ac delco battery topper cover - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Streib
  • 1 Post By Coppertop
  • 1 Post By Jim Streib

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 5:17 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
johnny

Garage
ac delco battery topper cover

which #group batteries will this fit on top of for a good fit? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 5:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: ac delco battery topper cover

When I bought my battery topper, I then took it to a parts store to see how well it fit what batteries they had to offer and found one that it fit nicely on. It was not a "perfect" fit but was very workable. I was not concerned with the group number of the battery I chose but with the fit so I did not know what it actually was, just that it fit. I also made sure I could peel off any stickers on the sides to give it a cleaner look once it was installed.

Touching back on my comment of not a "perfect" fit, the issue I had was the center to center dimensions of the battery VS the center to center of the holes in the battery topper. Mine were close and I took some time with a round file to get the posts and holes in a LOT better alignment and then this allowed the underside of the battery topper to sit firmly against the top of the battery which was flat.

Here are some pictures of the fit issue I had but was remedied with some time and tools:

And it looks like I was not the only one with poor fit around the posts:

I also modified one of the cap plugs to make it look a little more realistic:

An album with the above pictures and more:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766...h/14421280445/

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 7:31 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
johnny

Garage

jim did you use a water free battery or regular battery with caps, do the caps on topper comes off for regular battery. thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 9:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

I used the Super Start Premium from O'Reilly's:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../34prm/4742368

You cannot use this style with the protrusion on top from the rectangular cell cap covers:

The Topper caps came in a bag along with the topper itself (I just modified the one to look more realistic):

This is the one cap before I modified it, then after I modified it, and how an original looks:

Like I said, I had the topper in hand and THEN went shopping for a battery. I got a kick out of the guy after he asked what vehicle the battery needed to fit and I told him I just need it to fit this cover I have and showed him. He was clueless so I did my own shopping with the batteries on display and for sale. I could give a ratsass as to what the battery I did buy actually fit.

Jim
454bbss likes this.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 10:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I did something close. I had an old ( 1970- O.E.M. Delco) Batt. with the clear plastic eye. I cut the plastic eye down so it just cleared the batt under the topper. Then I used some Testors Model paint ( Green).
Put a dob of green on the Batt. So when you look at the (polished clear plastic eye) Gee Bubba, It looks like a green Delco eye.
I think it is neat the some guys like to do nice DETAILS. I love little details!
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 11:51 PM
Gold Member
Joe

That was a very informative post and job well done on the battery topper....

But

I hate to burst your bubble (and I’ve discussed this before on TC).

A “green eye” is NOT correct. The green eye came later with the introduction of the “Freedom” line (maintenance free) of batteries from AC Delco.

The eye should be “dark” (but not pitch black) with no coloring.

The original eyes (as shown above) dipped into the electrolyte. When the fluid got low, the eye would “glow” off yellow due to the angle of the optics. When fluid was at the right level, the eye tube would be submerged enough to displace the glow and be dark.

Don’t believe me? Check the original service literature including the factory service manuals.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 18, 2:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Here is my reason. My driver is a 1971 Nomad Sta. Wgn. ( its a wreck from a junk yard). NOW its my driver. It has a 468 with a 1970 El Camino front clip. Along with the 700R4, 12 bolt, relays on H. Lights, Electronic servo cruise control, Jeep Steering box, VO-1 cooling system, and a whole lot of other stuff.
Bottom line I call it my FRAUD CAR ( I have papers to prove it ).
Thank god for junkyards, Or I would not have finished this wagon. It is so far from being a correct 1970 or 1971.
It has the look of a 1970 SS 454, I mention to people that Chevrolet made two 1970 SS 454 Sta. wgns. To test a marketing idea. So I tell folks I bought this SS Sta. Wgn. from the " King of Italy ", AND THEN THEY ASK, How much did I pay for it.
The way this thing was built, I think any type of FAKE battery cover goes along with the theme of the Fake or as I call it FRAUD car.
My one owner 454 /M-22 car has a side post , ( it has NO liquid inside the batt.) Glass matt??? Dont know??? I do know it has no liquid in it!
You must remember, " I am a few Fries Short, Of a Happy Meal ". The mind is a terrible thing when you are wasted!
Bob
Way back in the 70s , I may have taken some pills ........ Now I am in my 70s, And Dammit, I have to take pills !

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 18, 2:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
That was a very informative post and job well done on the battery topper....

But

I hate to burst your bubble (and I’ve discussed this before on TC).

A “green eye” is NOT correct. The green eye came later with the introduction of the “Freedom” line (maintenance free) of batteries from AC Delco.

The eye should be “dark” (but not pitch black) with no coloring.

The original eyes (as shown above) dipped into the electrolyte. When the fluid got low, the eye would “glow” off yellow due to the angle of the optics. When fluid was at the right level, the eye tube would be submerged enough to displace the glow and be dark.

Don’t believe me? Check the original service literature including the factory service manuals.

I agree with you Joe 100 percent , but most people think the eye is yellow or green. I got and old yellow delco eye of ebay for $12. and adapted it to topper. It saved me a lot of time trying to make one out a screwdriver. I did leave it yellow, no one has told me it was wrong. Just my 2 cents.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 18, 2:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

No bubble burst here as I modified mine to make it more realistic and it's not 100% just like adding the topper which it too is not 100% correct I just couldn't leave the cap with the painted red center alone which is REALLY unrealistic.

Jim
bobm67 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 367 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.