Bulb Replacement with LEDs? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 11:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Garage
Re: Bulb Replacement with LEDs?

I am hoping someone will submit a detailed tutorial on LED bulbs for our older cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 3:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbonn80 View Post
I am hoping someone will submit a detailed tutorial on LED bulbs for our older cars.
Bill, there's no real need for a tutorial… Just replace all the bulbs with led's and chose between putting resistors to prevent turn signal hyperflashing (which I did) or go with an electronic heavy-duty flasher and bingo!.. you're done.

Claude.
billbonn80 and lucifershammer like this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 5:23 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

There is a 3rd choice. Just put regular incandescents in the turn indicators and won't have to do anything. The turn indicators are something I woundnt care if they remained a little dimmer as they can be seen if on or not with regular bulbs. Also as I already mentioned a few people that went with led's and don't have dimming ability say that the high beam indicator is annoying with an led. This is another bulb that an incandescent does fine. The problem is all the other guages. They need led bulbs.

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 5:30 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
There is a 3rd choice. Just put regular incandescents in the turn indicators and won't have to do anything. The turn indicators are something I woundnt care if they remained a little dimmer as they can be seen if on or not with regular bulbs. Also as I already mentioned a few people that went with led's and don't have dimming ability say that the high beam indicator is annoying with an led. This is another bulb that an incandescent does fine. The problem is all the other guages. They need led bulbs.
I don't have any LEDs in the dash of the wagon. When I went with LED tails but still had regular incandescents in the front flashing was fine, but when I put LEDs in the front as well, I had incorrect flashing and had to install an electronic flasher module. Didn't matter what bulbs I had in the indicators in the gauge cluster, the tiny incandescents in the indicators don't provide enough resistance to make things work right without an electronic flasher.
Pat_McNeil likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 6:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
Bill, there's no real need for a tutorial… Just replace all the bulbs with led's and chose between putting resistors to prevent turn signal hyperflashing (which I did) or go with an electronic heavy-duty flasher and bingo!.. you're done.

Claude.
Thanks Claude. I believe I'm going to do what you did. Can you share which LED bulbs you bought. I want the best as I only want to pull the dash once for this. My Chevelle is a 68SS with the tach option. I could change all the bulbs except the tach with the dash in place since I made the gray bulb wires longer when I had the dash apart a couple of years ago.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbonn80 View Post
Thanks Claude. I believe I'm going to do what you did. Can you share which LED bulbs you bought. I want the best as I only want to pull the dash once for this. My Chevelle is a 68SS with the tach option. I could change all the bulbs except the tach with the dash in place since I made the gray bulb wires longer when I had the dash apart a couple of years ago.
Bill, I bought most of the led's from a local electronics store except for the headlamps. Make yourself a list of what you need and ask them for some correct led replacements. As for what I did for the headlamps, see more detailed explanation in the last section of my previous post (post #11).

Claude.
billbonn80 likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 10:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Test and Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
I don't have any LEDs in the dash of the wagon. When I went with LED tails but still had regular incandescents in the front flashing was fine, but when I put LEDs in the front as well, I had incorrect flashing and had to install an electronic flasher module. Didn't matter what bulbs I had in the indicators in the gauge cluster, the tiny incandescents in the indicators don't provide enough resistance to make things work right without an electronic flasher.
Hi Rich, Could I trouble you for the correct part number for the LED Flasher Module that I will need to convert my 69 Chevelle turn signal bulbs to LED. Thanks for your time.

'69 Chevelle 416" LSA TONY MAMO TFS Heads and custom Hyd roller cam.
Best 60' so far....1.34

Steve Sharp Turbo 400
Motivational Engineering 3.07 12 bolt rear.
Chris Alston's complete "Auto - Cross" coil-over suspension.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 8:41 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_McNeil View Post
Hi Rich, Could I trouble you for the correct part number for the LED Flasher Module that I will need to convert my 69 Chevelle turn signal bulbs to LED. Thanks for your time.
These are the ones I used on the wagon and my truck.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...rong,8393.html
Pat_McNeil likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

All the parts stores around me carry electronic flashers. I know most the counter people don't know much anymore, but there's enough people switching to led lights that they should know exactly what you're wanting if you ask.

Or go down the light/flasher aisle. Look for electronic flasher w/ the 2 blades at 90 degrees and you're done!

Good luck!
Pat_McNeil likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 11:26 AM
Tech Team
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
They will if you buy the correct dimmable LEDs. Not all LEDs are dimmable.
Do the LED Bulbs fit the stock Standard Bulb sockets for the dash board lights for a 1970 Chevelle SS?

Jay

1970 Chevelle SS L-34
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 10:37 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr158 View Post
Do the LED Bulbs fit the stock Standard Bulb sockets for the dash board lights for a 1970 Chevelle SS?
There are scores of LED bulbs out there that fit almost any type of automotive bulb in common use.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 399 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.