69 Instrument Bulb Sockets/ LED - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Robinls5
  • 1 Post By blm
  • 1 Post By lg1969
  • 1 Post By blm
  • 1 Post By lg1969

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 5:40 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
69 Instrument Bulb Sockets/ LED

I am dealing with removing my instrument bezel for I think the 4th time in the last 6 years. I have also decided to change the 1895 bulbs over to LEDs.
Two problems I am dealing with is the plastic bulb sockets, which are AAW replacement sockets, do not stay engaged very well into the holes on the back of the guages and also don't hold the LED bulbs in the socket very well at all. When installing some of the LEDs are becoming dislodged and fall into the guages. As a matter of fact it is not just the LED bulbs that become dislodged. I found some 1895 bulbs inside the guages as well.
The removal and replacement of the instrument bezel in a 69 is a real pain and I plan on this being the last time I have to do this task.
Have done some research and only upgrade bulb socket I could find mention of was a Cole Hersee #2506-bx. These are metal, 2 wire sockets. Has anyone used these sockets or familiar with a better performing bulb socket.

https://www.finditparts.com/products...UaAkvuEALw_wcB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 9:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: 69 Instrument Bulb Sockets/ LED

I see a potential problem in redoing your dash using the two wire sockets -- the wiring harness you'll need to fabricate so the second wires can be grounded seems problematical (if anything can go wrong, it will).

Just sayin'.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Well I ordered several of the 2506bx bulb sockets. Think being metal/steel and possibly a little deeper that they will hold the bulb better. One problem I believe with the plastic socket is as soon as it gets any pressure it distorts and releases the bulb. Also the prongs on the 2506bx sockets look more stout so hopefully they hold the socket into the instrument panel holes better.
All I am going to do with the ground wires is connect them in series and then attach a ring terminal to the back of the instrument panel which is already grounded. The grounded instrument panel is the vehicle which provides the one wire sockets with their grounds. Ill do a good job as there will be double the wires so I will route them well and use zip ties to keep everything tidy.
Made a promise to myself that this is the last time I am going to remove the instrument bezel for bulb/wiring failures.
If the 2506bx sockets don't work I get a different style even if I have to mechanically attach the sockets to the instrument panel.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 18, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Hey BRAD :
Just something else to throw into the mix........ I did a major lighting improvement a few years ago. Have you considered using relays on your headlights? The lighting in a chevelle is OK at best due to the fact the interior and the headlights are supplied by ONE WIRE.
At night the dash lighting is HO- HUM--OK. The one big wire that sends 12 Vts. to the inside,( dash lights, radio,heater,dome lights, cigar lighter, glove box light, tail lights) Also sends the " Left/over " 12 Vts. to the headlights.
I used two relays on the headlights with Sylvania Halogen bulbs, ( Now the H. Lights get BATT. Voltage). Also now I can use the dimmer on the H. Light switch to knock down some of the bright dash lighting.
Now the headlights are not quite, but almost " WHITE " & Bright. The dash lighting is much brighter by at least 30-40%.
I mounted my two relays on the core support, ( Ya, kant see um).
All the dimmer switch does now......... It triggers the relays.
Just ,,Something else to stir the pot !
Bob
71350SS likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 18, 1:44 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Bob,
I have the AAW classic update kit. I researched adding the relays and it was stated (by AAW tech guy) that the relays are not needed with the update kit and may not make a difference if added. I appreciate the info and if anyone can make a case against the info given by AAW, I would love to hear it. I do have the Wagner sealed beam Halogen bulbs in all 4 which is as far as I know the best one can do as far as bulbs and still maintain a somewhat stock look..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 18, 2:45 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
I see a potential problem in redoing your dash using the two wire sockets -- the wiring harness you'll need to fabricate so the second wires can be grounded seems problematical .
It will not be as difficult as it could be. Mine is the idiot light dash and not a guages dash.
Therefore I have aftermarket under dash guages for water temp and oil pressure and a column mounted tachometer.. So I know some of the indications use a temp ground at start up. The only one of those I have connected is the "Brake" indication and I will not alter that particular socket. The ones I will alter are all the guage illumination, turn signals and high beam indication and that is a total of 13 sockets. Those 13 sockets I will ground to the metal back of the instrument panel.
NickeyChevelle likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 18, 8:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Louis

Look at is this post. it is important

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...sh-lights.html
71350SS likes this.

