OER, Pertronix lll and M&H - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 8:07 AM
Tech Team
Al

Re: OER, Pertronix lll and M&H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
First saying that I am "Butchering" my L79 is a bit of a stretch. This number matching car is being restored as close to original with original spec cam, heads, forged 11-1 pistons, forged large journal crank and original carburetor, distributor and all bolt on as possible and I have taken extreme care to make sure it was. I too have been doing cars for 50 years and have modified ignition systems back in the 60's because points suck. They float, loose dwell quickly, get wet, wear out with crappy voltage but more important with today's fuel they misfire especially under light throttle. I have restored two 70 GS455 Stage1's, two 74 Z28's, 69 Camaro SS, 70 Vette 454 which were all corrected with high output multi-spark technologies....
OK perhaps I was a bit brash and thank you for the pictures. I do like it that there is no evidence of aftermarket parts. I see so many cars with miles and miles of bling and are an advertisement for various manufactures stuff. Your car appears to be original and some of us like that... Al
Billdini likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
Connecting diodes, or any other device, willy-nilly is likely to cause more damaged components, not fix the problem.

Billdini, I tried to PM you my filter cct, but your profile says you don't want to accept PMs?
Geoff,

I checked my profile and security settings and don't see anyplace where i have something checked off Not Accepting messages.Until now I was able to send and receive messages. Please send me an email at [email protected] until I can straighten out my profile settings. Thanks
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
First saying that I am "Butchering" my L79 is a bit of a stretch. This number matching car is being restored as close to original with original spec cam, heads, forged 11-1 pistons, forged large journal crank and original carburetor, distributor and all bolt on as possible and I have taken extreme care to make sure it was. I too have been doing cars for 50 years and have modified ignition systems back in the 60's because points suck. They float, loose dwell quickly, get wet, wear out with crappy voltage but more important with today's fuel they misfire especially under light throttle. I have restored two 70 GS455 Stage1's, two 74 Z28's, 69 Camaro SS, 70 Vette 454 which were all corrected with high output multi-spark technologies....
That engine & the underhood details are fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I'm starting a L79 build for my '64 wagon in the very near future.
Billdini likes this.

post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 3:38 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
I had a couple of UG2D diodes around and tried using them. if you think a 1n4001 will make a difference I will order some off Amazon.I did add the UG2D after the filter connected to the wire leading back to the tach and it changed nothing It seems that no matter what type of component being a resister or diode or HEI filter (Not the capcitor)I get the same symptom of 500 RPM with slight increse with increase in rpms.. I DID NOT see a difference in the waveform so UG2D DIODE that I was using was out of spec to do what you specified or was it? When I reversed the DIODE the tach was dead and it passes my Fluke diode test. Is it just the tachometer and I ended up with two bad ones? Thanks
That one is fine. It's a rectifier, which is what I thought was needed. It appears now that the clipped (rectified) pulse does not have enough energy to power the tach.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 4:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GS455 View Post
That one is fine. It's a rectifier, which is what I thought was needed. It appears now that the clipped (rectified) pulse does not have enough energy to power the tach.

Thanks again for all your responses. Having little assistance from OER or Pertronix and really wanting to use my stock 1111444 L79 distributor I did some digging and went backwards to the Pertronix ll but the LS series that few people know about. That series does not use that stupid collar that mounts under the advance spring plate but instead uses the point shaft like the Pertronix lll with matching higher impedance (.6ohm) coil. Summit says old tachs do not like multi-sparks and at this point I agree. So lets hope this fixes my issue. Fingers are crossed.....
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 9:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Hi Mr 4 speed. I just want to let you know I did check into the Fast XR unit and it did have very favorable reviews but it also uses a resister wire or ballast and my harness although still looks stock carries 12 volts to the positive lead of the coil that would have required I use a ballast resister. I realize that I probably could have used another coil to get around this requirement but staying with recommended hardware especially with a issue of compatibility took that off the list. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.
I ordered a new Pertronix ll the LS series (Lobe Sensing) that is not multi-fire with their recommended coil. If that fails I will likely go back to points, reluctantly!
post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 11:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Hi Mr 4 speed. I just want to let you know I did check into the Fast XR unit and it did have very favorable reviews but it also uses a resister wire or ballast and my harness although still looks stock carries 12 volts to the positive lead of the coil that would have required I use a ballast resister. I realize that I probably could have used another coil to get around this requirement but staying with recommended hardware especially with a issue of compatibility took that off the list. Thank you for your input.
You can reach out to your harness supplier and ask them to make up a new cloth covered resistor wire. I have done this a few times over the years to replace hacked up ones or just plain old missing ones. About $20 and it will come with the correct packard terminal end for the bulk head pre-installed.

