Adding a 3rd Brake Light to a '67 - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 92 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage
Re: Adding a 3rd Brake Light to a '67

Paul, when you connected to the orange wire at the brake light switch, is that the regular pre-third light switch?

The Monte light takes an 1156 incandescent bulb, but you can substitute an 1156 type LED bulb. I've heard some are brighter than incandescent and some aren't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 92 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 2:41 PM
Gold Member
Joe

You have to use the more modern switch as I originally stated, otherwise you will get a flashing 3rd brake lamp when hazard flashers are activated. While some may like this, this is actually against Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standardsóand that is why switches were redesigned with the extra terminals when 3rd lamps (CHMSLís (center high mounted stop lamps) were first introduced.

You splice into the orange wire at the original connector and run your new wire to one side of the extra contacts on the new switch. The other side of the extra contacts go out to your 3rd brake lamp. For extra protection, you can install a fuse between your factory orange wire and the new contact connection.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #48 of 92 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 3:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Thanks, Joe, that clears everything up.

post #49 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 4:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

OK, please bare with me, guys, I'm not much on electrical stuff. I picked up a new Standard SLS110 stop light switch which is for an '86 Monte w/o cruise. There are two pairs of terminals; let's call one pair A and B and the other pair 1 and 2. With my ohm meter and the button depressed, I get continuity between A and B but not between 1 and 2. With the button released, no continuity between A and B but continuity between 1 and 2. It doesn't matter whether the button is depressed or not, I get no continuity between A and 1, A and 2, B and 1, or B and 2. I don't have my Chevelle here to try anything (the 3rd Brake Light isn't in there yet anyway).

Am I missing something? Is this the way its supposed to work? And if so, how would I wire it? I assume the two wires on the '67 are Hot and to the brake lights. So for the 3rd setup, is it Hot to (say) A and B to regular brake lights, then jump A to (say) 1, and 2 to the third brake light?

I know this is probably really simple for most of you guys and I thought I had it all worked out until it tested the continuity.

post #50 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 4:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickles View Post
OK, please bare with me, guys, I'm not much on electrical stuff. I picked up a new Standard SLS110 stop light switch which is for an '86 Monte w/o cruise. There are two pairs of terminals; let's call one pair A and B and the other pair 1 and 2. With my ohm meter and the button depressed, I get continuity between A and B but not between 1 and 2. With the button released, no continuity between A and B but continuity between 1 and 2. It doesn't matter whether the button is depressed or not, I get no continuity between A and 1, A and 2, B and 1, or B and 2. I don't have my Chevelle here to try anything (the 3rd Brake Light isn't in there yet anyway).

Am I missing something? Is this the way its supposed to work? And if so, how would I wire it? I assume the two wires on the '67 are Hot and to the brake lights. So for the 3rd setup, is it Hot to (say) A and B to regular brake lights, then jump A to (say) 1, and 2 to the third brake light?

I know this is probably really simple for most of you guys and I thought I had it all worked out until it tested the continuity.

SOunds like maybe the pair A-B is for Cruise Control disconnect.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #51 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 5:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Correct, that switch is for cruise control.

Rick, I'm not sure of the wiring colors on a 1967 car.

Take a test light and ground one end. The other end, touch to one terminal on the brake light switch while it's connected. If the test light lights up, that's the feed to the switch. The other terminal should be dead until you depress the brake pedal. Run a wire from THAT terminal (or wire attached to it) to your third break light.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #52 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 5:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Rockauto says this is without Cruise, the AC Delco looks the same w/o cruise and the ones with cruise are 4 terminal also, but without a plastic post between two of the terminals.

Paul, won't that have the 3rd flashing with the 4-ways? That's why I got the '86 Monte switch.

Top is W/O Cruise, the one I got.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W-O   SLS-110photo primary__ra_p.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	585394   Click image for larger version

Name:	WITH   SLS-159photo primary__ra_p.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	585396  

Last edited by Rickles; Feb 4th, 19 at 5:47 PM.
post #53 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 5:30 PM
Senior Tech Team

Both of those are for brakes and cruise. One pair of contacts are normally open, the other pair normally closed.

For cruise control, a interruption in the power feed shuts it off.

You don't need it, the standard brake switch is all you need.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #54 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 6:19 PM
Gold Member
Joe

There is indeed an issue with the parts listings.

Locally, I asked for a non-cruise Standard brand switch. SLS110 is what was presented to me with the tell-tale divider plastic between the second set of contacts. WRONG!

The ďdividerĒ switch is not correct for what you want. You donít have cruise.

Paul, why do you keep telling him to use a regular switch? Iíve already explained this.

post #55 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 6:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

I guess I'll just keep what's in there then. I can't remember the last time I even used 4-ways on a car. Thanks, fellas.

post #56 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 7:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
Paul, why do you keep telling him to use a regular switch? Iíve already explained this.

In my post # 45 above ( https://www.chevelles.com/forums/11016388-post45.html ) I said my test showed the standard switch provides power for a third brake light without issue. When you step on the brake pedal, it provides power from the brake light switch to the brake lights BEFORE it goes through the turn signal switch in the steering column.

It's really very simple. Splice into the correct wire. Run it to the third brake light. No special switch needed. And the double pole switch for cars with cruise control has the extra terminals in the wrong mode to send brake light power. They OPEN when you step onto the brake pedal.

I'll take pictures tomorrow.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #57 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 8:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
There is indeed an issue with the parts listings.

Locally, I asked for a non-cruise Standard brand switch. SLS110 is what was presented to me with the tell-tale divider plastic between the second set of contacts. WRONG!

The ďdividerĒ switch is not correct for what you want. You donít have cruise.

Joe, what part number (Standard brand?) did you end up with that worked? Could it be SLS159?
post #58 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 9:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Standard brake light switch. Two wire connector plugs in. One wire is hot, the other wire goes to the turn signal switch. The switch contacts are OPEN if you're NOT stepping on the brake pedal. The switch contacts CLOSE sending voltage to the tail lights through the turn signal switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C990048-lrg.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	585404  

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #59 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 9:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

Brake light switch + cruise control switch. The same plug used for the brake lights on the standard switch goes on the terminals closer together to each other. The plug latches in just like the standard brake light switch.

Pertaining to the brake lights, this switch functions exactly as a standard brake light switch.

The other pair of terminals which are set wider apart are for the cruise control and it's contacts are CLOSED when you're NOT stepping on the brake pedal. Step on the pedal and the switch contacts open. This cannot be used for any kind of brake lights.
Attached Images

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #60 of 92 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 9:38 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Paul,

What your missing here is the backfeed issue.

Reread my original posts.

I never said your way wouldnít work.

What you failed to realize from the start was the flashing third brake lamp during hazards operation when you wire it your way with a stock switch.

To each his own, you can do what you want, but I stated the facts an am correct. If you want your third brake lamp to be compliant like a modern car, you simply canít wire it like you stated. If you just want it to work in the most simple form, then yes, you can just splice into the factory wiring. Case closed .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in