Louis
69 Chevelle Malibu Sports Coupe Change to SS
11:1 TR406sbc/AFR227/Comp cam 280HFT/3500 RPM Stall conv./TH 350/12 bolt 410 Gears
Original owner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCG7lnacgGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OG2K2P9vQ
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 7:34 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Here is a close up of the Cole Hersee instrument sockets that I received. This is a quality piece and I believe they will solve my dash light issues.will give an update after install is complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_192644.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	582034   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_192616.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	582036  
Not2Fast likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 3:01 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Here is a pic of my rewired instrument bezel. Had to acquire a new speedo cable while I have good access to the speedo but have that now. Should be going back in tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190112_105547.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	583284  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 3:38 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969 View Post
Look at is this post. it is important

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...sh-lights.html
Louis,
I've had my dash out about ten times so I would consider myself proficient at the task and having totally rewired my 69 with an AAW classic update kit I am very familiar with the wiring. The bulb holders featured in that thread are the same holders I was having problems with. I would recommend an upgrade to the bulb holders I have featured in this thread. They are by far better quality and the important thing is they hold onto the bulb much better.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 1:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Louis,
I've had my dash out about ten times so I would consider myself proficient at the task and having totally rewired my 69 with an AAW classic update kit I am very familiar with the wiring. The bulb holders featured in that thread are the same holders I was having problems with. I would recommend an upgrade to the bulb holders I have featured in this thread. They are by far better quality and the important thing is they hold onto the bulb much better.
The bulb holder are plastic and a better quality not hard rubber like the OEM used on a 69 chevelle and it's one piece. The OEM are two piece item and they full apart.

Louis
11:1 TR406sbc/AFR227/Comp cam 280HFT/3500 RPM Stall conv./TH 350/12 bolt 410 Gears
Original owner
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 5:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Louis

Be aware the LED bulb with not dim when you turn the dimmer down. It would take at least 10(25ma) LED bulb to equal the amount of current of one (250 ma) standard filament bulb. The good thing is you will never burn out the dimmer.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

Louis
Original owner
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 9:42 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969 View Post
The bulb holder are plastic and a better quality not hard rubber like the OEM used on a 69 chevelle and it's one piece. The OEM are two piece item and they full apart.
Yes , I dealt with the original bulb holders falling apart. Then I upgraded to the plastic bulb sockets featured in your post. After repeated problems with the plastic bulb sockets dropping the bulbs inside the guages I decided to upgrade to the steel sockets. The plastic bulb holders were especially bad at holding the longer LED bulbs. So I decided to go proactive and fix this issue for the last time.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 8:41 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Ok this project is just about wrapped up. Didn't quite work out as I planned. After everything was said and done I had a short in the dash lights (gray wires) circuit. I tried to find it but don't know if it was my wiring or a defective bulb holder. So I had to remove all the dash lights and rewire with my old bulb holders. Was able to keep the Cole Hersee bulb holders for my turn signals and high beams as those are different circuits. Was able to get LED bulbs in all the dash lights.
I will say removing that instrument bezel/carrier sucks and I had it in and out about 1/2 dozen times this go around because of the short problem. Hope I never have to remove it again.
Will say the LED bulbs are about perfect. Definitely not too bright. They appear to have more of a glare in the photograph. Its a worthwhile upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190128_202526.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	584822  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 10:47 AM

had the same issues with mine plus getting older was difficult to read without my readers on lol so I went digital, intellitronix makes a replacement for under 400 bucks plus it has full gauges without have them hanging from my dash now

https://www.intellitronix.com/led-digital-gauge-panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in