Just another option if needed.

FWIW,I run the XRi,and old NAPA oil filled coil painted black with the aforementioned ballast/resistor wire. No issues with the factory installed tach. No performance issues either
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 18, 4:10 PM
Tech Team

Resistance (wire or physical resistor) can be accomplished in the primary of the right coil. Just add the (low) coil pri resistance to the resistance in the wire (or resistor) to get what coil pri resistance is needed, if you are using a non-resistance wire.

Scott
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 18, 4:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Billdini,
Tried to email you filter schematic to the email address above, email bounced back...
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 18, 6:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
Billdini,
Tried to email you filter schematic to the email address above, email bounced back...
I don't understand how you cant send an email. I'm not possessed LOL!
Its [email protected] and I know it works. Update.... I changed out the igniter lll and coil to a non multi-spark Igniter ll with matching coil. Well the car runs better for sure and the scope looks cleaner which explains the misfires until warm but the tach only goes up to maybe 1000 RPMs now. Its better, a little. So as a test I thought that maybe these low impedance coils are part of the problem so I hooked up my original 50 year old coil and it didn't help. Car certainly ran worse and idled poorly showing that these new coils do work. I'm at a loss. I must have two bad tachs or maybe I'm just an idiot. Man I hope its the first choice. Thanks and please try again.
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 3:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hi all,

It was a defective OER tachometer. However I also changed back to a Pertronix ll but the model that doesn't require the magnetic disk and works off the distributor cam lobes. Also to be safe I am using an HEI filter. Thanks to all for your input.
davewho1 likes this.
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 19, 8:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I spoke too soon. Tach is not working again but a little different. This time it goes to -100 RPM's instead of +500RPM.

Does anyone have a working 68 repro OER tachometer on a Pertronix setup? Does anyone have a 68 factory Roller tach working on the same. I am getting ready to call it quits. Even the Tach restoration guys don't want to touch my original that needs a complete overhaul with new electronics...Someone has to know something
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 8:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Nothing wrong with the stock single points system except it cant stay in tune for 50,000 miles as per 1975 EPA rules..
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
Nothing wrong with the stock single points system except it cant stay in tune for 50,000 miles as per 1975 EPA rules..
I can appreciate the fact that points worked for a long time but that doesn't make it a good solution. The last time I used points was in my 70 LT1 Z28 and it wouldn't even start after a few thousand miles without changing the plugs. Variable dwell and 3 to 4 times more spark energy is not a bad thing that these point eliminator units offer. However I am not even sure these tachs work with a stock system. I did go back to the stock coil through a ballast resister and it made no difference. As mentioned previously I cant get a restoration service to update the tach to a stepper motor design. The funny thing is these roller tachs really suck as you cant really see them and many just put another tach on the column. Not an option for me. Also my old two wire dwell/point tester and tach works just fine. I am going to buy a signal generator to see if it will run off a 10 volt variable square wave. I am at a loss here.
hydro462 likes this.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 10:39 PM
Bill

Garage

I am hoping to resurrect this thread since I have a very similar problem and I don't see a solution here.

I decided to install the U14 gauge pack in my 69 SS396 and am regretting it. I bought the gauge from Muscle Factory and the wiring from American Autowire.

The wiring all checks out with 12v to the pink wire and continuity though the brown form the coil. The cluster is grounded and there's not a dedicated ground for the tach that I can see.

I wanted a rev limiter since I have 4.10 gears and picked the Pertronix III system, just like the last caller "Billdini". I am a Bill too and feel a little like we are being picked on with the same issue

I check resistance between the two connectors on the tach and it is infinite. I married two cars together and used the tach signal off the married car which has points and no tach movement on my Chevelle.

My question is does the Pertronix III send out a signal a repro tach can read? Has anyone else been able to get the aftermarket tach work with Pertronix III?

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in