Adding a 3rd Brake Light to a '67 - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 9:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Adding a 3rd Brake Light to a '67

Yes, the third brake light will flash when the four way flashers are being used.

I don't see how this is a problem. It flashes with the four ways, so what? How often does anybody use their four way flashers? If I was stuck on the side of a highway, I'd WANT more lights flashing.

If it really bothers you, simply drop a diode in the wire feeding to the turn signal switch, "problem" solved, the third brake light won't flash with the four way flashers.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 10:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

I've finally settled on a light. The Alpena HexFire 77118. It's six high output LEDs in a nice housing about six inches wide. It draws 18 watts.

Two sheets of red lighting gel makes it perfect.

I have Neo magnets for the base to make it removable.

https://www.alpena.ca/Product.aspx?id=1226&webcat=12
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHMSL.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	585422  

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #63 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 10:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Garage

Way back in 2003 I added a high-mount third brake light to the rear window of my 1970 Chevelle by tapping the white wire at the brake pedal light switch, and extending this wire to the third brake light. The LED strip light simply runs to a ground nearby. The light illuminates with brakes and hazards but not with turn signals. I feel safer that big rigs and high-riding trucks and SUVs will see my brake lights and avoid crumpling my rear end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chev brake light.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	585424  
paul bell likes this.

-Frank
1970 Chevelle Malibu, one family owner
355 SBC, XE262H cam, Performer RPM heads, MSD HEI, TH200-4R trans, 3.55:1 Posi, digital gauges

post #64 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 7:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
Paul,

What your missing here is the backfeed issue.

Reread my original posts.

I never said your way wouldnít work.

What you failed to realize from the start was the flashing third brake lamp during hazards operation when you wire it your way with a stock switch.

To each his own, you can do what you want, but I stated the facts an am correct. If you want your third brake lamp to be compliant like a modern car, you simply canít wire it like you stated. If you just want it to work in the most simple form, then yes, you can just splice into the factory wiring. Case closed .

Joe, please tell me which switch to use to prevent the third brake light from flashing with the emergency flashers.

post #65 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 8:28 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
I've finally settled on a light. The Alpena HexFire 77118. It's six high output LEDs in a nice housing about six inches wide. It draws 18 watts.

Two sheets of red lighting gel makes it perfect.

I have Neo magnets for the base to make it removable.

https://www.alpena.ca/Product.aspx?id=1226&webcat=12
Hey Paul, is this light going inside on the package tray? What is the red lighting gel too? THis looks good but a tad pricey. Velcro inside might be an alternative to outside.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #66 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 8:30 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu70 View Post
Way back in 2003 I added a high-mount third brake light to the rear window of my 1970 Chevelle by tapping the white wire at the brake pedal light switch, and extending this wire to the third brake light. The LED strip light simply runs to a ground nearby. The light illuminates with brakes and hazards but not with turn signals. I feel safer that big rigs and high-riding trucks and SUVs will see my brake lights and avoid crumpling my rear end.
Hey Frank,
Do you remember what light you used? THis one looks good. What kind of mounting did you do up at the top of the window?

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #67 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 9:05 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
Hey Paul, is this light going inside on the package tray? What is the red lighting gel too? THis looks good but a tad pricey. Velcro inside might be an alternative to outside.

It'll be mounted outside the rear window and removable.

I'm adding a wider plate to the mounting bracket and putting Neo magnet strips on it and covering it with a soft material like a thin rubber. When I want to use it, I'll stick it to the painted strip between the trunk lid opening and the vinyl top molding. A thin wire will go into the trunk to a plug.

I found the light for $20 with shipping but it generally runs from $33 to $40 ($40 at AutoZone). It's the fourth LED light I bought and the only one that has enough brightness to my liking when covered with the red filter.

For the gel, search for "Lighting Filter Gel Sheets". I bought this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Colors-L...72.m2749.l2649

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #68 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 9:40 AM
Senior Tech Team

This simple circuit will eliminate the four way flasher "feedback" to the third brake light. This allows the third brake light to work when you step on the brake pedal and NOT flash when you use the four way flashers.

1970~1972 wiring colors shown, earlier cars may use the same colors, confirm first.

Diodes of all sizes are easily found on Ebay. I suggest 30 amp total current diode capability. A single 30 amp diode, if you can find one, will suffice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CHMSL diode.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	585452  

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #69 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 19, 2:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Garage

boyd66k20, the brake light I used was a Pilot LED grill lights CZ-153R ($30) as a pair of red LED strips mounted end-to-end. Similar current product is the Pilot CZ-3149W. The mounting brackets are thin sheet metal bent into a squared Z shape. The top of the bracket has one screw through it upward into the metal barbed strip forward of the rear window that attaches the headliner. One bracket under each end of the light strip held with double-stick foam tape. The two wires go up above the headliner down to the sail panel and into the trunk for power and ground.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chev third brake light2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	585534  
boyd66k20 and paul bell like this.

-Frank
355 SBC, XE262H cam, Performer RPM heads, MSD HEI, TH200-4R trans, 3.55:1 Posi, digital gauges
post #70 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 19, 9:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu70 View Post
boyd66k20, the brake light I used was a Pilot LED grill lights CZ-153R ($30) as a pair of red LED strips mounted end-to-end. Similar current product is the Pilot CZ-3149W. The mounting brackets are thin sheet metal bent into a squared Z shape. The top of the bracket has one screw through it upward into the metal barbed strip forward of the rear window that attaches the headliner. One bracket under each end of the light strip held with double-stick foam tape. The two wires go up above the headliner down to the sail panel and into the trunk for power and ground.

What did you connect the wires to? What flasher are you using?

post #71 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 19, 7:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Reading back in Malibu70's post above, he says he connected to the WHITE wire, which I thought was wrong.

It seems that I got my colors mixed up. Maybe I got a head rush laying under my dashboard? My bad... And my apologies!

Here is the corrected wiring:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CHMSL diode.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	585562  

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #72 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 19, 8:11 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The arrow is pointing the wrong way on the orange wire.
post #73 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 19, 8:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The arrow is pointing the wrong way on the orange wire.

DOH! Too late to fix it, edit period is expired.

I suppose it points opposite of the way them electrons wanna flow but I think everybody gets the idea-we're a pretty clever group.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #74 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 19, 9:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Garage

Rickles, the white wire at the brake light switch was tapped and extended with 18g wire under the dash, behind the sill plate, all the way back into the trunk to an insulated terminal. The LED brake light at the rear window has two wires above the headliner, behind the sail panel, down into the trunk. The power wire connects at the terminal. The ground wire attaches to a sheet metal ground behind the seat.
The flasher unit for the turn signals is a common EL12 electronic flasher ($12). The standard thermal flasher would not make turn signals work when 1157 brake lights were replaced with LED bulbs. The flasher on the fuse panel is the hazard flasher, which on my ride is an electronic 536/552-12 ($6).
The brake light bracket I made from aluminum, and designed it to be simple and removable with little damage to the car interior. The red LEDs are directed at the rear window without a diffusing lens.
I hope this information helps.
paul bell likes this.

-Frank
post #75 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 19, 9:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Garage

I read through Joe's earlier response about Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and how they specify high-mount/third brake lights. The closest match I could find is Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. The standard applies to vehicles made after year 2000. Can anyone find a rule that states the high-mount brake light cannot flash with activation of the hazard switch?

For comparison, the hazard switch on all my modern vehicles flashes their turn signals, not their brake lights.

-Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in