Camaro wiper motor w/park - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By fasst450
  • 1 Post By B52bombardier1

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 19, 9:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

Camaro wiper motor w/park

I have a 72 El Camino with factory wiper system with park. While I have the dash apart for an ls swap, I'd like to add intermittent wipers. I just need to verify the information I've gathered from a few hours worth of search.
If i pick up an 80-81 camaro wiper motor and a swtich from either that same car or an 80's chevy truck, it's just a matter of wiring it up correct?

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 8:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

Re: Camaro wiper motor w/park

I found the answer on ElCaminocental. For anyone in the future, an 80-81 camaro wiper motor with the camaro switch(hard to find) or ds-414 wiper switch used on warly 80s gm trucks

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

2 questions
Red circle: I think the delay switch will be wired in between these 2 red wires?
Blue circle: original El Camino pump has 2 wires the camaro pump has 3, what am I wiring to this third vertical terminal?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 19, 8:29 PM
Gold Member
Joe

I donít have the time to type everything out, but hereís the basics for now:

You canít use the truck style switch. This was used in conjunction with a standalone intermittent module.

The wiper motor you pictured is a unit set up for Multiplex wiper system first introduced in 1980 which needs the ďhard to find switchĒ.

The switch has 4 terminals on the back (ground, activation, low/high activation and wash activation). In addition, the switch contains a pigtail wire. This is the Multiplex signal wire that eventually connects underhood to the 3rd terminal under the typical washer pump terminals.

Under the washer pump cover is the control board which also contains the sweep switch and wash override switch contacts. Also under the cover is the motor control relay (thatís what those mysterious wires are just flopping outside of your motor.

You have to match your equipment carefully, you canít mix and match.

GM introduced ďpulse wipersĒ (intermittent) in 1973. Then the modified pulse was introduced 2 years later, then came the Multiplex system (which is the best of the vintage intermittent systems).

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 1:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

Thank you for that information it gives a little more clarity. I'm going to send the truck switch back. I found the module you're talking about and it's not cheap. i think I have an incorrect washer pump because there is no way to connect the wires to the pulse circuit. So my plan for now is send the truck switch back and find the correct washer pump and keep my eyes out on ebay for the camaro switch. Hopefully I'm on track?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 1:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

Plan b is send the motor back too and get an El camino motor and one of those delay switches off eBay.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 9:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

I'm getting my butt kicked on this. I picked up a different washer pump because the one I originally bought. did not include the pulse relay inside. I should be good to go there. I jumped the gun on a 79 Camaro switch off ebay but the 79 specifically only works with a 79 motor which isn't available anymore. The 79 switch has a 3 wire pigtail and is not compatible with the 80-81 single wire system. Hopefully they can cancel my order. I also grabbed a 78-83 c10 switch and module off ebay because it was cheap. With this module, the squarebody guys can use their original 2 speed motor and just plug in the switch and module to their original harness to gain pulse wipers. I'm wondering if this would be possible to do this with a little wiring. Im going to keep the Camaro motor so I can retain some options and run it as 2 speed worst case. GM really couldn't get the delay wiper thing figured out in the late 70s early 80s eh?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 11:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

Sorry Neil this doesn't help you but it's good info for others following along.

This company offers intermittent wiper controllers for cars without parking wipers (and a few other neat items):
Revolution Electronics - Modern Technology for Your Classic Car

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 8:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

After 4 hours of research last night I have the best solution I could come up with. I'm sending the Camaro motor back and selling the truck module/switch. I had found this on eBay and I think it's the way to go. It works with park wipers and wires into the low speed circuit in order to retain my El Camino switch.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F221547758554

paul bell and B52bombardier1 like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 8:45 AM
Tech Team
Rick

I'm going to save this as a Saved Item in my EBay profile and I will be interested to see how this works for you.

Where are you going to mount the control box?

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
fasst450 likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in