Odd Battery Issue - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By B52bombardier1
  • 1 Post By paul bell

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 2:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brad

Garage
Odd Battery Issue

I've had a dead battery twice. But it was not the battery. Both times, it was the connection at the positive post to the battery cable. The first time I thoroughly cleaned the terminal and cable connector and thought it just got loose and corroded. But it happened again last night. I was at work so I did not have anything to diagnose it with, but the battery appeared totally dead. I got it jumped (a car would not work - had to call AAA), and when I got home I checked and there was a voltage drop between the battery post and connector on the cable of a few volts. Again, I pulled, cleaned, and re-connected the cable.

So, is this being caused by something else, like the alternator? Should I swap parts (alternator, battery, cable) and assume it was one of those?

Anyone ever seen this before or have a better idea?

Brad Waller
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'66 Corvette | 352/??? | 4-speed | Wilwood Brakes | 245/50/16
'67 Chevelle | ex-SS396 | 355/700R4 | F-Body Brakes | 275/40/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 3:55 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: Odd Battery Issue

The positive and negative posts are actually different sizes. When you install these new universal cables on the battery, one post will be too tight and you need to spread the clamp, and the other post is too small and the clamp closes before it makes a tight connection. Check to see if the clamps fit right.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 7:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Was the positive post corroded the 2nd time? If so, you likely have a crack in the battery case that is out gassing and causing the corrosion. A new battery is required. JMHO.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 8:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brad

Garage

Hopefully not a universal cable, as it is at least Red. It did not appear corroded, but I'm also not against walking into Costco and asking for a new battery. It's 4 years old. Anf for good measure replacing the cable.

Brad Waller

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 8:48 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...jaxhist=0&vt=0

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 12:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

If your connections are clean and you have a voltage drop of "a few volts" from the battery to the cable end, Your cables are toast.

Charge your battery and have it tested at the auto parts store if you don't have a tester. Your battery itself can actually have an internal short that causes it to lose power over time.

If your cables are bad and you try to jump from another source through the cables and get no results, there's a good chance either your cables are bad or the connections are bad. Clean all ground points. I like to attach my neg cable directly to on of the front bolts on the engine. Then I only have that one point that needs to be clean of paint and rust. If you attach to the alt bracket, all paths to ground must be free of paint and clean.

Once you get that sorted, check for parasitic draw. A lot of times you can actually see a spark when you hook up the last cable to the battery. You can also use an ohm meter to test this. Often times this is caused by a bad diode in the alternator. If you have a drain, you can disconnect your alternator and do the test, if you don't see the spark or have a draw, then the alt is the issue.

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Dec 28th, 18 at 1:19 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 7:58 AM
Tech Team
Rick

My bet is a faulty alternator that has a bad diode in the rectifier that is mentioned above. The diode fails towards ground which allows alternating current to pass through to your electrical system and drain your battery while sitting.

Use your multimeter to test for AC at the battery while the engine is running. But make sure you know how to interpret the autoranging screen on the meter because reading small amounts of AC can be tricky. A good alternator should pass no more than .02 volts AC.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Brad Waller likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 1:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brad

Garage

The few volt drop was from the battery terminal to the battery cable. Literally less than an inch, and all lead. No wire. I will need to check the alternator. It has to be 20 years old and could easily be the culprit.

Brad Waller

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 1:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

It is possible for the copper wire of the cables to be corroded inside the battery terminal.

I always coat everything with grease, it seems to reduce the corroding.
Brad Waller likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in