the time? Can I hook up 12V directly to it to check it? and lastly, can they be rebuilt if needed?

Thanks, Joe

"... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 6:54 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Re: Fixing 68' SS Chevelle clock

I hate to say "try a search", but seriously try a search, using "Coppertop" as the user & "clock" as the keyword. He knows his stuff and isn't afraid to share it.

"The more you know,
the more you realize you don't know." - Dad

My Showroom
TC Gold #120
My completely stock 67 Malibu Sport Coupe 6 cyl
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 7:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

There is a set of points in the clock.

Due to the way its wired, it gets power all the time.

When your battery gets low, the contacts dont move inside the clock and wind up getting ruined. Same way a set of points get ruined in your old point distributor.

You may be able to clean them and get it to work again.

To stop this from happening in the future, add a switch somewhere to the clock wiring that you shut off if your cars going to sit awhile.

1969 chevelle
New oil is cheaper than new parts

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 7:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Oh also, there was a guy, I think his name was gauge tweaker, he still had parts to repair your original.

I wont do quartz.

1969 chevelle
New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 9:32 PM
Art
Tech Team
Art

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it'll help you.

I only know what I experienced with the original clock from my 71 Chevelle. I took it to the best clock repair in town, they checked for continuity of the electrical connection and found that it was open. They refused to look at it beyond that. I decided that it couldn't get any worse so I took shot at it. I found a point distributer file and cleaned and polished the contacts. This didn't help at all. I then took a magnifying glass and saw a broken wire on the coil. I carefully unwound the coil one turn using tweezers. Carefully scraped the varnish off the end with an exacto knife and soldered it to the electrical connection, discarding the broken piece of wire. The clock would at least run a little when connected to 12 volts. It just so happened that a guy whose wife worked in our office repaired clocks as a hobby. He agreed to look at it, said it only need some lubricant. He remove the clock hands and face. He had a bottle of lube with what looked like a needle on it. He lubed a couple of spots, reassembled and tested it. It worked great but didn't keep time very well. He told me that the clock would self correct if I'd reset it every so often. In other words, If I set it forward to correct the time it would speed up a little each time. I tried it on the bench for several week with nothing more than a battery charger connected and reset it every time I noticed the time wasn't right. After I did this a few times it kept perfect time.

This was in the mid 90's and was still working fine the day I replaced it with a quartz clock last year.
davewho1 likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 19, 6:54 AM
DN
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

A quartz conversion is pretty simple. Get a kit and you can keep original clock. Only guts change.
blm likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 19, 7:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

To explain it a little more, the original clock is a mechanical wind up clock, not electric. BUT when it winds down a bit, a set of contacts touch and complete circuit to the electromagnet. When that energizes, it pulls a magnet which winds the clock (1/3 a turn or so, I forget) and opens the contact. When working it is a tick,tick clock like any wind up clock, and every so often, you will hear a "click" when it winds a bit.
From my limited experience, 2 of them mentioned problems are likely. Dirty contacts, or burnt coil. And also as described, as you set the clock forward or reverse, it alters the speed in that direction to make it self adjusting in a way.
If you get one running, try to set the clock in one continuous turning of the knob so you don't affect the speed as much.
If you pull it out, the first thing to do is look at the little latch thingy on the gear wind thingy and the contacts. If they are closed, push them open and wind the clock maybe turn. Then give the tick wheel thingy a nudge and see if it spins back and forth. If it looks like it is running, wait till it stops and do that again a few times. If it runs OK, then figure out why the electric winding part doesn't work. A 9v battery will keep one running for a long time.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 19, 6:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I hate to say "try a search", but seriously try a search, using "Coppertop" as the user & "clock" as the keyword. He knows his stuff and isn't afraid to share it.
I understand what you mean about saying try a search, I've read new posts asking a question that someone answered two weeks before and I get it. I did try though, I typed in "clock troubleshooting" with no meaningful results.

But now I know to check Coppertop too. I appreciate the tip !
Thanks, Joe

"... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 19, 6:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I will be able to dig into it now knowing what to look for.

Joe

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 9:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

I am happy to report that I got the clock running after reading the replies and a couple YouTube videos I figured I would take it apart and see what I could find. The points were shot and there are also contacts areas near the coil and brass posts that needed cleaning I got a set of points from a Tecumseh engine and took the contacts off of them and fit them as best I could then soldered them on. Its not easy getting them lined up together and I didn't get them perfectly aligned, but compared to the old ones the contact area is at least double. Hit with power and voila, they work perfectly!

Thanks for the help
Joe
blm, Pioneer4x4 and 68-13427 like this.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 6:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Excellent, how often do the points engage and wind the clock?

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 8:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Excellent, how often do the points engage and wind the clock?
It takes about 45 seconds to wind down and reset. It will probably do a little more, the more it ran the better it worked. I did lube it up

What may do is clean off the windings with some alcohol and put some more epoxy on them to help add some strength to the delicate windings/wiring

Thanks Joe

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

redline gages in tennessee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in